Korin's Story - Diagnosed Blighted ovum 5wks 6days - UPDATE!! MISDIAGNOSED!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Korin's Story - Diagnosed Blighted ovum 5wks 6days - UPDATE!! MISDIAGNOSED!

Postby connorsmama » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi, my name is Korin.
My husband and I found out we were expecting our third child on march 2nd with a positive test.
we havent been trying for a child, and use protection every time. However on february 15th we did have an "oops". I am 100% positive that this is the day we concieved as my LMP was feb 1-3 and I was most certainly ovulating.
Upon calling my midwife she scheduled me for my first u/s and visit on 3/19.
When we went into my u/s the technician found my gestational sac, however could not find the embryo. after waiting in the waiting room the midwife brought me back and told me she believed i had a blighted ovum and was to send me to the lab for blood tests. then i was sent home. later that night, the nurse called me and informed me that according to my Hcg levels (22k range) I should have an embryo with a beating heart, and since they didnt find it, they diagnosed me with a blighted ovum.
however I feel this is wrong. because A. my gestational sac was measuring 6 weeks, (right on with lmp and conception date) and my HCG levels were in the normal range.
the midwife didnt reccomend further testing, however i called them today to request further testing. as i am not scheduling a d&c and my husband and i are certain with our dates.

PLEASE PRAY

UPDATE:
ultrasound today on 3/31 showed BABY and a heartbeat! 8weeks today. Edd is November 10th
Last edited by connorsmama on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
connorsmama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Diagnosed Blighted ovum 5wks 6days

Postby Kay » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 am

Honestly, I think your midwife's office is terribly irresponsible. Many women do not see their babies this early and there are many women who do not see their babies with numbers much higher than yours.

I like the UK's new guidelines. They state if the gestational sac is growing, a blighted ovum should not even be suggested before the sac measures at least 25mm. Even then you should wait a week because measurements can vary by 4 or 5 mms depending upon the tech.

Please, keep us updated. You may want to find a new doctor and wait a week between ultrasounds if there are no complications. (((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby MamaBee » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:51 am

I was diagnosed with a BO at twelve weeks with a gestational sac that measured for six weeks. My HCG level was around 4000 at twelve weeks. I was correctly diagnosed. Your story does not sound like mine. That's a good thing! :)
MamaBee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby connorsmama » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:24 am

Levels rose to 39k as of yesterday. Repeat ultrasound scheduled for tues March 31st
connorsmama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby connorsmama » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:59 pm

Ultrasound today showed a baby and a heartbeat! 8weeks today. Edd is November 10th
connorsmama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Diagnosed Blighted ovum 5wks 6days - UPDATE!! MISDIAGNOSED!

Postby MamaBee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:57 am

YES!!!!!! Congratulations!

I hope the midwife has a really good explanation or apology for the traumatizing misdiagnosis.
MamaBee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Diagnosed Blighted ovum 5wks 6days - UPDATE!! MISDIAGNOSED!

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:52 am

I am so happy for you! Congratulations! I would love to hear what the midwife had to say as well.
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Korin's Story - Diagnosed Blighted ovum 5wks 6days - UPDATE!! MISDIAGNOSED!

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:45 pm

I ended up mentioning your story in today's blog post:

Another Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum Because Of High hCG Levels and No Baby Seen
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Re: Korin's Story - Diagnosed Blighted ovum 5wks 6days - UPDATE!! MISDIAGNOSED!

Postby sarak » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:49 pm

Thank you for sharing your story! It gives me hope, as my story is somewhat similar.

Wishing you the very best and I am hopeful for a similar outcome with my future tests....
sarak
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories