Dani's Story- Canceled D&C at 8 weeks & told molar pregnancy

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Dani's Story- Canceled D&C at 8 weeks & told molar pregnancy

Postby Kay » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 pm

With the forum in read-only status for awhile, I've asked some of our newer Misdiagnosed stories moms if I could post their stories for them. Here is Dani's:
Over a month ago, my husband and I found out we were pregnant with our third baby. We went into our first ultrasound when, based on my LMP, I should've been 8 weeks along. I am a nursing mother, so I knew that could definitely mess up timing. During the ultrasound the sonographer gave us the terrible news that she could not find a heartbeat. After speaking with the doctor I searched for every reason that a miscarriage wasn't forthcoming, but I was told that the embryo was 9mm and that at 4mm there should be a heartbeat 100% of the time. I was in complete shock and went ahead and scheduled a D&C for the end of the week. As I began to collect myself, I decided that I just wasn't comfortable with it and that I would rather miscarry naturally.

Two weeks passed with zero signs of a miscarriage. The doctor decided to do some follow-up bloodwork to see what my HcG levels were doing. They wanted to see them dropping, otherwise it meant that I had a molar pregnancy and would have to do a D&C. Of course after a full week of two blood tests and waiting for results my levels were still going up. They told me that they weren't going up high enough though for a healthy pregnancy (again dashing any hope). Since my doctor believed now that it was a molar pregnancy, I had to have another ultrasound to confirm it and follow that appt with a D&C.

As you can imagine, going into this ultrasound was one of the worst things I could think of. I was going to see my baby, but my baby wasn't alive. For over three weeks, I knew that I was carrying a "dead" baby in my belly. Life just became a little darker. We go into our appt (an hour late...more waiting) and explain our situation to a new sonographer. Within ten seconds of the ultrasound we see something that only God could've made...a healthy baby with a strong heartbeat!!!!

We are 9.5 weeks pregnant now with a yet to be explained miracle! Several doctors cannot explain it, but all agree that we have a healthy, perfect pregnancy.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Dani's Story- Canceled D&C at 8 weeks & told molar pregn

Postby delmel » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Dani,

I just cancelled a scheduled d&C today, because I just found this website. I have no signs of miscarriage, i'm about 8 to 9 weeks pregnant. Last week the doctor said they could not detect a heart beat. They have been sending me to get blood work done to check my Hcg levels. my levels were 33,000 and now is 27,000. The doctors told me this is not good that my levels are dropping. I have had no bleeding or cramping of any kind. Your story is giving me hope, I pray to God that He breathes life into my womb...
delmel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby fitham » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Right now I'm going through an emotional roller coaster.. Here is my story in short.
Last LMP - 18th January 2012
Hp test on - 22nd feb +ve
First IV u/s done on 8 th of march -
just gestational sac found - no fetal pole.. No yolk sac
Two weeks later on 22nd march I had another IV u/s done same results.. Only difference is my gestational sac doubled in size than before (from 8.5mm to 15 mm)
My doctor strongly suggesting D&C . I'm having a break down. I didn't accept her suggestion because I have all the normal pregnancy symptoms . My hcg level as on 23 rd march is 27159.
I had back ache in my left lower side lasted for 2 minutes and I'm perfectly normal now. No brown spotting no bleeding thank fully so far. Please suggest me something based on your experience. Thank you so very much. Your Website - It's the ray of hope for people like us :H :H :H :H
fitham
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby UmAhmed » Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Dani- I am so happy for you, you dont know what I felt when reading all your stories.
Like you i was diagnosed as Blighted Ovum patient. I went to ER with mild cramps - while doing the ultrasound the ER doctor noticed something. She sent me down with well trained sonographer. The sonographer have told me that Im having Blighted Ovum pregnancy. What was tht? It was the 1st time i ever heard
Such devastating word. I nver forget what the sonographer told me " you have a bligthed Ovum and there is no way this pregnancy will continue" he advise to have DnC the folowing day. My Husband and I were surprised. I cant sleep i didnt go to work, i went the following day for 2nd opinion. The other sonographer advise the same and even said i am suspecting an ectopic pregnancy here. She also advised for DnC that night. I signed the paper and waiting for insurane to approve my DnC, so we went home 1st to drop my son. Suddenly my phone rangs it was my OB. She is so mad and told me why i went to ER and telling here that thy said I have Blighted Ovum. She said that i was postive that you have a healthy pregnancy and how did they say that. I told her I signed for DnC that made her crazy. She said to cancel the appointment and its too early for the DnC and Blighted Ovum. She wanted to see me this Sunday ( may 13). But after reading this, You guys gave me hope. I know God is always great! I beleive God Moves in a mysterious way. :)
UmAhmed
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Danettestoll » Sun May 13, 2012 12:15 am

Ladies, please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. I had no idea I had received any responses. I can't tell you how much this experience has changed my life. The doctors still can't explain our little miracle and frankly who cares. We are just so excited and thankful to have a healthy growing BOY! I am now seven months along and as I type to you from my iPad he is kicking so hard that it keeps messing up my typing!
The only suggestions I have are to pray for strength and to wait until you have firm results with more than one opinion. For me I actually did have two doctor's opinion and additional hormonal testing but thankfully I waited for an additional ultrasound before I went through with the D&C. Even if your stories didn't have a happy ending I hope that my story not only gave you hope but the comfort of knowing that you aren't crazy for hoping for a miracle. This website was the one thing that made me feel that I wasn't insane and that this baby still had a chance. I will pray for you and in turn please pray for us as we enter the third trimester.
Danettestoll
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby UmAhmed » Sun May 13, 2012 2:54 am

Dear Dani

I am so happy for you and your lil baby boy. Im praying for the mothers
Whos wishing for a baby. Yes, i am still wishipung praying and hoping for a miracle to happen to me
And u r correct even it will not be happy ending iam still thankful that you guys are their and you are leaving proof for a miracle.

I will have my check up tonight. I will surely update you all what ever the result.

Thank you so much

Sincerely
UmAhmed
UmAhmed
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby josamarie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Thank you for this post, it gives me a little hope that we will have a positive outcome tomorrow. I had my first ultrasound a week ago today, and the baby measured 1.31 cm with no heartbeat. The sonographer was an idiot (only looked for the hb for 1 minute, spent 35 minutes measuring and re-measuring a "fibroid" in my uterus that turned out to be my ovary), and the radiologist literally just popped his head in the door to tell us that things were pretty strait forward, didn't even come in the room. I was pushed to do a D&C the same day with no blood draws or another ultrasound. I demanded that my high risk OB look again, so she ordered blood draws. My HCG levels dipped from 11,887 on Monday (5 days after the ultrasound) to 11,373 on Wednesday (I did the draws at the exact same time of day, so it was 48 hours exactly). My OB isn't optimistic and keeps telling me to prepare for bad news again, but agreed to do another scan tomorrow. I am trying not to hope because I don't want to break my heart all over again, but I just have to be sure. At least if we get bad news again tomorrow, I'll be 100% positive that I gave my baby every fighting chance. Thank you for your story!
josamarie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories