No heartbeat at 7w2d MISDIAGNOSED!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

No heartbeat at 7w2d MISDIAGNOSED!

Postby fabcrab » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:52 pm

I wanted to share my story because I can't begin to express how grateful I am of this message board. On Oct 12 (7w2d), I had a transvaginal ultrasound at my obgyn's office and they could not find a heartbeat. I was first seen by a midwife I have never met before who asked if I had struggled with fertility and I said yes and she rudely stated "I'm a midwife I only deal with low risk pregnancies" and proceeded to get the nurse practitioner I normally see. When the CNP showed up she also could not get a heartbeat from the ultrasound. She then told me that the pregnancy is 100% not viable especially since I am so confident with my dates due to me having to take Femara and a trigger shot. She stated I had three options: 1) natural miscarriage- which can prolong the horrible experience for weeks 2) shots or pills which may cause hemorrhaging 3) D&C which is highly recommended in and out procedure that only really takes 5 minutes. She also stated that miscarriages are generally due to a genetic abnormality and most likely the fetus had "downs". I was panicking and basically signed the paperwork for the D&C and had an appointment scheduled for 24 hours later. I felt that she was nothing more than a D&C sales person.

A few hours later, my husband and I went to lunch and I couldn't get myself to order margaritas even though I am under impression that my baby stopped developing and I had my D&C appt the next day. My husband found this site and we started questioning our decision to schedule the procedure so quickly. I called the office and I insisted on an hcg test before making a definite decision because I was not 100% convinced of the miscarriage. My beta that day was 78,000 then I had it taken 2 days later on Oct 14 and the value went up to 96,000. The office scheduled another ultrasound for me the following day but I stated that I decided to go to another practice for a second opinion.

I went to another practice today and this time they had the sweetest sonographer than greeted us. I told her not to expect much as they did not find a heartbeat 2 days ago and we're just here fearing the worst. She was so compassionate and told me that even if that was the case I should not have been pressured to do the procedure so quickly. LOW AND BEHOLD when she did the ultrasound the heartbeat was there at 153 bpm and the fetus was measuring at 7w2d and I am 7w5d based on my last period. I felt like I was going into the funeral and the deceased raised up from the casket.
fabcrab
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: No heartbeat at 7w2d MISDIAGNOSED!

Postby Kay » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:20 am

Thank you again for sharing your story! I once talked to a doctor and he told me that many offices push D&Cs because they are quick and easy plus there is less chance of them getting a call in the middle of the night when somebody has a natural miscarriage.

I am so glad you and your husband found this site. It has been more than 12 years for me and, sometimes when I look at my daughter, I get a little overwhelmed by the thought that they tried to pressure me to end my pregnancy. Can't imagine my life without her!

Please, keep us updated on you and your little one!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby fabcrab » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Thank you again for having this site. I learned a little bit more today. It turned out the fetal pole in the original ultrasound was a uterine polyp! The nurses were not able to get a good image in the ultrasound therefore no heartbeat! The Dr in the practice that initially misdiagnosed me saw the images and knew right away that it was not the fetal pole. The Dr ended up having a good talk with my husband where he explained that he has put new policies in place to prevent this from happening again. From now on before a miscarriage decision is made, a scan needs to be done multiple times and multiple days and that he will need to make that call and not his nurses. Anyways, I feel great that he has taken the right direction in preventing this from happening again in his practice which is really all I care for. He has also volunteered to compensate us with his services but my husband stated that we are not here to get any freebies or money but we would just like to see better procedures in place. He thanked us for our stubbornness and he said this experience have been invaluable for his practice. The nurse that misdiagnosed me have been so emotionally distraught that she had to take today off. Overall I have forgiven everyone involved and would rather focus on the positive and I am immensely thankful that my pregnancy is currently healthy at the moment.
fabcrab
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Wow, your pregnancy really changed things in that office. If they aren't already aware, we talk a lot on here about how the UK has changed it's guidelines. If the gestational sac is growing, it needs to be over 25mm before diagnosing a miscarriage. This would prevent probably 90% or more of misdiagnosed miscarriages!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories