Heather's Story - Misdiagnosed Partial Molar and Refused the D&C

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Heather's Story - Misdiagnosed Partial Molar and Refused the D&C

Postby heyluu » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi my name is Heather. I want to share my mis diagnosed story...because I want to give other ladies hope.

I went in to the ER at 5 weeks 6 days for some blood tinged CM. I had never had any type of first trimester bleeding in my first trimester of my other pregnancies so I was very worried. When I went in the doctors could find no reason for the bleeding. They did an ultrasound (transvaginal) and found a gest sac, a yolk sac, but no heartbeat. I was told this is too early on and I should go and wait things out and come back if there was additional bleeding.

Three days later I had some spotting. This time is pink/red and quite a bit more. This time just plain blood and not mixed with CM. I went back in to the ER and saw a different doctor. I was there overnight and they did four ultrasounds. Two transvaginal and two abdominal. They also drew blood and checked my HCG levels. My levels came back at over 33,000. That would be a good number for them normally but for me, they didn't like it....because they didn't find a heartbeat. In addition, they also saw another "structure" that they said could be a partial molar, a hematoma, or an abnormal fetal pole. They said that any time a woman has HCG level over 2,000 they should be able to see a heartbeat. So the fact that my levels were so high and there was no heartbeat, and they saw "something else" they were convinced it was a partial molar. They kept telling me it just didn't look good and probably would not end in a successful pregnancy.

I called my doctors office the next day and they wanted me to come in to consult for a d and c. My instinct told me to wait. I hadn't expected to see a heartbeat until 8 weeks along anyway, and there were too many uncertainties in their report. So I told them I would come in and talk to the doctor but that I wouldn't be scheduling a d and c. When I went in, they told me they had never seen anyone in my situation have a positive result. I was still determined to wait. I told them I wanted another ultrasound at 8 weeks.

At home my morning sickness had continued to get worse and worse. It was the worst MS id ever had. And I put myself on bed rest because I had a gut feeling that I had had a SCH. In the two weeks I spent at home waiting for my next scan I had two more small bleeds mixed with cm. I did not go in to the ER for either of them.

At 8 weeks 2 days, I went back in for a repeat scan. I was so scared. The doctors had put a lot of fear into me, even though deep down I did not believe they were right. Sure enough, as soon as the wand touched my belly, I SAW a little heart flickering away before the technician had a chance to point it out!!!

When the radiologists report came back I was told that they could find no evidence of the other structure they had seen previously (which they now were saying was a hemorrhage).

If you are earlier than 8-10 weeks along, and don't see a heartbeat, and even if your HCG levels are very high, please wait and get rescanned again. I can't tell you how happy I am that I waited!!!!!
heyluu
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Heather's Story - Misdiagnosed Partial Molar and Refused

Postby Kay » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Heather, I am so glad you shared your story! I think some doctors like to scare women into the D&C. I'm glad to hear you stood your ground.

Congratulations to you and I hope you keep us updated!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby heyluu » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Just wanted to give a quick update. I gave birth to a healthy 6 pound 11 ounce baby girl on my due date...October 13, 2011. :)8
heyluu
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Oh Heather! Congratulations! I love hearing about the birth of our misdiagnosed miscarriage babies! What a precious, precious gift. Give her a little snuggle for me :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories