Mommie48soon's Story -Told 2x to take Methotrexate -Twins Found!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Mommie48soon's Story -Told 2x to take Methotrexate -Twins Found!

Postby mommie48soon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:48 am

Hello. I have been fortunate enough to be blessed with 6 children. After 6 years, not on BC, being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and other deficiencies-the correction in my chemistry permitted my body to conceive. Imagine my surprise thinking I have the flu and going to emergency room, only to be told, 'Were you aware that you are pregnant? '. That being said, while surprised, I was excited as was my hubby. The hcg quantitive done in the hospital came back as 447. I made a follow up with a brand new ob/gyn. Upon her entering the room, she immediately began telling me my hcg was too low to sustain a viable pregnancy. WHAT? Again, I've had 6. I have never had a doctor start a visitation off like this. Mind you, I hadn't done the baby dance in 10 months, so I know the exact day within 24 hours I conceived. This doctor tells me to come back in2 days to have hcg levels checked. (I found out I was pregnant, 8 days after the deed).... I go back in and then follow up to get results. At this point, doc says, ' well, I guess I was right because your levels are at 390.' I was saddened. What shocked me most was the next thing to come from her mouth- she said based on my medical history (none of which ever interfered with my pregnancies), my age (37), the fact that I already have 6, I should have my ovaries removed or just get a full on hysterectomy. Again, WHAT? Curious if this was something she would say to a 30 year old woman, I asked her. Then I Asked if it was common practice that before anything can even be seen, she assumes non viability? Her response was I was not being responsible with my body, health and for my future. Fast forward, 6 weeks(u/s performed). Hcg levels now at 1897. Slow rise but there, remember I have a thyroid issue. She then diagnosed a blighted ovum. I had never heard of it. She explained a fertilized egg stops developing. I asked so what do we do? She suggested methotrexate. I declined. 2 days later, hcg level plummeted and I bled. Just 16 days after the last day the bleeding stopped, I wasn't feeling well. Hubby in an attempt to cheer me up took me out and we came home for some lovin'. 7 days this time, I was still feeling pregnant. I survived breast cancer, I'm very aware of my breast. They were hurting and sore. I took an hpt. BFP+++, thinking this was remainder still, I go reluctantly go back to this ob's office. Hcg level check, she does a transvaginal u/s. Says there is only a gestational Sac, that I'm more than likely newly pregnant and again is a blighted ovum. I go in for all my hcg tests, the numbers are all over the place. They started off really high, then came down, then slowly rose. At what they could guess, 6 weeks, not only did I not have a blighted ovum, or losing the pregnancy or having a chemical pregnancy BUT there was an anomaly. She suggested again the medication to simulate expulsion. I switched doctors, 2 weeks later, the new ob gave me a lifelong wish come true. I was having twins. Even more miraculous was I am pregnant with identical twins. Gestational Sac was measuring a little large and first fetal pile they were able to find was on the small side. Explanation, they took a little longer to develop. I'm glad I went with my instincts. I filed a complaint for ethical practices being violated because if her own personal agenda against older women having children. Do NOT give up any type of hope until at least 9 weeks. Most abnormalities, defects resolved themselves. In today's society, doctors rather than have the patience, they are on auto pilot and suggest d&c or the drugs. Hcg is something to confirm pregnancy not viability. Mine on the chart looked like a Rollercoaster. Another thing I've looked into is that though rare but possible, hcg can start high, stay level then increase slowly. This doesn't mean no bean growing definitely. I'm now 6 months and very healthy, as well as my twin surprise miracles. Baby dust to ALL TTC! 8)O
mommie48soon
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Mommie48soon's Story -Told 2x to take Methotrexate -Twins Found!

Postby Kay » Wed May 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your story!

So, I have to ask, did you conceive again or were you pregnant the entire time?

Congratulations!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Mommie48soon's Story -Told 2x to take Methotrexate -Twins Found!

Postby Nrod77 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:16 pm

This story brought tears to me eyes. Praying for a miracle outcome like yours!
Nrod77
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories