6 week ultrasound empty sac (Asherman Syndrome) - UPDATE baby found!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

6 week ultrasound empty sac (Asherman Syndrome) - UPDATE baby found!

Postby mangomama » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:21 am

Hello,
I was so happy to get my BFP only 2.5 months after a mmc at 11.5 weeks with d&c and complications from that. I did 2 blood tests early on and they were great. This morning I woke up however not feeling pregnant anymore.... my boobs were not sore and I realized I had not gotten up to pee during the night. I have not had any bleeding or spotting. I was not planning on getting an US until next week but since I was starting to drive myself nuts I went ahead a got one this morning. according to my calculations (I was charting) I am exactly 6 weeks today. the doctor had me at 6 + 5 according to LMP. However I ovulated 5 days late.

Well there was just an empty sac measuring 18 mm. She didn't seem too concerned and told me to come back in a week. I will say this, my last pregnancy a few months ago I saw the heartbeat and everything at 6 + 3. So I am not hopeful at all. I want to be. the prospect of loosing 2 in a row is just too aweful. I'm 39 almost 40 and the doctors keep reminding me that I don't have much time. I'm devastated yet again, and reading all the stories here gives me hope, I just really want to be among them.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by mangomama on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
mangomama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: 6 week ultrasound empty sac - should I hold hope?

Postby Kay » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:59 am

I am so sorry you are going through this worry and sorry to hear of your loss. Every pregnancy is different. Just because you saw your baby at 6 weeks before doesn't mean you'll see this baby at the same time. The position of the uterus can change and make it more difficult to view. That said, there is something to be said for mother's intuition however, you've also just had a miscarriage so that may play into how you are feeling as well. Your doctor has the right idea by waiting a week. I love the UK's new guidelines. They state that a doctor should monitor a growing gestational sac until it reaches 25mm and then wait one week to verify. http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... anged.html

(((hugs))) and, please, keep us updated. I do hope you get better news at that next ultrasound.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby mangomama » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank you for your reply, I do have a uterus that tilts back so that is the only reason really that I still have some hope. Maybe last baby was in a better position to be seen? I also found out today that I could squeez a drop of milk out from both sides. What is that about? this made me totally crazy with sadness I just bawled all afternoon. I'm thinking of skipping the u\s next week and just let nature take it's course. There is no way I'm going for another d&c. My Cervix was scarred shut after the one 3 months ago and it took 2 months (of pain) to diagnose and fix. I was so shocked and relieved to be pregnant so soon again.... maybe too soon? Should I have waited? My mother keeps telling me I should just be happy that I am fertile and can conceive. But then again she's never lost a pregnancy, so what does she know?

I'll update eaither way, hopefully with some good news.
mangomama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Do you have Asherman Syndrome?

Let's just see what you find out at that next appointment. What day is your ultrasound?
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: 6 week ultrasound empty sac - should I hold hope? UPDATE baby found!

Postby mangomama » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 am

Kay, Had my second ultrasound today. Baby found! with HB measuring 7 weeks 0 days which is a full week behind my dates as per LMP. I should be 8 weeks today!

Also, and this is a trip - the doctor asked if I had a fibroid I said yes I do have one, she said it was shadowing the sac and making it hard to see.
I went alone and had been crying all week, expecting the worst, while reading every story on this board praying I would get to post a positive update. When she told me everything was ok I started balling on the exam chair, she had to ask me to relax so she could measure the baby.

And yes - I guess you could say I had Ashermans only probably the mildest case you can get, I was lucky. I had an adhesion at the top of my cervix, and no damage inside the uterus. Only with a blocked cervix nothing can go in....or out. I saw 4-5 doctors before finally going privately to an expert surgeon, he performed my diagnostic hysteroscopy and opened the adhesion right there in his office. best $600 I ever spent. I had trapped menstral blood in there. But miracles do happen.....10 days after this procedure I conceived and I will be 40 next month!

Thank you so much for this forum, it's the only thing that kept me from falling completely apart this last week. Lesson learned here -Do not go to early US.

I wish all the ladies here only the best of luck.
A
mangomama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: 6 week ultrasound empty sac - UPDATE baby found!

Postby Kay » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:33 am

Wow! How awesome! You absolutely made my day. I am so happy for you. I hope you don't mind if I add, somehow, Asherman Syndrome to the title of this post. Many women have scarring from previous D&Cs or abortions and this will give them hope. Thank you for that.

Keep in mind, it is common to look a week behind. It's not you. It's the equipment :)

Please, keep us updated on you! Yay!!!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Re: 6 week ultrasound empty sac (Asherman Syndrome) - UPDATE baby found!

Postby mangomama » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:59 pm

I am guessing these adhesions and scarring are common. I know a woman who had the same condition as me after her d&c, only she was not diagnosed until she went 6 months without AF .
This alone can cause you serious problems and like I said, I saw at least 4 doctors telling them something was wrong with me after the surgery. Even though they all saw the trapped blood in my uterus they all told me it was fine and would work itself out. I would urge women after a d&c to pay very close attention to their body, and if something doesn't feel right to advocate for yourself and not be swayed by doctors telling you you are hysterical. I know my body and I could feel something was wrong, I knew it and I kept at it until I found the person who finally explained what it was happening and how to fix it.

Most of the time one d&c will not cause too much damage, and if caught early these mild adhesions are easily removed by hysteroscopy The uterus has tremendous healing powers. My recommendation however, if you do have to go through one is do not let your OB perform it. Get it done in a hospital by an experienced surgeon who does 40 of these a week. And- get the lamineria to dilated your cervix. They didn't do it at the hospital I went to, I inserted the pills, but they did not give me enough time for the pills to work and that is why I ended up with cervical trauma.

I hugged the doctor on my way out, she said I made her day too : )

I hope my post can help some women who experience AS or are worried about their d&c and how to mare sure to get treated early for any complications.
mangomama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories