AmandaY's Story: Called to schedule D&C for Blighted Ovum!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

AmandaY's Story: Called to schedule D&C for Blighted Ovum!

Postby AmandaY » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 pm

I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum on Wednesday, June 20, 2012. It had been 7 weeks and 3 days since my last period. The doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound and determined that something wasn't right. He did not see a heartbeat. So he sent me to get a better ultrasound at the hospital. The technician took about 60 pictures of my uterus and what looked like a small blob. After I told the tech when my last period was, I heard her say under her breath, "It''s too early".
We went back to the doctor on the next day. He said the reports confirmed it was a blighted ovum. It was one of the worst days of my life. The doctor told me that I could have a miscarriage naturally or get a D&C done. My husband supported my decision to let it happen naturally. The doctor gave me pain killers and a medicine to help with the bleeding. I spent the entire weekend just waiting and crying. I did have some spotting and crapping but no heavy bleeding. I did a lot of research and found this site. I read so many stories of misdiagnosed blighted ovums. I had to force myself of the computer because I did not want to get my hopes up.
On Monday, I had enough waiting so I called the doctor to schedule the D&C. He asked me to come in for an ultrasound first just to make sure. We went in and I couldn't even look at the screen. But the doctor gave us some great news. He saw a heartbeat! My husband and I cried so hard!
I had just gotten off of birth control in March 2012 and only had two periods so I was irregular. I measured 5 weeks 6 days on the Monday that we saw the heartbeat. So I was only 5 weeks 1 day when they diagnosed the blighted ovum.
The next week when I went back to the doctor he said, " I've looked back at those ultrasounds and the sac was abnormal. It didn't look like there was anything". I said, "Was it just too early?" He said "No, because of the shape of the sac. Also, by the date of your last period there should have been a heartbeat. It honestly is a miracle." He apologized and said that is sometimes happens.

As I write this I hold my miracle baby girl, Olivia. I can't believe that I almost lost her. I had given up hope but am so thankful that I had an ultrasound before a D&C. God has truly blessed me with a miracle.
AmandaY
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: AmandaY's Story: Called to schedule D&C for Blighted Ov

Postby Kay » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:21 pm

I love reading these stories. I am so happy you found your baby. That is why I am so adament about women not scheduling D&Cs before nine weeks. Thank goodness you had that ultrasound.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! You are going to help so many women!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: AmandaY's Story: Called to schedule D&C for Blighted Ov

Postby agnewmama » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story!!! I am currently in the same situation... In limbo, waiting for my HCG test results. I have been bleeding ever since implantation, but through much research, have discovered that this can be common. I went in for a sonogram, concerned that the blood had turned from brown to red (bleeding bright red for 5 days). The day I went in, I was 7w 2d since my last period. When he checked me, he said that I was measuring 5 1/2 weeks, that the sack looked irregular, with no fetal pole or yolk sac. He told me that I was most likely miscarrying. I had bled the most during the two days prior to having the sonogram done. Now it's one day after the sonogram and the bleeding has nearly ceased (I've been resting--crying--in bed). Also... I have not had any cramping, other than normal pregnancy aches, and have only passed a few clots). They drew blood to check my levels and will draw again tomorrow. This site has given me much hope, as I also have a "tilted uterus", which from what I understand, can delay being able to see the baby until approximately 9 weeks. My greatest concern is that I no longer FEEL pregnant. Did you still have strong pregnancy symptoms when you were in this stage, or had they subsided? I have received so many wonderful promises from God over this pregnancy, which has left me in a state of confusion because of what the doctor observed and because I no longer feel pregnant. I really hope that this is a misdiagnosis, though I'm concerned over hoping that I'm still pregnant for two more weeks if I'm really not. Any thoughts?
agnewmama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories