Joanne's Story-Diagnosed Because hCG Levels Rose by 50%

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Joanne's Story-Diagnosed Because hCG Levels Rose by 50%

Postby Joannedawson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:14 pm

A little background...I am 33 years old, I've had 3 previous miscarriages and my son. 2 mc's at 5wks, and my last one was at 10 wks. My husband and I have struggled with infertility since we started TTC 5 years ago. I was diagnosed with PCOS and my husband has low sperm count.

So I got another BFP in Feb I was nervous because of all our past issues, but I was having some nausea, back pain and sore boobs, so I thought those were all good signs. I went in for an transvaginal ultrasound at 6wks,0 days. There was a sac, yolk and fetal pole (2mm) but no heartbeat :*( So my dr tested my HCG levels and progesterone. My HCG was 14,300 and progesterone was 15. Everything seemed like it might be ok, my dr put me on progesterone supplements because she said they like to see progesterone around 20. I went back in 2 days later to have my HCG levels done again, and they only increased by 50% - 19,100. My dr said to prepare for the worst, the fact we didn't see a heartbeat and my HCG hadn't risen at least 60% in 2 days that I was going to miscarry again and I should schedule a DNC. I asked if I could come in for another ultrasound the following week before I schedule the DNC, she agreed. So I went in at 7wks, 1 day and there was my beautiful baby, with a strong heartbeat (134bpm) and measuring perfectly!! :)8 I was so relieved and just cried tears of joy. Thank GOD I asked to wait a week. My dr just said that HCG isn't an exact science, especially after 6 wks. So far I'm 8 weeks and everything seems to going good so far. I'm going in for another check-up next week at 9 1/2 weeks, so praying :H that everything still looks good.

Try not to lose hope. I was on this site every day looking for hope and inspiration, and praying that I would have the opportunity to post my story on here too. I am so grateful that I am posting here and hope that it can offer somebody else some hope too. Good luck to all the mamas out there, I know how excruciating the waiting is. I will keep you posted on how things continue....
Joannedawson
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Joanne's Story-Diagnosed Because hCG Levels Rose by 50%

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:46 pm

I am so happy for you. Congratulations!!!

That said, your doctor acted incredibly irresponsibly. At that point in pregnancy, hCG levels rising slowly is NORMAL! There was absolutely no reason to scare you and the idea that this doctor even suggested a D&C was beyond irresponsible! I don't know how you feel about this doctor but you might want to consider filing a complaint. My concern is that she is very likely ending pregnancies too soon. If she knows hCG is not an 'exact science', why did she do this to you?

So sorry you had to go through that scare. In your case, it really was an unnecessary one!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Just wanted to let you know, your story inspired my most recent blog post:

http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... ed-at.html

Your story is going to help a lot of women. Thank you for that!
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Joannedawson » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Thank you Kay, I am still in shock about the whole situation. I am so relieved I did my own research and knew better than to just go along with my dr's recommendation. I have found another dr and most definitely won't be going back to that practice. So far, things are still progressing well, I'll keep you updated. Thank you so much for your well wishes.
Joannedawson
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:51 pm

I am so glad you have a new doctor! I'll be watching for those updates :)
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories