We got pg on our first cycle of TTC and it worked out perfect for the month I wanted our second baby to arrive (May). We were so happy, went to my family Dr to confirm by blood tests etc. At approx. 5.5 weeks had bright red blood after having intercourse and freaked out... went to Dr office next morning as I am O neg blood type and would need RhoGam needle. My Dr wasn't available so I saw another in the center who said all is well, it must have been something to do with the cervix but he would send for an HCG count anyway and no I didn't need a RhoGam shot unless I miscarried. Went for bloodtests the next morning and saw my own Dr who said he would need 2 counts to be sure so went again 2 days later and found the levels to go from 8000 to 35000 and he said everything was great! Then realized I should have a RhoGam needle (this is at 1w1d after bleeding) as I should have had it ASAP when I came in first time. At almost 11 weeks had some light bleeding only when after peeing, saw Dr again who sent me for RhoGam right away and HCG level check every 8 hours. Found levels went from 81000 to 73500 to 72000 in 16 hours. He said I had either already lost the baby or was about to. He sugested expectant mangagement and told me to wait. I waited 4 days and went back... I was an emotional wreck and couldn't think of anything... wondering if it was because I didn't get my RhoGam shot in time, if I was sensitized, I wasn't sleeping or eating... He gave me all the risks associated with a D&C and told me to wait it out another week and a half. I wanted more blood tests but he said it would be pointless as the levels could stay the same until the tissue passed. I asked for an u/s and he said he could do that but if they found any tissue they would do D&C immediately and I should avoid those risks for another week or so anyway. So we waited... went to see him last week and he said it would be a 2-3 week wait to see this high risk OB who will do the u/s and D&C. He would refer me to him and I should wait it out for his call... got my call the next afternoon, my appointment was for January 9th!!!! ALMOST 2 months away!!! I lost it.... couldn't handle the wait and went to the ER with pain inside the next day (worried I had some infection from the miscarriage!) and found a healthy baby that was only 2 days behind schedule according to my dates! Saw the heartbeat, brain, hand with 5 fingers... amazing!!
I am so upset that my Dr wouldn't get me an ultrasound to verify the miscarriage!! He was going to make me wait until January when I would be about 21-22 weeks along to see that I was in fact pregnant!! I had been drinking alcohol, stopped taking prenatal vitamins, took advil and other medications that you should try not to take while pregnant, etc. If I didn't go to the ER that day I would still be drinking for upcoming holiday celebrations, vacations, etc!
I have asked to be referred to my old OB from my previous delivery. We live in northern Alberta, Canada and there are only 2 OB's here so the wait times are high as there are quite a few pregnant women here. I had to see him 2 days ago to inform him that I still want to be referred over to my OB ASAP and he still keeps saying I'm still not out of the woods yet, etc. I couldn't tell him what I wanted to as I am not confrontational but wanted to tell him what an idiot he was not listening to me, all I wanted was proof that I miscarried so I could get over it, etc. Now I am struggling with the plans I made when I was trying to get over the miscarriage to do things I couldn't do if I was pregnant, etc. and I feel so guilty of everything!
I just wanted to share my story so others out there who are misdiagnosed miscarriage with blood levels fight for an ultrasound...
Healthy pregnancy vibes to all!