Kelli's Story ~ Told Absolutely Going to Miscarry-levels 14,000

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Kelli's Story ~ Told Absolutely Going to Miscarry-levels 14,000

Postby kolbycheese » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,
Last week I went for my first ultrasound at 6 weeks. The doctor said he could only see a gestational sac and nothing else. He said it didn't look good, but he would draw some blood and check my HCG numbers and call me the next day.

When he called he said my numbers were 14,000 which confirmed his diagnosis of a blighted ovum. He said he DEFINITELY should have seen something with those numbers. I asked him if there was ANY chance that he was wrong or that maybe the baby was hiding. He said, "no way. seriously." He asked if I wanted a D&C and I said no I wanted it to happen naturally and he said to call him if I started to bleed profusely or was in a lot of pain. He didn't want to do any follow-up at all.

Well, thank goodness I came upon the website "Misdiagnosed Miscarriage" while I was googling 14,000 HCG and empty sac. It gave me the idea to get a 2nd opinion with a different doctor. I was praying that I would have a story to share and inspire other girls as well.

So, I went in Monday for another blood draw with a new doctor (but one I have seen in the past). My numbers went up to 20,000 but I knew that numbers could still go up even with a BO.
Well, I had my ultrasound with the new doctor this morning and within a second showed me the baby with a strong heartbeat. E> I was in shock as you can imagine. Remember, I was given ZERO hope.
She said my chances of a miscarriage now drop to 5% which is a heck of a lot better than 100% that my other doc gave me.

So, please..............
Always seek a 2nd opinion. Even if it is to just confirm what the first doctor said.
Good luck and GOD BLESS!!!!

Kelli
Nate & Kelli: Married 9/30/2000
SAHM to Jack (9) and Sam (7)
Rainbow Baby Due: April 5, 2013
kolbycheese
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Kelli's Story ~ Told Absolutely Going to Miscarry-levels

Postby Kay » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:34 am

Your post was hiding and just found it! So glad you posted. This happens so often. I hope you let that doctor know he was wrong. I guarantee you were not and will not be the only person he misdiagnoses!

Congratulations!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories