Jessica's Story - Ultrasound Tech said "There should be more" Tech was wrong!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Jessica's Story - Ultrasound Tech said "There should be more" Tech was wrong!

Postby Kay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Jessica sent me an email and I asked to share her story. While her doctor didn't actually diagnose her, so many women end up here because of some unnecessary comment their doctor or nurse or ultrasound tech uttered.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Kay,

I registered on your site but wasn't able to log-in for some reason.

Although I had a GREAT doctor who told me it was too early, I have been beside myself with worry, and reading the stories on your site have been giving me SOOOO much comfort.

I am mother of two (age 4 and 2). We also lost a baby between them when we were told at our 20 week scan that the baby had Trisomy 13 (confirmed by amnio at that time), and we chose then after learning the baby would not survive to have a D&E.

Needless to say, since that loss I have been a nervous wreck, even after having my healthy (now 2 year old). We have now been trying for another baby for the past year, and I was having repeat early losses (positive home pregnancy test and then bleeding and loss before 6 weeks).

I was SO happy to get a positive HPT on Dec. 26. I was CONVINCED through charting and OPKs that my ovulation date was Dec. 10. So, I had an early abdominal scan done on Jan. 8 when I should have been 6 weeks, 2 days. The ultrasound tech showed me the screen and said, "It's just an empty sac. We should see more by now." It was measuring 14mm. I freaked out.

I saw my doctor the next day, and she told me it's still too early, and that we shouldn't worry under 25mm. She did do a transvaginal ultrasound and still saw an empty sac measuring 17mm. However, she told me to come back in two weeks (Jan. 23rd), not to worry, and that at this point in the early pregnancy it may be just too soon.

However, I kept thinking of the ultrasound tech saying, "There should be more," and I had an early scan with my son where we heard the heartbeat! And when I was thinking back to my first HPT with a nice solid line on Dec. 26 I had to be AT LEAST 6 weeks, right?

So, for the past week I have been up at night worried, anxious, and reading stories on your site has contributed to keeping me sane and functioning. But, I couldn't wait another week, and knowing it may be too soon to tell, I asked to please have another one done.

So, this morning, low and behold, using a different machine, and what I think to be a MUCH clearer picture, even with a transabdominal scan the doctor IMMEDIATELY saw a little bean, and we got to see and hear the heartbeat. The CRL is measuring 6 weeks, 2 days this week, which means my VERY precise fertility tracking (temping, OPKs) was off somehow. It also means that my first HPT was at 3 weeks, 3 days!?

Anyway, I will be nervous my entire pregnancy based on our awful experience of our Trisomy 13 baby we lost. BUT, it is so comforting to know that I've made it further along than I did the last three very early losses, and seeing and hearing the heartbeat is SO comforting.

Indeed, within just six days my sac went from empty to having a bean with a heart beat...and goes to show dates can definitely be off!

I am glad that my doctor was reassuring and seems up on the newest guidelines of 25mm...but still stewing about that ultrasound tech who unnecessarily got my nerves up!

Thanks to your site and all the stories for keeping me sane and giving me some hope during this awful wait!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories