Brittany's Story - For Three Weeks, Doctor Sure of Miscarriage

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Brittany's Story - For Three Weeks, Doctor Sure of Miscarriage

Postby brittany42 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:44 pm

On December 18, 2013, my OB told me that she was 100% sure that I had a blighted ovum. I was about 5 weeks pregnant based on my HCG levels (my period is really irregular). At week 3, my HCG levels were 660, week 4: 17,000, and week 5:68,000. So, they did not double every 48 hours between weeks 4 and 5. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for a few months and we were crushed. She told me that I needed to have a d & c on December 20th because I might end up with a significant amount of blood loss and in the ER if I did not have the procedure done. I asked her to wait one more week and check things again, but she said that was unnecessary and that since the next week was Christmas, she would rather do the d&c two days later (the 20th). I read some stories on this website and others and had a tiny bit of hope that maybe it was just too early to see anything. Also, my uterus sits on the left and I had only had a vaginal ultrasound, which may not have been able to see much. I told my OB that I was going to let the miscarriage happen naturally. Almost 3 weeks later (January 6, 2014), I got to hear my baby's heart beat and see a perfectly healthy baby with a strong heart beat and measuring at 8 weeks 5 days! Listen to your body! I am so very thankful that I listened to my gut and my already motherly instinct. At my appointment, my OB told me that she was still so sure that it wasn't a viable pregnancy that she had a spot reserved in the OR for me this week and that the Lord was looking out for us. Our prayers were definitely answered! I would encourage women to wait if they can, so they will never have to wonder. From what I have read/heard, our bodies are made to be able to miscarry normally before 8 weeks.

(sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, but it won't let me start a new topic)
brittany42
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Brittany's Story - For Three Weeks, Doctor Sure of Misca

Postby Kay » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:27 pm

I am so glad you posted and so glad you stubbornly refused that D&C! Your doctor made some very serious errors. First of all, a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks and, yet, she diagnosed you at five weeks! That is crazy. Also, trying to scare you into a D&C was a terrible think to do. I hope you find a new doctor. You want one who is going to do her best for you and your baby.

Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing your story. You will indeed help many women.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories