misdiagnosed blighted ovum at 8+weeks

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

misdiagnosed blighted ovum at 8+weeks

Postby fathima » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:50 am

hi i am fathi.
i am just back from the doctor realizing my blighted ovum wasnt actually a blighted ovum!
i came to know we are pregnant with our fourth baby on aug 25th and my LMP was july 17th.i went to doctor for a scan when i was supposed to be 8 weeks and 2 days.in the scan all we could see was a big sac with othung inside.no yolk sac or nothing,just a big water sac.the doctor was almost sure it was a blighted ovum because there should be a baby by the time the sac is this size.i was really disappointed to hear that i may have to go through a D&C.the doctor asked to wait for 1 more week to do the D&C.i got home and just surfed and found this site.i saw many many stories of misdiagosis and so i decided to wait for 2 istead of 1 week.though i had a bit of hope after reading so many storied here i was almost sure i will have to do a D&C as all my previous prgnancies were visible in the scan way before 7 weeks and that means i didnt have a tilted uterus which made it impossible to see a tiny baby in the scan.but still with hope and confidence this site gave me i decided to wait for 2 weeks which crawled like 2 years. and finally i went for my scan today and tada!!!! there the baby is!!with prefect heartbeat and moving its hands and legs E> E> .i couldnt believe my eyes.i have never seen my babies so active this early.
thank you so much for this site,may God bless you and may this site helps i saving many lives
fathima
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: misdiagnosed blighted ovum at 8+weeks

Postby Kay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:39 am

Yay!!! Congratulations! If doctors are not monitoring the gestational sac and it is growing, they shouldn't even suggest a blighted ovum before 25mm. The guidelines changed in recently in the UK and they are about to change here. At least I am assuming they will change soon because medical journals are finally backing up what we've been saying for years.

thank you so much for sharing your story. You are going to help so many women and that is so appreciated. Please, keep us updated on you. Women love to read the updates.

edited to add, decided to blog about this :)
http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... abies.html
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby ws9448 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:04 pm

I know this is from a while ago... but I wanted to thank you for posting this. I've been having a hard time finding stories of an "empty sac" at 8+ weeks. Mine was at 8w6d and I am due for another u/s on 9w6d. I am now thinking of waiting another week to go to see the Dr.
ws9448
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Wincel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi Fathi,

Congratulations!your story really inspired me and give me hope.I'm on the same boat and was about to schedule for d&c but I changed my mind and scheduled for another U/S instead. It will happen next week and will give an update.
I am so depressed since last wk. after knowing that i have a blighted ovum, they only see an empty gestational sac and my doctor and sonographer didn't tell me the size of the sac and just gave me 3 options (pass it naturally,medication, d&c). I think they based the sac with my LMP which should not be since I have an irregular menstruation which I ovulate late.I have no bleedings though my symptoms are declining but I have new symptom like i have no appetite at all.
Again thank you for sharing your story, you never know how many of us touched with your story and needed this. Now i am 100% not giving up with my baby :-)
Wincel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories