KatieBK's Story - hCG over 28,000 and No Baby Seen

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

KatieBK's Story - hCG over 28,000 and No Baby Seen

Postby KatieBK » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:45 pm

I just came back from a great 10 week ultrasound and wanted to share my story.

This is my third pregnancy - the first ended in missed miscarriage at 11 weeks, the second went full term and produced my beautiful, healthy son.

In October, I went in for my first appointment at what was 8 weeks based on my LMP, 6w3d based on my calculations. (I always ovulate late, usually around CD 21.) My doctor did the scan, said that he didn't see a fetal pole or heartbeat and was concerned that the sac was too low in my uterus and might have implanted in my cervix, so they drew blood for a quantitative hcg and progesterone and sent me upstairs to the bigger ultrasound machine. The tech up there was able to confirm that it wasn't ectopic and that they could see a yolk sac, but no fetal pole. The doctor called later that evening and told me that my hcg was over 28,000 and progesterone was 13.5. He refused to say for sure that it was a miscarriage, but he did agree that with hcg that high and no fetal pole, it didn't look especially promising. We scheduled another ultrasound for 10 days later, and he told me to call if I had any bleeding or cramping.

At the next ultrasound, which would have been around eight weeks based on when I thought I ovulated, the scan showed a fetal pole measuring 7w1d with a heart rate of 155. After that, the doctor was incredibly confident that things would continue normally, but I was still worried. But three weeks later, sure enough, the follow up scan showed a baby measuring 10 weeks with a great heart rate! I think it's finally starting to sink in. I must have calculated my ovulation date wrong, and I just had crazy high hcg for 5 weeks and change. (That might explain all the nausea and vomiting, right?)

This site gave me a lot of hope during the long wait for that second ultrasound, so I wanted to come back and share my story too!
KatieBK
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: KatieBK's Story - hCG over 28,000 and No Baby Seen

Postby Kay » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Oh Katie, congratulations to you! I am just so happy for you. Your story is going to help so many women. Thank you so much for that I hope you keeps updated on you :) Praying for a quiet and uneventful pregnancy!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories