Lilygrace9's story - Baby with no Heartbeat.

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Lilygrace9's story - Baby with no Heartbeat.

Postby lilygrace9 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:35 pm

I previously suffered a loss at 38 weeks so I'm always very cautious and wary when it comes to pregnancy. I went to my perinatologist for a dating/confirmation ultrasound when I would have been 7 weeks, 2 days pregnant according to my last menstrual cycle. However, I knew I ovulated late and I didn't have a positive hpt until I was 11 days late so I anticipated a baby measuring at least a week behind. The ultrasound showed a baby that measured 6 weeks, 4 days but no heartbeat. I talked to the doctor about my dates being off, but she assured me that they have "strict criteria" regarding whether or not they could say it was too early for a heartbeat and unfortunately, the ultrasound made it clear that the baby was no longer with us and I would miscarry. She offered me Cytotec, a scheduled D & C, or the choice to wait it out and miscarry naturally. I was devastated, but part of me didn't believe it. I had no spotting or other signs of miscarriage. I requested a follow-up ultrasound at my obstetrician's office for the following week before making any other decisions. I did go and get the Rhogam (sp?) shot because I have a negative blood type.

We spent the week telling everyone we knew and requesting prayers. It was a long.....stressful...prayerful week.

The next week....I went in for an Ultrasound to confirm my worst fears, that the baby had passed. After explaining my situation to the super nice tech, she did a transvaginal ultrasound (just like the week before) and confirmed that that baby does indeed have a heartbeat! The baby is measuring 6 weeks now, with a heart rate of 128 and she explained that most likely it just started beating, which is why it wasn't detected earlier. The fact that the gestational age is the same could be due to different machines and different technicians.

This is an absolute miracle and honestly I don't know if the baby didn't have a heartbeat and does now because I believe in the power of prayer or if it was simply not detected earlier. Either way, I'm in shock and so incredibly grateful. It's still early, but we are rejoicing in the baby's life today and taking it one day at a time. I'm frustrated because I'm not sure how to handle the perinatologist's diagnosis and I don't think I'm going to keep seeing her. Thank God I followed my instincts and didn't make a very bad decision based on her recommendations. I know this is long, but I hope my story makes a difference for someone else someday, that another woman will choose to wait and that decision will save her baby's life as well.
lilygrace9
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Lilygrace9's story - Baby with no Heartbeat.

Postby Kay » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Congratulations! I can tell you that your story will absolutely make a difference. In fact, your story is fairly common. I'm so bugged with your doctor. Often because of the tilt of the uterus or whatever, they just can't get a great visual on the baby this early and they are supposed to wait one week to verify there is no heartbeat. We've seen a lot of those heartbeats show up a week later. You may want to consider submitting a complaint. If she was this quick to diagnose you, I guarantee she's taken the lives of other viable babies.

I do hope you keep us updated. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It'll give a lot of women hope!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby lilygrace9 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:15 am

So....I am now 33 weeks pregnant with this miracle baby. A girl! I have finally sat down and written a letter to the doctor who misdiagnosed me....but I'm not sure how to make sure she gets it. She has multiple offices and I'd like to make sure that she actually reads it. Any advice?
lilygrace9
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MamaBee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:04 pm

Glad to read your happy story!
MamaBee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:58 am

thank you for the update! We love reading updates here :)

You might want to consider sending it to whichever office she spends the most time in as well as a copy to the hospital where she works. Find your hospital online and see if they have a page for 'patient concerns'. That page should give you some contacts. I wish more women would do this. It would cut down on misdiagnosed miscarriages if more women said something. Let us know how it goes. I know my doctor didn't even acknowledge the misdiagnosis once the baby was found. He never spoke of it again :(
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Kay » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Your post reminded me of one woman's story and the letter she sent to the hospital as well as their response. I just blogged about it. Hopefully, that might help a bit:

After the Miscarriage was Misdiagnosed - One Mother's Letter to the Hospital and Their Response
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby Ladee » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Thank You so much for posting your story. I have been praying since my first scan at 8 weeks. Doc told me I measured 6w 2d and no heartbeat. I told them I wanted to wait and Mc naturally. Well its now week 12 and still nothing. Not one spot and no cramping. Doc said I'm putting myself at risk for infection and I need to go in and hear about more options. I have an appt for 10:00 tomorrow and I'm praying that everything is as good as I feel. Thanks again, your story has put my faith back on track today :)
Ladee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby SkAmmu » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:48 am

Hi Ladee,

My situation is similar to you. I am going for the scan tomorrow. after reading the stories here I have got some hope. But still fearing for the worst case.

Post your updates.
SkAmmu
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories