Hillery's Story - Diagnosed Blighted Ovum After Only One Ultrasound

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Hillery's Story - Diagnosed Blighted Ovum After Only One Ultrasound

Postby Kay » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:07 pm

(sent via email)

Hi,

I just want to say thank you so much for your page. It gave me hope when I had nothing left at all! Here is my story....

On April 8, 2015, I, along with my husband and two children, went to the doctor to confirm our 3rd pregnancy. After trying to conceive for over 9 months, we finally got a positive result and were super excited for this appointment. After my second pregnancy, I had an iud which caused my cycles to be out of whack. On paper, my last menstrual cycle was January 22, 2015. This meant that at the time of appointment the baby should have been around 10 weeks along. However, since we were trying I was tracking everything. I knew for a fact that the baby was conceived on March 7, 2015 and that baby was only about 6 weeks along. I estimated the due date as November 28, 2015. I knew right away that my doctor was not listening to my beliefs of the baby being 6 weeks and my cycles being so off when she immediately tried to listen for a heartbeat. You can't hear the heartbeat until at least 10 weeks. Then she took us into the ultrasound room to check the baby. After a few minutes she informed us that we needed to go to the hospital for a follow up ultrasound saying she is having a hard time determine the fetal age. There was never an expressed concern, so we weren't concern at that time. We went for the ultrasound and the technician said he thought I was 5-6 weeks along. We left the hospital at ease.
The phone call came a few hours later in the middle of dinner. It was my doctor. She informed me that I had a condition called Blighted Ovum. It meant that everything had formed to support a baby, but the baby itself did not form. She said I should expect to miscarry within the next two weeks and if I hadn't by then, I could come in for a D&C, meaning she would take out everything that was remaining. She insisted that these things happen and I would be able to try again shortly. It didn't matter. I was devastated. I spent hours crying. My husband and my children were all upset.

A few days later, I took it upon myself to research the diagnosis. Nothing seemed to add up. Everything I read said that a diagnosis shouldn't be made before 10-12 weeks. There were tons of stories about misdiagnosis. It brought me some hope. My sister in law urged that I make an appointment with her doctor for a second opinion. I made the appointment, but it was 2 weeks out.

In the mean time my husband and family were supportive. Lifting my spirits on a daily basis. They continually said prayers for the baby and our family. I went back and forth with emotions. I didn't want to get my hopes up but she had to be wrong.

On April 21, 2015, my husband and I went to a new doctor for a second opinion. The first thing she wanted was an ultrasound. This would give us the answers we needed. I was terrified. The technician began and immediately, a perfect little baby popped up on the screen, directly followed by a strong heartbeat. We both immediately cried tears of happiness and relief. I continued care with the new doctor and she expressed how glad she was that I sought a second opinion. If I hadn't, can you imagine what would have happened? Unthinkable.

Fast forward to November 2015, beautiful and very healthy baby girl was born. This Thanksgiving, and every day after, consider all you have to be grateful for. I know for my family, our greatest blessing this year was that misdiagnosis and the birth of this beautiful child. Always trust your instinct and never make decisions on one diagnosis.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Hillery's Story - Diagnosed Blighted Ovum After Only One Ultrasound

Postby Kay » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:17 pm

I am just so glad you shared your story. So many women know exactly when they conceived but doctors won't listen. I was one of them and it was frustrating. Your story helps illustrate a few things. First, if you know your dates and the doctor's dates are different, try not to worry when they diagnose you too soon. Second, a blighted ovum should NEVER be diagnosed after only one ultrasound (avoid any doctor who does this). Third, get those second opinions.

Congratulations to you!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories