MisdiagMama's Story - Decided to Wait Rather than have a D&C

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

MisdiagMama's Story - Decided to Wait Rather than have a D&C

Postby Misdiagmama129 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 pm

I have definitely been misdiagnosed! I had a positive home pregnancy test and called my ob/gyn who wanted me to come in at 6 weeks because I have had two previous miscarriages. I went for a sonogram and the doctor didnt see anything but the ges.sack, no yoke no fetal pole. At that point the visit was over, he prepared me for a miscarriage saying it looked like a blighted ovum... I was heartbroken... time number three!!! I did bloodwork that day and got the results the next day and I was at 19,800 my number has rose drastically since the week before. He then said he wanted to see me that next day in his office. I couldnt understand why again so soon but I agreed and went to another appt. They repeated the sonogram and he confirmed that its a blighted ovum. He said no rush but I should have a D&C and I was just like let me think about it. He said that only 1 time in his career has he seen it come out different after having hcg numbers this high. I told the doctor "I will be number 2". Not knowing much about blighted ovum I googled it and came across this site (this was just 1 1/2 weeks ago) and started reading all these stories on the site and I just said well im not giving up hope and if a miscarriage is going to happen it will happen naturally. Needless to say he made me an appt for a week later (we checked hcg in between and yet again they increased still holding hope). I tried to cancel the appointment because all the girls in the stories said that they were able to see the baby in further weeks along in the pregnancy so I wanted to wait a few more weeks but the doctor insisted I keep the appointment. I was rather pissed when I went it (of course I didnt take anyone with me for this visit) and they performed the ultrasound first. I had an ultrasound tech do it this time, not the doctor who performed it both times previously. The tech asked why I was having it again and I told her that the doctor thinks I have a blighted ovum. Next words to me were "well heres the yolk sack" and I said really?!?!? Well thats positive because that wasnt there before and then she said " well heres the 2nd positive, heres your baby, and see that flicker thats the heartbeat" and flipped on the monitors so I could hear it. I was just shocked!!!!! I expected to find nothing further and here was everything. I was so disappointed because my fiancee or my mother werent there with me. But the good news is, it all worked out. I waited and held out hope because of your site and I urge other girls to do the same. I am due Dec 9th, 2013 and so excited. Thanks so much for this amazing site and the encouragement when I needed it most!!!! Angie
Misdiagmama129
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: MisdiagMama's Story - Decided to Wait Rather than have a

Postby Kay » Sat May 04, 2013 4:03 pm

I am so happy for you! Thank you for sharing your story. We have seen time and again that doctors who do their own ultrasounds are much more likely to misdiagnose a miscarriage!

I am so glad you found this site and your story will help so many women. Thank you for taking the time to share it. We'd love to hear updates as well.

Congratulations!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: MisdiagMama's Story - Decided to Wait Rather than have a

Postby MoorishIdol » Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 am

I am so glad you held out and waited! I am also so happy for you! I wish you the very best and for your family to be blessed. I am dealing with same issue and have decided to wait as long as possible. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
MoorishIdol
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: MisdiagMama's Story - Decided to Wait Rather than have a D&C

Postby Misdiagmama129 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Just an update- which I should have posted sooner. A very healthy baby girl was born December 2, 2013. I am beyond blessed and thankful. I think all the time about what would have happened had I listened to the Dr. and had a D & C. The stories here are what kept me holding hope and staying positive. I have had 5 miscarriages in my life and I have 1 daughter, so miscarriages happen but hold hope!
Misdiagmama129
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: MisdiagMama's Story - Decided to Wait Rather than have a D&C

Postby Kay » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I am so glad you updated! Congratulations on your soon-to-be four-year-old daughter LOL

I just love these updates!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories