Daffodil's Story - Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum at 6 1/2 wks

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Daffodil's Story - Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum at 6 1/2 wks

Postby Daffodil » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Misdiagnosed blighted ovum after history of true blighted ovum

My story: I have a history of secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriages. My most recent miscarriage was a blighted ovum. No baby was found on the 6.5 week transvaginal scan. My midwife scheduled another ultrasound for 2 weeks later and the same finding occurred, no baby, just a growing gestational sac and continuing pregnancy symptoms. Almost 3 weeks later I miscarried naturally.

Fast forward to my current pregnancy. Last week, I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks 3 days. The OB began the scan and I got that sinking feeling as I saw the familiar empty black gestational sac. She kept searching but there was nothing to be found. She said my gestational sac was actually measuring ahead at 7 weeks so we should be seeing something. I felt so devastated. She did add that she hesitated to diagnose it as a blighted ovum just yet because it didn't quite look like the blighted ovums she's seen. She said she saw a shadow of something that "might" be something developing. And, very importantly as I know from this site, she said my uterus was anteverted (tilted backwards). However, after the scan ended, she had a very sad look on her face and started discussing miscarriage options should it come to that and kept saying "I'm sorry". She told me to come back in a week for another ultrasound. I had little to no hope in my heart as I was *sure* this was a repeat of last time. I called up my husband in tears and told him it wasn't looking good. I didn't even bother to tell him the small bits of possible hope until later that day at home, but they seemed pointless and like false hope. I also had blood work done that showed very high HCG (100241, still not sure what's going on with that).

I looked up this site just as I had after my first blighted ovum diagnosis. I read through all the stories. Thank you SO much for this website. It gave me some hope when I thought there was none and gave me something to do that felt productive while being in such a depressed state of limbo.

So, the day before yesterday, at 7w 2d, I had another ultrasound at the hospital. I asked for transvaginal but she insisted on abdominal. She pressed into my belly and again there was the empty sac. She kept pushing around and doing measurements and checking my ovaries etc. at some point I thought I saw a shadow of white but wrote it off as maybe a misshapen gestational sac beginning to collapse. She did something that looked like she was checking for a heartbeat but I saw no movement. The problem is the screen was tilted away from me so that I could barely see much, and what I saw was at an angle. I had prepared myself so much for this to be another loss that I explained away every little thing she was doing as inconsequential.

Finally she ended the scan. I asked her how things looked and she said she would send the results to my doctor. I asked if she could at least please tell me if there was any indication of hope because of my past losses. She said she saw a baby measuring 7 weeks with a heartbeat!!!! I can't even begin to explain my feelings upon hearing that. My breath just stopped and I put my hands over my face and just sobbed happy tears. I just kept telling her thank you thank you for giving me that reassurance. So it was NOT a blighted ovum! I just could not believe it. It still barely feels real!

Since then I have yet to touch base with my doctor as to her formal assessment of the results (especially considering my HCG is so unusually high) but I am just relishing in the fact that I have a baby and it has a heartbeat. I have the scan results and my uterus is measuring 2.8 cm. Baby is 1 cm. I have some fluid in my uterine cavity that concerns me but let's see what my OB says. I'm just so happy to have a baby. There's something just so tragically sad about a blighted ovum...no baby to be seen on the ultrasound at all. That blank screen is such a very, very bleak thing to see. I wish hope for all women going through this. I never thought I'd have my own story to share!!!!
Daffodil
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Daffodil's Story - Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum at 6 1/2 wks

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 pm

I am just so happy for you. Please keep us updated!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories