I previously suffered a loss at 38 weeks so I'm always very cautious and wary when it comes to pregnancy. I went to my perinatologist for a dating/confirmation ultrasound when I would have been 7 weeks, 2 days pregnant according to my last menstrual cycle. However, I knew I ovulated late and I didn't have a positive hpt until I was 11 days late so I anticipated a baby measuring at least a week behind. The ultrasound showed a baby that measured 6 weeks, 4 days but no heartbeat. I talked to the doctor about my dates being off, but she assured me that they have "strict criteria" regarding whether or not they could say it was too early for a heartbeat and unfortunately, the ultrasound made it clear that the baby was no longer with us and I would miscarry. She offered me Cytotec, a scheduled D & C, or the choice to wait it out and miscarry naturally. I was devastated, but part of me didn't believe it. I had no spotting or other signs of miscarriage. I requested a follow-up ultrasound at my obstetrician's office for the following week before making any other decisions. I did go and get the Rhogam (sp?) shot because I have a negative blood type.
We spent the week telling everyone we knew and requesting prayers. It was a long.....stressful...prayerful week.
The next week....I went in for an Ultrasound to confirm my worst fears, that the baby had passed. After explaining my situation to the super nice tech, she did a transvaginal ultrasound (just like the week before) and confirmed that that baby does indeed have a heartbeat! The baby is measuring 6 weeks now, with a heart rate of 128 and she explained that most likely it just started beating, which is why it wasn't detected earlier. The fact that the gestational age is the same could be due to different machines and different technicians.
This is an absolute miracle and honestly I don't know if the baby didn't have a heartbeat and does now because I believe in the power of prayer or if it was simply not detected earlier. Either way, I'm in shock and so incredibly grateful. It's still early, but we are rejoicing in the baby's life today and taking it one day at a time. I'm frustrated because I'm not sure how to handle the perinatologist's diagnosis and I don't think I'm going to keep seeing her. Thank God I followed my instincts and didn't make a very bad decision based on her recommendations. I know this is long, but I hope my story makes a difference for someone else someday, that another woman will choose to wait and that decision will save her baby's life as well.