Misdiagnosed blighted ovum at 6 weeks. Turned down D&C

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed blighted ovum at 6 weeks. Turned down D&C

Postby soniag22 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:19 am

Hi everyone. I am sharing my story for many reasons but mostly to give hope to those mothers who may be in the situation I was a the last few weeks. Well first of, I have always had irregular periods since I was16 yrs old. I skip a few months here and there, every other month and sometimes 2-3 months without a period. So I eventually stopped keeping track. My husband and I were trying to have a baby for a while and it wasnt happening so we just put it on hold for a while. To our surprise, I had a positive HPT on 3/18/14. At this point I couldnt remember when my last period was at all. ( It may have been in January) So I decided to make an appt with my doc to see how far along I was. I saw her the next day, had a transvaginal US and nothing. Not a sac, no fetal pole no nothing. She said that I may have been too early so she had me do 3 beta hcg quants 2 days apart. The first one was 727, which according to her, I was approx 4 weeks preggo. The following to were doubling appropriately so everything seemed tl be fine. On The 27th I had a repeat transvaginal US which only showed a gestational sac, no fetal pole. I was a little worried but I thought well its still to early. At this point I started researching everything there was to know about pregnancies from hcg levels to what to expect at an ultrasound, etc. I came across this site and it honestly scared me to death because I started wondering, what if somethings wrong? What if my baby never grows? I had an appt on 4/1 with my doc and I never in my life expected her to say "Im so sorry you seem to have a blighted ovum and it wasnt meant to be." I was lost for words. She proceeded to say that my last beta count was 9,000 and with those counts there should have been more seen on an ultrasound. She said my sac was measuring at 6 weeks and there should have been a fetal pole seen. She went on to recommend a D&C for the following day at 9am. She said I could miscarry naturally but the risks of severe bleeding and/or infection was high. At this point I was so heartbroken and I asked her if they were positively sure i had a blighted ovum. She said absolutely yes. I said well if God did not want me to have this baby than God will naturally take the baby away. I refused a D&C and requested a second US. So I had another one scheduled on 4/3. The next two days were horrible, I couldnt eat, sleep, or even just think right. I became obsessed with this website and I began having so much faith and hope that maybe they were wrong.....my baby just needed more time. So on 4/3 after lots or prayers and support from my husband and family I walk into the exam room hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I tried reading the techs face hoping I can get an answer by just looking at her. My entire body was shaking and she finally turned the monitor towards me and said, " well theres your baby!" I cried with joy and told the tech that I loved her!!! I saw my babies hear flutter and let me tell you it was the most amazing sight I have ever seen. :) After leaving there, i sat in the parking lot for awhile and I couldnt beleive that if I would have decided to go along with the D&C, i would have killed my baby. The thought of that is devastating to me. I started calculating in my head and thought how could my doc even suggest surgery if i was merely only almost 6weeks at the time of the first US? We both didnt really know how far along I was. I was angry at this point with my doctor. I have a f/u appt with her on 4/7 and i am sure going to tell her how I feel and change doctors immediately. For anyone out there that is this situation, go with your gut instinct, wait it out. Unfortunately doctors arent always right and only you can advocate for yourself. Dont loose hope!!!! Things like this do happen and we need to share our stories so we can help others who may be going through this. I PRAY FOR EVERYONE ON THIS SITE AND LETS KEEP THE GIFT OF LIFE ALIVE!!! :)
soniag22
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Misdiagnosed blighted ovum at 6 weeks.

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:36 am

Oh my goodness, you have been through a time. You really should file a complaint about that doctor. You were diagnosed too soon and I've no doubt she's convinced other women to end their viable pregnancies too soon.

Congratulations to you! And, thank you for sharing your story. You are going to help so many women! Please, keep us updated on you and your little one!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Misdiagnosed blighted ovum at 6 weeks. Turned down D&C

Postby mamasita74 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 am

Hi, your story is similar to mine so I'm hoping for a similar outcome. My last period started on January 30. I generally have a normal 28 day cycle and should've started my period again around the 27th of February. When I still hadn't started, I took a hpt on March the 9th and it was positive almost instantly! :P I was in shock, but very excited. I am 39 yo and have 3 beautiful, healthy children ages 15, 10 and 6. 3.5 years after my first child, we decided to go off birth control and try for our second child. Well I got pregnant after a few months of trying, but it ended right around 12 weeks. Doctor called it a missed abortion at the time, but they've since changed the terminology to call it a missed miscarriage. I was a bit sad but honestly never really ever felt pregnant that time. Needless to say, I had a d&c and went on to keep trying for my 2nd. We finally did and the pregnancy was smooth sailing. Between my second and third child I had 2 consecutive positive pregnancies that both ended very early (about 2 weeks after positive hpt) then finally conceived my third child. I had an uneventful, normal pregnancy. Well here I am today awaiting my third ultrasound to determine if this is in fact my fourth viable pregnancy or my fourth miscarriage. My first dating ultrasound on March 25th showed an empty gestational sac. Dr wasn't hopeful. Explained to me the probability of miscarriage, but so not to jump the gun, scheduled yet another ultrasound for April 2nd. There was something in the sac, possibly measuring as a fetal pole, but scheduled another US for April 9th to determine viability. I feel VERY much pregnant this time. Nausea, tiredness, sore breasts, etc. I'm really hoping to see or hear that heartbeat this week!!! I'm trying to Trust God and Be still, but I am on pins and needles awaiting this next ultrasound! I was told a few years ago that I had a tilted uterus which could account for not getting a clear image on a vaginal ultrasound. I never had such early US in any of my other normal pregnancies, so maybe, just maybe all is still well and normal! :H please God, let my baby be all right!!
mamasita74
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby WantToSeeAMiracle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Dear Soniag22,

I have similar dates as yours.
This is my third pregnancy, I have a similar situation.
March 17 2014 : Home pregnancy test positive.
March 25 2014 : Vaginal Ultrasound done and the fetus measured 5W 2D hCG 2780 and Progesterone 15.95
April 1 2014 : Vaginal Ultrasound done and the fetus measured 5W 6D hCG 13900 and Progesterone 20

The doctor said, early on in the pregnancy if some major milestones are not reached, then there is a problem. She suggested that I may be having a miscarriage, but asked me to come on April 9 2014 for another set of test.

After reading your story I am really hopeful about my Wednesdays test.

PS: I have no symptoms of a miscarriage, I think morning sickness began for me. (not sure about that because I have cold at the moment.)
Good luck to you.
WantToSeeAMiracle
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mamasita74 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Good luck to you as well. I'm very irritated at my doctor. He's treating this as a miscarriage waiting to happen instead of a healthy pregnancy! He did no extra blood work, gave me no measurements! I believe with all my heart that my pregnancy is healthy. He just doesn't want to give me hope one way or the other. I have this feeling that on Wednesday, we will see a heartbeat, but since he will have been proven wrong, he will still act as if something still isn't right! At which time I will thank him for his time and go find a different doctor. Maybe I'm just feeling paranoid?! I hope that's the case! He delivered my last two children via c-section and I really hate how I'm feeling toward him at the moment! I'm just scared and confused! I want to be excited again. This feeling of being in limbo is for the birds!! :l LOL! <««« laughing to keep from crying!!!! :*(
mamasita74
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Wanted to let you know, your story inspired my most recent blog post:

http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... ed-at.html

Your story is going to help a lot of women. Thank you for that!
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby knovak12 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Good luck to everyone! I am hoping for a little luck my way as well- boy have these last few days been a nightmare I never want to expierence again, and pray for the best outcome. So on april 21th the day after Easter I took a HPT and was positive :). I then scheduled an app for the next day with a nurse and ultrasound tech at a womens clinic. After getting my measurments they measured me at 5W5D and saw the gestational sac and yolc sac. They said everything looks good and they wanted to see me the following week. Well the following week came around for my next transvagional US and there they found a little fetal pole attached to the yolc sac, but no heart beat yet (6W1D). I was happy to see the baby, but curious to hear the heart beat. We then scheduled the next app for the next week (week7) which was yesterday for me, and this is where I am saddend with news. Once they did the US the tech said " I do not like what I am seeing here, here is the yolk sac, but no baby anymore. This is the third time I am seeing you, which should be having progress but there is nothing. I am no doctor but this looks like a blighted ovum, you need to see a doctor ASAP" So with my heart being crushed and leaving the clinic in tears, I quickly call my doctor and set up an app for the next day. Well today was the app and my OBGYN gave me a transvagional US and he measured me at 5W5D?? ( I dont get how there can be such different results ) After hearing that I was a little relieved but how could the ultrasound tech mess up like that (if she did). Then the doc said " If this was the first time I am seeing this US with you being 5W5D, I would say this looks very healthy to me. Now with what you have told me about your other US and seeing the fetal pole, that is where I get nervous". So he sent me to get a beta test today and then again Saturday and if my levels do not double between the two days he says this pregnancy does not look promising :(, and wants to schedule a D&C, I quickly said no D&C I want to see where this takes me. So I am praying that Saturday (two days away) I get good blood work back, and everything turns out fine. I have been reading all stories on here and my hopes are up, but I also and prepared for the worst. This is my first pregnancy and I dont like going through this all at once. Does anyone have any thoughts on my story? Please share, and pray for me as well! Thank you much.
knovak12
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 pm

(((hugs))) to you Knovak. I know this is worrisome. First, your numbers are NOT supposed to double at this point. This far along they could rise, plateau and, in some women, decline and be normal. Generally after the gestational sac is viewed hCGs are not helpful. As for measurements, if you've looked at the blog post mentioned ont his tread, it is common for different techs/doctors to get very different measurements even on the same day. Yes, it is worrisome that the baby isn't seen after it was already seen (this is NOT a blighted ovum!) but it is still early enough that it is just too soon to diagnose as a miscarriage. Stay monitored and be seen if there are any complications. Praying for you!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories