Gmvallejo's DIL Story: Misdiagnosed in the ER

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Gmvallejo's DIL Story: Misdiagnosed in the ER

Postby gmvallejos » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:13 pm

I just registered on this site because I have a story to tell. My sweet little daughter-in-law has been trying to get pregnant for over a year. She thought she was, twice before, and we think she miscarried very early on both of them, so as you can imagine, we were all thrilled when she finally came back with a positive test from her doctor. She was 6 weeks, 6 days on October 14th, when she called me at work and said she was having some pretty significant cramps. I ran home and rushed her to the hospital emergency room, where they drew blood and did a vaginal ultrasound. Then the doctor told her, regrettably, that there was no heartbeat and the pregnancy had come to a sudden end. Basically, they told her that her baby was dead, and that the cramps was her body trying to miscarry the expired fetus. She cried bitterly and I never felt so bad in my life.

But, this is where it gets interesting. I went home and google-searched for sites like this one, and found a ray of hope. Many women have been told that it's over at 6 to 7 weeks, only to find the little guy's heartbeat a few days later. I quickly called her OBGYN, and told them I wanted a second opinion. I have to admit, I wasn't really very hopeful, and felt like I was grasping at straws.

The OBGYN had her come in two days later, October 16th, and guess what! THERE IT WAS, a strong heartbeat and a very-much-alive baby. It was the best news I ever got in my life. We were so happy and excited.

So here is my advice for any others who are devastated by bad news - DON'T BELIEVE IT. At 6 to 7 weeks along, it is not at all unusual for them to not pick up a heartbeat, even with a vaginal ultrasound. If this EVER happens again to anyone I know, I would tell them to ask about their HCG levels - have the doctors take it, and a week later, take it again to see if the levels dropped. Also, if you aren't bleeding, as my daughter-in-law wasn't, that is a good sign. I would have to see all three (HCG levels dropping, no heartbeat and bleeding) before I would even consider believing the doctors again. I would NEVER schedule a d&c or take anything to help the "miscarriage" along until I was 110% sure that the baby had expired. It terrifies me that we believed that doctor, and gave up on my new little grandchild, when he was alive and kicking the whole time. What if we had scheduled a d&c? How horrible!
gmvallejos
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Gmvallejo's DIL Story: Misdiagnosed in the ER

Postby Kay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Anything before nine weeks, when talking about an empty sac, is just too soon to diagnose and too many women are misdiagnosed in the ER. I can just imagine the shock and joy when that heartbeat was seen.

Congratulations! I'm so glad you shared your daughter in law's story with us. It'll help so many women!

You prompted me to blog on misdiagnosed miscarriages in the ER. Thank you!
Misdiagnosed Miscarriages in the ER - A Real Problem
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories