Clara's Story - Misdiagnosed after IVF

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Clara's Story - Misdiagnosed after IVF

Postby Clara » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi to all,

I was told last week on the 5th of March that I had an empty gestational sac at my first scan,five weeks and five days. This was my third embryo transfer from ivf. I can't described the heartache and tears that followed, it was my 38th birthday and I was being told it was all over. The nurse who scanned me said how sorry she was and discussed a d&c in a follow up call.I asked her could my tipped uterus be a factor. She said that wouldn't make a difference. My partner and I went into plan for the next round mode and I pulled myself together. I found this site and cried some more but found great support from everyone's stories.

We had the follow up scan this morning, in our minds it was a courtesy scan to confirm the inevitable. However immediately we spotted a blob,a circle and a heartbeat. I cried and my partner swore in shock. He nearly cried too. I asked could it have been due to my retroverted uterus and she said not a chance, she even said she asked the gynae last week and he said not a chance, most likely a blighted ovum. I honestly believe our tiny baby to be was hiding ' down the back' of my tipped uterus. I know we are not out of the woods but I have huge hope we can make it. I caution anyone being scanned so early to bide their time and have hope. This site is a blessing. Thank you so much to everyone who posted their stories for the comfort it gave me during such a horrible lonely time. Xxxx
Clara
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: If You Have Been DEFINITELY MISDIAGNOSED...

Postby MamaBee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Oh, Clara! What a sweet story!

So what did the nurse or gynae give any other explanation for their misdiagnosis? ;-)
MamaBee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Clara's Story - Misdiagnosed after IVF

Postby Kay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:29 am

Oh my goodness, I am shocked at how quick they were to diagnose you. That is incredibly worrisome.

I linked to a study on this page: http://carikay11.hubpages.com/hub/IVFMi ... iscarriage Your doctor needs to be made aware that up to 1/3 of women show one to two weeks behind during IVF and are just fine. Of course, we know here that is because of the uterus being tilted but some doctors are far too stubborn to admit that is the case. If they did admit it, they'd also have to admit they've likely taken a number of babies too soon.

Please, keep us updated. Praying for a nice, normal and even boring pregnancy here for you from here on out :)

Congratulations!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories