Remaining hopeful - Canceled D&C - MISDIAGNOSED!!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Remaining hopeful - Canceled D&C - MISDIAGNOSED!!!

Postby TLex » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi all, a bit of a back story. I am 36 with a 12 year old daughter (from a previous marriage), my fiance and I have been trying for a baby since Feb as we are both getting up in age and he has no children. I had a miscarriage back in June at about 6 weeks along. I had started a bit of spotting and then a tinge of red blood. The doctor did a few ultrasounds and monitored my HCG for about a week; at its highest it was 4200 but then began to fall, at that point I made the decision to end it and took medication to induce the miscarriage.

I am now pregnant again (I believe I am about 6 weeks 2 days-judging by when I think I conceived) but my cycles are long, 33 days, so I get a bit confused with the dating. Anyway, about a week ago I had a bit of pink spotting when wiping (which obviously had me in a panic because that's how it all began last time), so I went back to the GYN and got my blood drawn and an ultrasound last week on Thurs. My HCG was good,10,000, and I was only about 5.5 weeks, but they could only see the gestational sack in the ultrasound (the did a vaginal), my doctor gave me the results a few days later and told me the pregnancy wasn't viable because at 10,000 they should be able to see a yolk sack and fetal pole and that I should take the medication again or schedule a D & C. I opted to have the D & C because I didn't want to go through weeks of heavy bleeding (I have an active job). I did request to have one more blood test done just to be sure my levels weren't rising, that was done yesterday (Monday). Anyway after reading through a lot of posts on this site, I decided that I thought the docs were wrong and that it was just too early to see anything, so I called and cancelled the D & C, even without getting the second set of HCG levels back. Well about an hour ago, the doc called me to tell me that my levels have risen to 23000!! so that's doubling in about 2.5 days (which is great!), and she said that I shouldn't have the procedure (DUH!). I go back on Thurs for another ultrasound, so that will be a week between the two. I am still fearful, but so happy I trusted my gut and did some research instead of blindly following the doctor's advice.

I will follow up and let you know how the ultrasound goes, but fingers crossed all goes as it should!!

I would also like to add that I was told in my teens by a gyno that I had a tilted uterus (although no doc since then have mentioned it) and I have also put on about 100lbs since my pregnancy 12 years ago, so I am quite overweight. I am wondering if all these issues combined also contributed to them not seeing things?

Thanks so much to everyone here for sharing their stories and giving hope to those of us who are told we shouldn't have any!! Trust your gut, and your body, and be informed. Just because they have an MD doesn't mean they know everything!

xoxo
TLex
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Remaining hopeful

Postby Kay » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Just remember, that if the gestational sac is growing and there are no complications, you want to wait until it measures more than 25mm before being diagnosed. I think it is terrible that you were already diagnosed. I wonder how many viable pregnancies they have ended.

Please, keep us updated. (((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby jessap13 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:04 pm

Wondering if you've had your ultrasound yet? Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good work on following your gut.
jessap13
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby TLex » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:51 am

Sorry for the late followup. I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks where they heard and saw the heartbeat, and then I had another one yesterday (at 9 weeks) and the heart is still going strong and the baby is measuring as it should. I still spot almost daily, and they can't figure out why (no Subchorionic hemorrhage seen in ultrasound), so I worry daily, wondering if it will all of a sudden get worse. I'm hoping that as in other stories I've read, that after the first trimester the bleeding/spotting will stop.

Best of luck to everyone!!
TLex
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:03 am

Congratulations on that heartbeat! And, to think, they were going to do a D&C! I bled and spotted throughout the entire second semester of my first pregnancy. I think the thing that helped the most was when my doctor told me to quit work and just take it easy during my pregnancy. Found out after delivery that there had been some serious issues with the placenta but my son was fine.

Please, keep us updated on you and congratulations!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories