Jreiko's Story - Turned down D&C Heartbeat found one week later

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Jreiko's Story - Turned down D&C Heartbeat found one week later

Postby Jreiko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:54 pm

In August of 2012 I was 7 1/2 weeks pregnant and having some red spotting. I called my OB/GYN office and made an appointment to go in for an ultrasound. A midwife preformed my ultrasound. She quickly found the fetus and said "oh this does not look good" and then proceeded to tell me that my baby did not have a heartbeat and that the fetus stopped growing a week prior. I was devastated! I had lost one 2 months prior so it hit me especially hard. She then gave me the option of prescribing cyotec or getting a D&C. I said I wanted to go home and think about it and see if I would miscarry naturally. I spent the next week locked in my room crying, being severely depressed. I didn't know why my body was failing me again. I missed work and my husband did too because I was too devastated to get out of bed and take care of our 3 year old son. I still felt pregnant. I was nauseous and my breasts were sore. I was told it was because I was still carrying around the fetus my body thinks I am pregnant. When nothing happened a week later. I decided to call and ask for another ultrasound and talk about my options. I wanted a print out. I told the midwife (a different one then the previous appointment) that even though it might be morbid I wanted a picture of the baby. I felt that it would help me mourn my loss. I look over at the screen and see a familiar flicker. I look at the Midwife who looks dumbfounded and I said "Oh My God is that a heartbeat?!?!" She said "ummmm.. yes!" My husband and I cried tears of joy. Not only was there a strong heartbeat the baby was measuring right on. We got pictures of our little peanut. I had asked the Midwife if they always do a follow up ultrasound and she said only if requested. I couldn't believe that we could have accidently aborted our baby due to a careless error. The midwife said in 10 years that she had been practicing that she had never seen that happen. I now know that misdiagnosed miscarriages are more common then you would think. I am trying to get the word out for other women to double check before getting a D&C. My baby was born March 8, 2013 she is a healthy 10 1/2 month old. I count my blessings every day that I waited instead of getting a D&C that day. I really want to get the word out to women that this can happen. My daughter will always be my little miracle. E>
Last edited by Jreiko on Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jreiko
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Jreiko's Story - Turned down D&C Heartbeat found one wee

Postby Kay » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Your story just gave me chills. I wonder how many babies have been aborted because women didn't think to question this midwife. So thankful you waited and found your little one! Your story is going to give so many women hope!

I am putting together a little video for the site and am including some baby photos of our misdiagnosed babies. Won't be including real names, only usernames so people can read the stories here. If you'd like to be included, you can send a photo to misdiagnosedmiscarriage@gmail.com It's a few months out but I will be showing the video to the women who have submitted photos first to make sure they are fine with it.

Thank you so much for sharing your story!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Jreiko's Story - Turned down D&C Heartbeat found one wee

Postby Bunkyz1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:39 pm

I think doctors are way too quick to resort to D&C's or meds when they "think" a baby will not make it. I am in the middle of a much preferred wait and see time. If it happens it happens but I will know it wasn't because of something I was pressured into doing.
Bunkyz1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories