Mejo's Story - Told to wait for Miscarriage ... Fetal Pole Found

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Mejo's Story - Told to wait for Miscarriage ... Fetal Pole Found

Postby mejo » Sat May 24, 2014 8:33 am

I want to share my story here because this site has given me hope in times when all seem bleak. I had a miscarriage this March at 5 weeks. I didn't plan to visit the gynae so early in the pregnancy but was forced to when I started spotting and then bleeding. I didn't want to wait before trying again and quickly got pregnant again by April! Due to the previous miscarriage, the gynae has asked me to see him as soon as I'm pregnant again so he can put me on progesterone supplements.

The first scan wasn't the most ideal because the sac was irregular with two tapering ends, like an eye with no yolk sac or fetal pole. I wasn't too worried though because I thought it is still early and in my first successful pregnancy, the first scan looks something like this too. Nevertheless, Dr ordered a beta hcg test and another scan a week down the road. The beta hcg came back around 1000+.

The second scan on the other hand is terrifying! All we can see on the screen is this big empty sac. No yolk sac, no fetal pole. It has grown a little but slightly behind. The EDD went from the original 25 Dec to 29 Dec. Gynae ordered beta hcg test on that day and two days later. The results look bad. On the day of the scan, levels were around 20000 and 2 days later, it has increased by less than 10% to 29000... Gynae said the pregnancy is not likely to be viable and ordered a miscarriage profilling test and told me to go home and wait to miscarry... and come back again in 2 weeks if I haven't start bleeding.

So a few days before, the clinic has called and told me that the doctor wants to explain to me about my miscarriage profiling results. That can only mean one thing, I tested positive for something. Which kind of dashed the hopes that I have built up when no spotting occurs... Today, I went for the third scan and lo and behold, we found a fetal pole with heartbeat measuring 8 weeks! EDD is pushed to 31st Dec. I was apparently positive for some inheritable blood clotting disorder, and is now taking baby aspirin. Not completely out of the woods yet but at least, I went from "not likely to be viable" to a viable pregnancy! One thing to note is that during the two weeks waiting period, my pregnancy symptoms have started increasing. I have started feeling queasy everyday! So glad that I'm sick over something and not an empty sac!
mejo
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Mejo's Story - Told to wait for Miscarriage ... Fetal Pole Found

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Do you have an update?
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby mejo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi, I'm here to update. Now in my 19th week of pregnancy! Passed my blood tests and OSCAR with flying colours, haha. I'm also taking low dose aspirin everyday since the diagnosis of the blood clotting issues. Basically, there isn't further complications for this pregnancy. Had food poisoning in the first trimester and some unknown allergy issues for a a few weeks but didn't affect anything, thankfully. But I do feel that the earlier miscarriage had affected me, making me that much more anxious. Time seem to pass agonisingly slowly while waiting for the next check up... Well, the next check up is a big one. I think I'll feel more settled after the 20th week detailed scan.

Oh yes, my EDD is now 26th Dec after the OSCAR scan. Interestingly, that very first scan is the closest!
mejo
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lameyjohnson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:36 pm

I can really use your help. I went in this Wednesday thinking I was 8 weeks, last period was 6/11, I ovulated around 6/22, conception around 6/25. I measured at 6 weeks and also have an empty gestational sac. No yolk sac or fetal pole, I was asked to go home prepared for miscarriage naturally and come back within two weeks for one final ultrasound. That would be week eight, I am already on progesterone and have continued to take them one suppository at night 200 mg. Did you take more then this? I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Right now I am resting, no bleeding or spotting. Sadly I have all the pregnancy symptoms, nausea, tired and sore breast. Any advice would be great!
lameyjohnson
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories