Is it actually a blighted ovum?? (UPDATED - Heartbeat Found!!)

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Is it actually a blighted ovum?? (UPDATED - Heartbeat Found!!)

Postby Dolcebella » Mon May 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I have no idea what to think... I've had two "easy" pregnancies, in that I've never had to test hormone levels and I've never had an abnormal ultrasound before. I was told I'm an "impending miscarriage."

I don't know when I ovulated, but I should be roughly 6.3 weeks today. On Thursday, I had a dating scan. There was a gestational sac with nothing in it. I really would have expected at least a yolk sac by then. Levels on Saturday were hcg 35583, progesterone 11. I had repeat levels drawn today, but no results yet. Midwife wants me to take progesterone supplements in the meantime.

This waiting game is torturous, and I really don't know if this pregnancy is actually viable or a blighted ovum. Any thought??? Thanks!
Last edited by Dolcebella on Fri May 16, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dolcebella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Is it actually a blighted ovum??

Postby Kay » Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 pm

(((hugs))) to you and you may want to consider finding a new midwife or doctor. You are being diagnosed too soon. Take a look at my blog post on new guidelines being given for diagnosing a blighted ovum. Take them to your midwife if you decide to keep her.

http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... anged.html

Please, keep us updated.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Dolcebella » Mon May 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks Kay! Hugs are greatly appreciated! I do think my midwife is hanging in there with me, because she's prescribing progesterone supplements. I don't have any idea about the size of the gestational sac though.
Dolcebella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Generally, a 25mm sac is found further along than you are so it is still early. Hope you get better news!
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Is it actually a blighted ovum?? (UPDATE)

Postby Dolcebella » Tue May 13, 2014 4:17 am

Not good news...

Repeat bloodwork 48 hours later..

HCG 49049 (37% increase)
Progesterone 8.6

Good thing I started the supplements today. I feel like this is inevitable. I'm so discouraged :(
Dolcebella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Is it actually a blighted ovum?? (UPDATED)

Postby Kay » Tue May 13, 2014 10:17 am

The hCG increase still looks normal but the progesterone is concerning. ((((hugs)))) to you.
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Little Bean has a Heartbeat!!!

Postby Dolcebella » Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Great news!!!!

I work at a hospital and just couldn't wait another whole week for the trans vag scan. So I had a doc at work take a peak with an abdominal ultrasound. Sac is no longer empty, and little bean has a heartbeat of 150!!!

I know I'm not out of the woods, but I'm so relieved to see that it's not a blighted ovum. Thank goodness I had bloodwork done, to know I needed progesterone supplements!

Thank you all for your prayers and support!
Dolcebella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Is it actually a blighted ovum?? (UPDATED - Heartbeat Found!!)

Postby jen25 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Wow, that is amazing, congrats to you... that gives me some hope. I have my second scan tomorrow. .. last week at what was roughly 9 week (tho I'm not truly 100% on dates) dr told me sac measuring 5 n half w, wouldn't recheck levels, said just come back for scan, she didn't want to go by numbers. I'm sick to death with worry. This site is the only thing keeping my spirits up. Seeing posts like yours make me feel like there's still a chance! Again congratulations on finding ur precious Lil bean... hope I get similar news tomorrow. .. sticky baby dust to us all!!!
jen25
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun May 18, 2014 8:27 pm

That is just so awesome! You were absolutely diagnosed too soon! So glad they are putting you on supplements. I really think we've seen enough stories here to know that for some pregnancies, they really make a difference. Please, keep us updated!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby Dolcebella » Fri May 23, 2014 11:02 pm

So....

I had my official MFM ultrasound on Thursday, and the tech said everything looked "textbook." Baby was in the uterus and measured exactly 8 weeks, giving me a due date of Jan. 1st!

I'm so grateful that I had this site to help me through! I hope my story helps others Mamas hang in there too!

~Dolcebella
Dolcebella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lameyjohnson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Dolcebella, I can really use your help. I went in this Wednesday thinking I was eight weeks, last period was 6/11, I ovulated around 6/22, conception around 6/25. I measured at 6 weeks and also have an empty gestational sac. No yolk sac or fetal pole, I was asked to go home prepared for miscarriage naturally and come back within two weeks for one final ultrasound. That would be week eight, I am already on progesterone and have continued to take them one suppository at night 200 mg. Did you take more then this? I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Right now I am resting, no bleeding or spotting. Sadly I have all the pregnancy symptoms, nausea, tired and sore breast. Any advice would be great!
lameyjohnson
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories