Catu's Story-Diagnosed and Took Mifepristone - HEARTBEAT FOUND

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Catu's Story-Diagnosed and Took Mifepristone - HEARTBEAT FOUND

Postby catu » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:34 pm

I have been recently had a misdiagnosed miscarriage. I was sent for a scan in October because we didn't have any idea on dates. I was told it was too early and to come back for another scan in a week. When I went for the second scan I was informed that not only had it not grown, it had actually started to break down. My notes state, no evidence of an embryo or yolk sac, sac is irregular in outline, appearances are of a missed miscarriage, right ovary appears normal, left ovary not identified.
At this point I was asked whether I would like surgical, medical or natural management. I chose to come back in two days and start medical management.I was given mifepristone and told to come back in two days.
The day after I bled very heavily and had extreme pain as expected. I went to hospital the next day to continue medical management. After I told the nurse I had bled we decided to see if I could get a scan to see whether I needed to continue or could just go home. It was a saturday so I was told it was unlikely I would get one but by some miracle I got a slot.
Keeping the dramatic details to a minimum, a heartbeat was found and what looked like a healthy baby.
I was told the only thing we could do was wait and that it was likely I would still lose the baby.
They scanned me every week thereafter and thank god everything is looking good. They have told me however that there is little information into the effects of the tablet on the baby but we figure if she (its a girl) has survived this far she is a little fighter and we can just stay hopeful.
I am 21 weeks pregnant now.

An investigation has been started and Im just waiting to hear the outcome.
catu
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Catu's Story-Diagnosed and Took Mifepristone - HEARTBEAT FOUND

Postby Kay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:11 pm

And you are not the first woman to share this story here. Oh my goodness. Often these babies end up miscarrying. I am so glad your little one is doing well.

I am not a fan of medicated miscarriages for a number of reasons and this is definitely one of them. By the time they can know for sure it is not a miscarriage, it is too late for that medication.

Thank you for sharing your story. I know it will help many others. Please, keep us updated.

edited to add: Ended up blogging about this - Surviving Mifepristone After a Misdiagnosed Miscarriage
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories