StillTryingHere's Story - HCG levels raised only 50%

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

StillTryingHere's Story - HCG levels raised only 50%

Postby stilltryinghere » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi everyone!

I decided to share my story with you here, well, my story so far, because I have found some comfort reading some of your stories, and I hope to god that my story will end up being one of those positive stories.

First of all I have to tell you what has happened to me so far: 2 miscarriages.

My first pregnancy ended at 15 weeks because my baby had a full trisomy 9. I ended up going to the hospital at 16 weeks to remove him :( . Pregnancy wise, all went well, other than me being in a very aggressive mood and having a bad feeling since day one

My second pregnancy didn't last very long, it ended at around 6-7 weeks, and I do not know why. I ended up taking abortion inducing pills one week after the baby had died.

I then had my karyotype, and my husbands, and all was well.

We tried again, and got pregnant again.

At 5 weeks 1d, 2 and 3d, I had some slight brownish discharge. But at 5w 3 d, a bit more came out, just about 2 cms. I freaked and I went to the maternity to check what was happening. The doctors said they could see my uterus was enlarged, and the sac, but could not see the baby yet, but it was normal. They told me to wait two more weeks (yeah right).

So I called my doctor. I didnt want her to be my doctor again, but the one I had chosen for this pregnancy was on holidays. She told me to get on baby aspirine, and progesterone and to do the hcg tests.

My first value was 12001, and my second was 18481. It had gone up, but not 100%, more like 50%.

So I texted my doctor with these results and asked the doctor if she wanted to see me.

She said something like " These results tell us that your pregnancy is not evolving like we would like. It is best for you to stop taking everything, and let nature take its course."

I was gutted, shocked, angry, so angry at her. She didn't even want to see me! She never even asked me later if I was ok, nothing!

So I called my mother, crying. Told her I was pregnant again, told her all of the above.

My mother said "No, we are going to my private hospital" and off we went.

Baby was there, heartbeat fine, size fine. This doctor became my new doctor. He told me the hcg results were not encouraging, but he also said that had I not had 2 previous miscarriages, he wouldn't be as worried. He told me it was unfair on the baby to give up, and also put me on lovenox, a blood thinner.

Week six, one 2 cm blob of brown mucus comes out. I panic again, call my mom, tell her it is over. She says "No, we are goin to the hospital" and off we went.

Baby was there, heartbeat fine.

So I keep having regular scans with the first doctor I got at this hospital, all fine.

Week 10, very slight brown discharge, baby was fine, saw baby move, looked so perfect :) I was so happy. My doctor said that by week 12 he wanted me to go off the Lovenox as the risks of having blood clot issues were lower, but I told him I wanted to keep taking it, just in case.

Week 12 and a bit, the dreaded nuchal scan. So nervous, this was the one where I found out my first baby had a plethora of problems, :( , where my world just fell from my feet.

The scan doctor said the baby looked fine, all measurements looked fine, organs looked fine. I cried with relief!

I saw the baby again one more time, around week 14, all seemed fine still.

And now I am on the verge of 17 weeks. I am showing already, my mother wants me to tell everyone before her bday in november (I told her I'll hide my pregnancy from people that 'don't matter that much' (you know what I mean) for as long as I can and want.

I'll be having my next scan on her bday actually. I hope it is good news :/

So this is my story for now. I'll keep you updated here and hopefully one day this will bring a sigh of relief to some very nervous mommies.

Thanks <3
Last edited by stilltryinghere on Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stilltryinghere
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: HCG levels raised only 50%

Postby Sdj » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I've been hanging for the initial scan when they finally find something. Reading your story has helped me to relax a bit as it doesn't end there. I was speaking to my dad the other day when I was telling him of all my concerns and worries and he said "welcome to being a parent, you will worry until the day you take your last breath try to relax and trust your body" that made me smile.
Best of luck and keep us posted
Sdj
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby stilltryinghere » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi Sdj,

I think that by now a sonogram would let you know if the baby is ectopic or not.

Are you having any bleeding or pain?

Thank you for the kind words, I will see the baby the day after tomorrow and I am very nervous. I think I can feel her kick sometimes, even though I have an anterior placenta.

What worries me and haunts my every single day was what that stupid woman told me :(

Fine my baby can be alive, but maybe I had slow rising hcg because something that has so far gone undetected is wrong. :( I hate not being able to relax completely because of this :(

Anyways, I'll give an update pretty soon.

Hang in there!
stilltryinghere
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby stilltryinghere » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Update:

Went to check on the baby and so far all seems well.
I have my morphological scan set for the 7th, so I won't be seeing the baby for about a month (ouch). The doctor also ordered an ecocardiogram , but he did this before the scan, so I wasn't all that worried.
Today I have a birthday party with 30/40 people in it. I'll be trying to hide my belly from them. Oh the dread lol. Wish me luck.
stilltryinghere
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: StillTryingHere's Story - HCG levels raised only 50%

Postby Kay » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Wonderful news indeed. After 6000, hCG levels often slow for many women. I am sorry you weren't given more encouragement! Thank you so much for sharing your story and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby stilltryinghere » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Another update:

Ecocardiogram is fine, morphology scan is also fine, all the apparatus is fine.

My baby is fine.

I still can't believe it :) After the previous two losses and being told to give up on this baby, it is finally OK.

:)
stilltryinghere
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Wonderful update! I am so happy for you!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby stilltryinghere » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks Kay <3
stilltryinghere
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories