Fletch3's Story - There IS HOPE with a Large Yolk Sac

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Fletch3's Story - There IS HOPE with a Large Yolk Sac

Postby Fletch3 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Good Evening All,
If you are like myself, you have just received some devastating news and came to the internet to find statistics, hope, and success stories. While I like yourself have found countless articles both scientific and one that paints a grim picture...I am here to say hang on and I am going through this right now.
I am a 37 year old mother of 2 out of 7 pregnancies, so I am no stranger to miscarriages, nor have or does it get easier! Four of them occurred prior to my successful pregnancies, and with those we had first and second trimester loses. We did find out with my first son that I have an incompetent cervix and so with three hospital stays, bed rest, home monitoring, and a tribuline pump, he was delivered at 35 weeks as healthy as could be. Our second son came two years later, but we were prepared and sewed him in at 12 weeks and did not let him come out until 36, again healthy. Soon after we became pregnant but lost that one at 6 weeks due to chromosomal problems. Which now brings me to today...
It has taken us 9 years to conceive again, so as you might imagine we are filled with joy, happiness, and worry, lots and lots of worry! Our first ultrasound was taken at 5w5d due to some moderate bleeding and all was seen to be ok. The yolk sac and embryo were both growing and measuring great and even had a heart rate of 100 already. My husband and I were so excited that we felt we could at least tell our parents. Then at 8w3d we had our regular OB and ultrasound at our normal "high-risk" doctor. Since we were last there 9 years ago, they got a new women that we saw during this visit. The first words out of her mouth were high and it looks like you are going to miscarry this one...WHAT!?! We just saw a fetus that measured three days ahead, moving, and we had never thought about the yolk sac. She then proceeded to say that the yolk sac was measuring 10mm and that is a certain predictor of a pending miscarriage. My husband and I both left the office devastated and in tears. As soon as I got home, I did not return to work as I was in no shape to teach, and started to Google. Well, that was a mistake, all I saw was doom and gloom until I came across this site. So I hung on to those stories, called my OB office and demanded that I see my "normal" doctor that had gotten me to the point of delivering two healthy boys 11 and 9 years ago. I just went back today 10 days after her assessment. As you can imagine, I was prepared to see a baby with no heart rate and kept apologizing to my husband for yet again failing at this. We got a different ultrasound tech and my normal doctor in the room. She knew we were on the verge of tears and turned the screen towards us and said that we would find out together E> ! So the moment of truth...There lies our jumping bean...yes jumping, the little squirt would not sit still, and had us all laughing. So this little angel measures 9w5d, heart rate at 168, and yolk sac at 5mm. The doctor said he sees no reason that this should not be a healthy pregnancy and he expects to sew me shut in in 10 days to keep the little jumping bean in. He apologized for the worry that we were put through, and when the heart beat is so strong, he rarely goes by the yolk sac. So while we are not out of the woods all the way, I have a strong feeling of hope and the doubt is diminishing, but lets be honest, it will never go away until we are holding the angel in our arms. And even then, the worry will never stop, just changes to different topics as they grow. I hope to keep you updated as I go through this pregnancy, and really hope that the ending post will say...(s)he is here, healthy and blessed! :H
Last edited by Fletch3 on Tue May 19, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fletch3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: There IS HOPE with a Large Yolk Sac

Postby Kay » Mon May 18, 2015 9:55 pm

I am so glad you shared your story here. A number of women over the years have been through the same thing and gone on to have perfectly healthy babies.

Honestly, those measurements are not really all that accurate. I've blogged about studies showing that one tech can get a measurement and then another tech the same day can get a very different measurement.

I am so happy for you! I do hope you keep us updated. The 'enlarged yolk sac' stories here are very well followed and you'll give so many women hope! I am just praying that the rest of your pregnancy is just as uneventful as possible :)

Yay!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Fletch3's Story - There IS HOPE with a Large Yolk Sac

Postby Kay » Tue May 19, 2015 8:02 am

You inspired today's blog post:

http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... arged.html

Too many women are given no hope because of an enlarged yolk sac. I really believe doctors need to take another approach.
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Fletch3 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Ok,
I know that all of you that are clicking on this link are looking for a miracle answer. I went in today for my 11w5d scan, and the angel waved to us and then the heart stopped...really that is what happened:-( We waited for 10 minutes to resume the ultrasound to make sure what we saw was real. We say the baby laying still and no heart beating. I am so sorry that I am not able to give those that are looking at this post hope, and can only say that my heart is yet again broken and am now waiting for the miscarriage to start. I can not mentally go through another D&C and hope that my body will do what it needs, so that I can see and say goodbye to the little angel that have talked to for the last 9 weeks :(O
Fletch3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Oh no! So the heart was beating and then no beat? Please, just to be certain ask for one final ultrasound if you do decide to have the D&C. Often, after ten weeks, a D&C is needed. Praying for you and feeling heartbroken :(
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories