Enlarged yolk sac? MISDIAGNOSED

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Enlarged yolk sac? MISDIAGNOSED

Postby Amelia198929 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 am

After being diagnosed with PCOS at 14 years old and being told I would not conceive naturally, 10 years later, surprise! I am indeed very pregnant. :) At my 8 week initial OBGYN appointment, my doctor immediately admitted me in the women's pavilion at our local hospital to get my blood glucose under control. One happy and excited momma, I've been a good girl and following doctor's orders to a tee and am very satisfied with almost perfect numbers. While I was admitted, I had a beautiful scan at 9 weeks showing spot on growth and a good, strong heart beat of 190, the stronger end of "normal".

My high risk OB released me 5 days later with utmost confidence and scheduled me for a follow up appointment. At 10 wks 5 days, I went in for my ultrasound and was very relieved to see yet another seemingly beautiful scan, crying as I watched my sweet little peanut happily kicking and moving around. The baby measured at 10 wks 3 days, only 2 days behind as it has been with every scan. Having PCOS, there is no knowing exact ovulation dates, but growth has been steady and perfect all along. Strong HB of 170, again, the stronger end of "normal"! I was bright eyed and beaming when the doctor came in to talk with myself and my husband. Of course the appointment ended before my pelvic exam with me in tears and my husband very solemn.

He explained that while he was very pleased with the growth and the heartbeat, what worries him is that my yolk sac measures 7mm... And should not be more than 5. He went on with another of his analogies about my having a beautiful white house... A perfect gestational sac, spot on growth, a perfect heartbeat... My beautiful White House having a black stripe, I.e. A larger yolk sac. This could indicate chromosomal abnormalities and/or an oncoming miscarriage. He scheduled me to come back in 2 weeks, an ETERNITY! We're down to 9 days and I have googled every possible outcome. It doesn't look so good and I can barely function with all this worry.

I have not seen a single story like mine. Every situation I've read about, these babies were measuring small, with a lower heartbeat, and these poor women were only 7-9 weeks along. What gives?!? I don't know if this is a good or bad sign, but I am absolutely sick with worry and any input would help me get through these next 9 days, just having a better idea of what to expect. Any experience will help.

Thanks!
Amelia
Amelia198929
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Enlarged yolk sac?

Postby Kay » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Hello Amelia.

I am so sorry you are going through this scare.

If you haven't done so, check out our Misdiagnosed Story Links page:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11318

Scroll down to the large yolk sac stories. We've had women go on to have perfectly healthy little ones. I even created a page because so many women needed to know that there was still hope:

http://www.squidoo.com/yolksac

(((hugs))) please, keep us updated. Praying for you.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Amelia198929 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:41 am

Thanks so much. Isn't it amazing how much googling can be done in 5 days when you're a worried momma?! However I continue to search, hoping to find a story I haven't read.
I'm proud to report that I have terrorized my OB's office so badly that they agreed to take me in on Thursday, a week earlier than my original appointment next Thursday. I can be quite relentless. They'll be doing a viability scan as well as attempting the first trimester screening. I am scared but in my heart, I believe we will be okay. Positive thinking! This is my little peanut, I'm not giving up a single second before I absolutely must. :)
I am actually excited... Very scared, but also excited. I will update as soon as I'm home... And hopefully will be adding another story to the misdiagnosed happy endings. :)
Amelia198929
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Amelia198929 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:47 pm

UPDATE: After my viability scan today, I will be sleeping peacefully tonight. Baby measured right on schedule with a strong heart rate of 173. The yolk sac is GONE!!!! What I failed to mention in my original post was that there was also a hydropathy on the back of the neck... In a week's time, both magically disappeared! The doctor confidently said there is no reason to believe this isn't a perfectly healthy pregnancy. I did the blood work today and will do the sonogram for the first trimester screening on the 25th! But I believe in my heart this peanut is strong just like momma. I have never felt so blessed.
Sometimes we must let go & let God. Don't give up hope... We all experience our losses but please don't lose faith that there is indeed a reason for everything!!!
Will update after the results of my screening on the 25th. ❤️
Amelia198929
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm

YES!!!! I am so thrilled for you. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the new misdiagnosed stories but I do hope yours is in there! If not, I can move this thread over.

Yay!!!! Please, please, please, keep us updated. We love to hear all the pregnancy (and birth) updates :)
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Enlarged yolk sac? MISDIAGNOSED

Postby Amelia198929 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 pm

I wanted to stop by and check the boards to offer what support I can. I'm currently 13 weeks 3 days. At 11 weeks 3 days when I had my viability scan, they did the blood draw for my first trimester screening so that I would have the results when I went in for my NT scan. Nuchal translucency was completely normal at 1.8mm, heart rate of 178 BPM, and our sweet little angel baby measured a perfect 13 weeks 1 day. There was absolutely no sign of a yolk sac. Between my scan and blood work results, chances of abnormalities was less than 1 in 10,000! I am indeed one happy and relaxed momma!
My next appointment isn't until 20 weeks, at which point we'll be finding out if we'll be buying pink or blue!!!
The worry is still in the back of my mind. All I can think is 7 weeks, how much can happen in 7 weeks?!? One thing I do want to offer... It was a different u/s tech at my last appointment, a wonderful German lady who is highly skilled in what she does. The receptionist MADE me pee before the u/s, which even I know is a big no-no this early, especially with a little extra cushion. After a bit of prodding and making me cough several times, we found exactly what we needed.
Anyway, when she first walked in, she asked exactly what had happened over the last few weeks. I explained the enlarged yolk sac and increased nuchal thickness, so out of curiosity, she went back in their database and checked my previous ultrasound photos. I heard her mumbling, watched her take measurements, and the look on her face astounded my husband and myself. She looked at the notes to verify I wasn't mistaken when I said they measured it at 7.3mm a few weeks prior. She then looked at me and said, "Your yolk sac has never measured more than 4.7mm." Imagine my surprise! I remember that full week of waiting to see what would happen, wondering if my baby would make it. To think it was all a mistake makes me angry, but I need to remind myself how blessed I am, just to be thankful my peanut is healthy.
I wish that we're the case for all the beautiful women on this site, sadly I know it isn't. And my heart truly goes out to those of you with a less than perfect outcome. But I know now, babies do indeed bounce and a lot of times bounce back from even the most terrifying prognosis. I thank God for this site and the comfort it offered me during an extremely difficult time for me. And I just hope I can offer some of the same comfort to all of you. God bless! <3
Amelia198929
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Thank you so much for the update! I blogged the other day about how ultrasound measurements are NOT very accurate in the first trimester.

http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.b ... first.html

While I have had women tell me they've had ultrasounds the same day by two different techs with different measurements, I especially like your story because it shows that two techs can come up with very different measurements on the same photo. I hope you don't mind if this becomes my next blog. I want women to know that they shouldn't put too much stock into the ultrasound measurements. Too many women are scared unnecessarily.

I am just so happy for you!!!

edited to add: created a blog post today based on what you've been through. Your story is going to give so many women hope!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby Amelia198929 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:21 am

I would be glad if you did. The difference in the skill level between the two u/s techs was easy for me and my husband to see. The first tech was very quiet and hardly responsive to my questions, while the second tech clearly enjoys her job and was happy to answer my questions.
It's perfectly understandable to be afraid when your doctor gives you bad news. I was barely functional with worry. What's important is that you don't give up until you have no choice but to do so. I'd love for you to share my story. God bless.
Amelia198929
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:54 am

I did blog about it and I know how helpful your story will be!

And, Even More on the Unreliability of Ultrasound Measurements During the First Trimester

Your story is the perfect illustration of how off these ultrasound measurements can be. A study even showed that, on average, they can be skewed plus or minus 4mm. That's a lot when diagnosing a miscarriage and one of the reasons they are so frequently misdiagnosed. I really am just so happy that you got good news!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories