Blondie929's Story - Misdiagnosed at 9 Weeks, Baby Found at 10!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Blondie929's Story - Misdiagnosed at 9 Weeks, Baby Found at 10!

Postby blondie929 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:08 pm

I cannot believe I am posting here - this site was a source of great hope and optimism for me during this past week, and I would like to share my story with others.

I had a positive pregnancy test on 7/8 and had my first appointment on 8/11. I should have been about 9w so I was confident that we would see a baby and heartbeat. I got to the appointment and sono tech was very rushed - she wouldn't wait for my husband and told me she wouldn't see me at all if I didn't go right in. As she was doing the sono, she asked me how far along I was. She said, "Well, I am not seeing a 9w baby. In fact, I only see an empty sac and fetal pole measuring 6w3d." I had no idea what she was talking about and luckily my husband came in that very second. She explained what she saw and I did clearly see an empty black circle with a little dot. She said she wished she had better news and told us to wait for the doctor.

The doctor explained it was probably a blighted ovum and all I could do was wait - he would not do a quantitative HCG because it wouldn't tell us what we needed to know. He said the only way to be sure was to come back in 10 days and see if a baby develops. I was in a daze. He said to wait to miscarry or we would hopefully see a baby. I was so upset and began researching everything I could - I knew my dates weren't off, or if they were, it wasn't by much. I have slightly longer cycles but nothing could add up to when I got my positive test if I was in fact earlier than I thought. I'd had an HCG panel done and the numbers were rising perfectly. It didn't make sense. My pregnancy symptoms were overwhelmingly strong, much more than my first pregnancy.

I decided to get a second opinion and was recommended to another doctor. I explained my situation and they were very accommodating. The doctor was wonderful and we spoke at length about my history before doing the sono. We started the sono and right away he said my uterus was tilted. I held my breath and he kept moving the wand but after about a minute, a perfect little 10w baby was bopping around with a strong heartbeat! I was so shocked and relieved! He said there was no way the previous tech could have missed it unless she just did it quickly. And he didn't see anything that would have been mistaken for an empty sac and fetal pole. He said everything looked fine and to come back in 2 weeks for another full appointment, bloodwork and sonogram. I am so happy I went with my gut and found a new, more competent doctor!
blondie929
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Blondie929's Story - Misdiagnosed at 9 Weeks, Baby Found at 10!

Postby Kay » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Congratulations! So happy you decided to share your story here. Just the fact that the doctor saw a fetal pole and still diagnosed a blighted ovum is so disheartening. I've no doubt that doctor has misdiagnosed babies before. Glad you went with that second opinion. Hope you keep us updated on you and your little one!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories