Kelly's Story - Empty Sac 17.5mm MISDIAGNOSED

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Kelly's Story - Empty Sac 17.5mm MISDIAGNOSED

Postby Kay » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Hello!

My name is Kelly, and the past few weeks your website has been SO unbelievably comforting and helpful to me.

First day of my last period was 10/16/14. I typically have 32+ day cycles that can sometimes be irregular.

On 11/20/14, I took a positive pregnancy test.

On 11/21/14, I went to my first prenatal appointment for a transvaginal ultrasound (all of my ultrasounds were transvaginal). Only a possible gestational sac was seen and the doctor advised me that it was too early and to come back in a few days.

On 11/24 I had another ultrasound and doctor confirmed that there was a gestational sac present, but empty at the time. Again advised that it may be too early, and ordered bloodwork.

On 11/28 I had another ultrasound and again, the gestational sac was empty and measured 17.5mm. My HCG level that day was 22,000. Doctor was very concerned, saying it was most likely a blighted ovum because we absolutely should be seeing at least a yolk sac at that point. She advised to schedule an ultrasound one week later and was not hopeful at all, saying we would schedule a D&C after the ultrasound.

On 12/5 I went for the crucial ultrasound, and immediately saw yolk sac and baby measuring 6 weeks, 4 days with a nice heart beat!!! I wanted to share this story to bring other people in my situation hope. I know how stressful all of doctor's negativity can be, and how sometimes it really is just too early! Thanks again!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Kelly's Story - Empty Sac 17.5mm MISDIAGNOSED

Postby LAS » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:50 am

Hi Kelly! Congrats on the good news! I hope all is well with your pregnancy. :)8
I just wanted to thank you for your post. It's almost weird how close all our dates are. My cycle is also unusually long, had my lmp? early MC mid October, and positive test on November 24th!
I'm still struggling with a possible blighted ovum, however. And hope that we'll see our gummy bear at the next u/s.
But the fact that your first ultrasound showed incorrect measurements gives us hope.
Thanks again, and happy holidays.
LAS
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories