24mm Empty Sac UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

24mm Empty Sac UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Postby LuckyElement7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:39 pm

This site has really helped me cling to hope, and to avoid an early D&C. I am so glad I found MM before the Doctor started pushing for me to get one. I am aware that my hope is a tiny one, but it's something.
My story:
After having my perfectly healthy son last Jan, i got a surprise positive pregnancy test on March 2nd, after a cycle varying 34-42 days long over the last 6 months.
SInce my cycles are so long, I have no idea when I ovulated, and my LMP was jan 21st. (41 days before my positive test - almost 6 weeks)
I started mild cramping and spotting about a week after my pos test, consistently, every time I wiped would be brown on the paper, so I made an appointment to be seen. (my work is extremely physical and it seems worse after work)
Based on my last period they said I'd be about 7 weeks pregnant, but I was only measuring 5 or 6 weeks, and with an empty sac. They prepared me saying it could go either way, but still could be fine. They said exercise wouldn't make a difference.
Since I teach Aerial acrobatics, I decided to take a week off work any way to see if the bleeding would stop.
It lightened, but didn't stop.

I was hoping that the dates were off, but when I went in the following week, they said I was measuring about 5 weeks, and the sac was still empty and at 24mm, I was basically going to miscarry, and I could do it naturally or have the D&C. Even if I chose natural they said they wanted me to have the D&C anyway in a week If nothing happened.
I don't want to do that. I still have mild cramping, and still have brown blood on the toilet paper, but sometimes it's so light it's almost gone.
I finally called and asked for another ultrasound instead, from a technician instead of my doctor. They seem very surprised, but agreed to schedule an appt for me. I know its a very slim chance with all that's going on, but I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the stories. They really helped me come to terms, and still have hope. Good luck out there!
LuckyElement7
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: 24mm Empty Sac

Postby Kay » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Please, take a look at the blog post I made yesterday,

http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... first.html

these researchers believe a blighted ovum should not be made before the sac is 25mm and empty looking. I know you are close but you are still under. I do know women who spotted with a blighted ovum so, yes, this may be one but I also know women who spotted with viable pregnancies. I don't know how this will end but will be praying for you!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby waitingtrusting » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 pm

I am in that waiting spot too, and I also have a slim chance. You can wait longer and have a natural miscarriage. My doctor told me that (at least in their office) after a month---from the point where there was no growth--then they will want to consider intervening with a D&C or Cytotec because the risk of complications goes up after that. I have been "waiting" since March 7. It's a strange place of limbo to be living in.
waitingtrusting
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby LuckyElement7 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:25 pm

I agree waitingtrusting! It's hard to know what to say to people. I went on a work retreat with my husband's company, and everyone is drinking and having a good time. Someone noticed that I wasn't drinking and asked if I was pregnant. I wasn't sure what to say. My doctor's best guess it that it was a month a couple days ago on Thursday. I go in for probably my last Ultrasound on Tuesday. I am still nauseous all the time and don't want to be in limbo anymore. It seems so unfair to have symptoms for no real reason. I will cross my fingers for you. Good luck.
LuckyElement7
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby LuckyElement7 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:05 pm

* Update! *
After pushing off my D&C, and requesting an ultrasound from a tech instead of my doctor, they found the baby!! I was prepared to hear the worst. I was NOT prepared to find out that there is s perfect baby in there with a strong heartbeat. (165) I bawled. She says everything looked great, and my dates are about 2 weeks off. Baby measures 8 weeks 4, instead of 10 weeks because of irregular cycles.
Good luck out there! It's really really hard, but Wait a little longer if you can!
LuckyElement7
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Such awesome news! I hate that they felt they had to scare you. How difficult would it have been to say, "You know, it's still a bit early. Let's see you in a week or two."

Yay! I hope you keep us updated on you and your pregnancy. Congratulations. Moving you to the Misdiagnosed forum :)
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: 24mm Empty Sac UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Postby LuckyElement7 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Thank you so much, I will keep you posted, good news or bad. But I wonder how many babies you have personally saved because of this site. You are, I think, a bit of a hero.
LuckyElement7
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:51 pm

It's not me! I totally believe it is a God thing :)
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby LuckyElement7 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Quick update: Doing fine at just over 12 weeks along. Still feel crampy every once in awhile and nervous of course, but other than that, no problems. My says she has no idea why the baby didn't show up before, and that she is glad I waited that extra time.
LuckyElement7
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Great update! Thank you!

I blogged this last week about the UK's new guidelines. Had your doctor followed these guidelines, you would never have been misdiagnosed!

http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... anged.html
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby LuckyElement7 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:22 am

Just wanted to post my final update, even though it took until he was in my arms before I stopped fully worrying that he was really totally okay, my empty 24mm yolk sac (vag. Ultrasound! ) is now a beautiful healthy 3 month old boy! I would offer the advice to wait until you yourself are sure, before doing anything drastic even though it's one of the most emotionally difficult things I've been through. My doctor said that she could see the sac was breaking down and that the reason my hcg levels were still rising is that my "body just hadn't figured it out yet". I was sure that I was deluding myself and crazy for trying to hang on. Grasping at straws. Give yourself whatever time that you need ladies! Even if it doesn't work out the way we hope at least there will be no question on your mind.
Love to all.
LuckyElement7
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories