Lynne's Story - Bleeding and Misdiagnosed in ER - Heartbeat Foun

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Lynne's Story - Bleeding and Misdiagnosed in ER - Heartbeat Foun

Postby Lynne2392 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:01 pm

My story starts early Saturday morning, I woke up around 6am and had a overwhelming wet feeling. I went to the bathroom and noticed I was bleeding. Not a little bit of blood, A LOT. I went back to the bedroom trying not to panic, I knew some bleeding is normal in pregnancy so I was hoping this was my case. I laid back down but within minutes I knew I was still bleeding so I again returned to the bathroom. This time I passed a huge clot about the size of my palm. I immediately got in my car and drove to the ER. Once I arrived in the ER i was immediately having my blood taken followed by an abdominal ultrasound and then a transvaginal ultrasound. It felt like an eternity laying there while the ultrasound tech looked around. She had to have been looking for at least 20 minutes, the whole time the screen was turned away from me and the tech had the most stern face, every minute that past I started to lose hope. Once I returned to the hospital room the doctor gave me a pelvic exam. She told me she had to clear away more clots and that my cervix felt open, that she was confident in telling me I am having a miscarriage. I was then told there was no fetal pole or heartbeat found on my ultrasound. They dated me at 6 weeks 5 days and assured me they would be able to see something by now. I was then sent home to have a natural miscarriage, my choice I didn't want the pill I was offered. I curled up on the couch and went to sleep. Three hours later I woke up and realized the pad I was wearing was perfectly clean, no blood at all. This is weird I thought. That's when I started to google and came across this site, it gave me hope but I was cautious as I was guaranteed I was miscarrying. Fast forward to Monday, I still have not bled since my ER visit. I happened to already have an ultrasound scheduled this day so I went in and told the tech I was diagnosed with a miscarriage on Saturday. When she heard my story she seemed kind of doubtful. I had another transvaginal ultrasound and within seconds, literally I think maybe 2 seconds passed before the tech said there's the heartbeat. I started crying I was so happy. I was then dated at only 6 weeks which would've made me 5 weeks 5 days when I was told I was having a miscarriage. I'm sure ER doctors can be right when diagnosing miscarriages but based off my experience I would push anyone to get a second opinion!
Lynne2392
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Lynne's Story - Bleeding and Misdiagnosed in ER - Heartbeat Foun

Postby Kay » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Congratulations! My first pregnancy was that way but I was 12 weeks when I started bleeding. Thankfully nobody in the ER pushed for a D&C because I am sure I would have had one. Was shocked when we found his heartbeat a couple days later!

I am just so happy for you. Please, keep us updated on you and your pregnancy :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories