IVF - Hcg started high, but not doubling...BABY FOUND!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

IVF - Hcg started high, but not doubling...BABY FOUND!

Postby Beachykeen79 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:43 pm

High all, just had my first IVF with 2 embryos. my HCG 12dp3dt was 522. I was excited because this was high. Then 46 hours later it was 822, a rise of 60% (72 hr doubling time), then 48 hours later it was 1245 ( 50% rise, or 80 hr doubling time). My RE wants it to go up at least 66% over 48 hrs. They are testing me again in one week, and doing an early ultrasound next week. They said it could be that one embryo is miscarrying, or both, or it could be ectopic.
Does anyone think there is any hope for a healthy pregnancy? I'm preparing myself for the worst. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter,
Beachykeen79
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Hcg started high, but not doubling...

Postby MamaBee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't know. But it sounds very stressful to be so closely monitored. Hang in there!
MamaBee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Beachykeen79 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks for the support Mamabee!
Beachykeen79
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby angelicasazi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi there,
I'm in a very similar situation with #'s on par with yours. I have an ultrasound tomorrow because the doc wants to see what's going on in there. I'll report back tomorrow as well. Here are my betas over the past week. I used this site here to calculate my doubling times and increase: http://perinatology.com/calculators/betahCG.htm

18 dpt5dt = 963
20 dpt5dt = 1565 (68.52 hours, 62.5% increase)
22 dpt5dt = 2354 (81.5 hours, 50.4%)
25 dpt5dt (3 days later) = 3,995 (94.35 hours, 42.3 %)

So clearly, my doubling time is increasing. This could be on account of the higher overall hcg numbers. After 1500-2000, the doubling times is expected to begin to slowing down, and might be take 72-96 hrs to double.

I have no cramping or bleeding of any sort, and am on progesterone suppositories. I'm estimating I'll be about 5 wks, 6 dys at tomorrow's ultrasound, so they may expect to see at least the yolk and sac, and if lucky, a heartbeat. My non-stop hours of googling and research lead me to believe that this can go either way. Still hopeful, of course, but realistic. This was my first IVF, but 2nd miscarriage (1st from natural pregnancy). We transferred 2 embryos, one of which was a perfect hatching blastocyst. By the way, I was told the same thing - that it could be that 2 embryos latched on, but one is not doing very well. My doc didn't believe it was ectopic, because in his opinion that's less than a 1% chance of happening.

Best of luck! and i'll keep you posted. Please don't despair. Women's bodies are too complex to be reduced to #'s, in my opinion. And I'm an epidemiologist...
angelicasazi
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby angelicasazi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:35 am

Hi All,
I wanted to give an update...So far, good news. This morning, the doc found a yolk, sac, and pole, all measuring like its supposed to at 5.5 wks. I can't tell you how relieved I am!! He advised me not to worry about the #'s. They are just averages. He said that at this point, its best to rely on the ultrasounds.
They did also scan my entire womanly parts to see if the 2nd embryo was anywhere in sight. They were working on the premise that the #'s may have been explained by a the 2nd embryo trying to attach but not making it. They also wanted to rule out a heretopic (?) pregnancy - one in the uterus and one stuck elsewhere.
I have my next ultrasound next Monday. I plan to take it easy and force myself to relax. The past few weeks has been nothing but torment.
I wish everyone on here the very best!
angelicasazi
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Beachykeen79 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:22 am

Thanks for the update angelicasazi!! I have an update too. They indeed found two sacs at a 5w2d ultrasound, but one was much smaller than the other. They surmised that one wasn't making it, which caused the funky numbers. My HCG that day, 6 days after I posted this originally, went up to 9600, which was a doubling rate right at 50% per day! So my doubling rate returned to normal. I am now 7 was pregnant with one baby with a heart rate of 138bpm, and the other one never grew anymore. Wishing healthy pregnancies to us both! Good luck to you!
Beachykeen79
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:39 am

That would explain why the numbers slowed as they did. I am sharing this on the misdiagnosed page because loss of a twin is so common. Some doctors will push for a D&C in situations like yours and women could end up aborting a viable baby.

Congratulations to you! I hope you keep us updated on you and the pregnancy!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories