MISDIAGNOSED - High HCG and dropping

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

MISDIAGNOSED - High HCG and dropping

Postby marne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:47 am

I don't normally write on any of the message boards but I have spent the last year of my life reading them. My husband and I have lost 2 babies (week 8 for both) and I am currently pregnant again for the 3rd time. This past week has been extremely hard for us and I thought I would share my story. If this can help at least one person have hope I would be happy.

At 7w2d I had some spotting which prompted my midwife to send me for tests the following day. She set me up for a rush U/S and blood work to test my HCG levels (now 7w3d). U/S went great showing a baby measuring 7w1d with a heartbeat of 159 bpm. My HCG levels came back at 161,000. Everyone seemed happy and said there was no cause for concern. They had originally wanted me to have follow up HCG levels to ensure they were still rising appropriately but now said it was up to us if we wanted to go forward with more blood work. Since we had a good ultrasound they didn't seem to concerned anymore.

My husband and I decided that we would continue with the blood work considering our past and also that I still had some light spotting. At 7w5d I had my 2nd blood test which came back at 145,000. My midwife called to let me know that it had dropped which is not a good sign but we wouldn't know more until I did another test.

8w1d my blood work came back at 124,000. Again my midwife called to let me know of the drop and said it wasn't looking good. My numbers were consistently dropping which was almost a sure sign of miscarriage. My family also called me (the results were automatically forwarded to his office) and told me to go straight to the emergency room since it wasn't looking good. My midwife sent in another U/S request for us to confirm the miscarriage.

My husband and I were devastated and exhausted from everything we went through. We called our OB to let her know I was having another miscarriage and to make an appointment to determine our next move. We also talked about going to counselling to help us deal with it.

The U/S was scheduled for 8w3d and we had to drive to a different city to get in so soon. The U/S tech asked us our story and we told her we were there to confirm a miscarriage. The second the U/S machine touched my stomach she said" well there is a baby with heartbeat!". We couldn't believe it! The baby was now measuring 8w6d and had a heartbeat of 174 bpm.

Overall, everybody was shocked and confused. They think my HCG levels peaked and started to drop really early which would explain the blood work. The midwives did say it was extremely rare that HCG levels would peak so early but that doesn't mean it is impossible!
marne
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: High HCG and dropping

Postby HopefulAlicia » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:12 pm

That's awesome news, I'm so happy for you! :)8
HopefulAlicia
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: High HCG and dropping

Postby Kay » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:42 pm

Congratulations! I can't believe they'd schedule a D&C with the heart still beating. That is just terrible! Numbers do plateau and drop. That can be normal. Please, keep us updated on you :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories