So Upset after being misdiagnosed!!!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

So Upset after being misdiagnosed!!!!

Postby cherbear25 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:17 pm

We got pg on our first cycle of TTC and it worked out perfect for the month I wanted our second baby to arrive (May). We were so happy, went to my family Dr to confirm by blood tests etc. At approx. 5.5 weeks had bright red blood after having intercourse and freaked out... went to Dr office next morning as I am O neg blood type and would need RhoGam needle. My Dr wasn't available so I saw another in the center who said all is well, it must have been something to do with the cervix but he would send for an HCG count anyway and no I didn't need a RhoGam shot unless I miscarried. Went for bloodtests the next morning and saw my own Dr who said he would need 2 counts to be sure so went again 2 days later and found the levels to go from 8000 to 35000 and he said everything was great! Then realized I should have a RhoGam needle (this is at 1w1d after bleeding) as I should have had it ASAP when I came in first time. At almost 11 weeks had some light bleeding only when after peeing, saw Dr again who sent me for RhoGam right away and HCG level check every 8 hours. Found levels went from 81000 to 73500 to 72000 in 16 hours. He said I had either already lost the baby or was about to. He sugested expectant mangagement and told me to wait. I waited 4 days and went back... I was an emotional wreck and couldn't think of anything... wondering if it was because I didn't get my RhoGam shot in time, if I was sensitized, I wasn't sleeping or eating... He gave me all the risks associated with a D&C and told me to wait it out another week and a half. I wanted more blood tests but he said it would be pointless as the levels could stay the same until the tissue passed. I asked for an u/s and he said he could do that but if they found any tissue they would do D&C immediately and I should avoid those risks for another week or so anyway. So we waited... went to see him last week and he said it would be a 2-3 week wait to see this high risk OB who will do the u/s and D&C. He would refer me to him and I should wait it out for his call... got my call the next afternoon, my appointment was for January 9th!!!! ALMOST 2 months away!!! I lost it.... couldn't handle the wait and went to the ER with pain inside the next day (worried I had some infection from the miscarriage!) and found a healthy baby that was only 2 days behind schedule according to my dates! Saw the heartbeat, brain, hand with 5 fingers... amazing!!

I am so upset that my Dr wouldn't get me an ultrasound to verify the miscarriage!! He was going to make me wait until January when I would be about 21-22 weeks along to see that I was in fact pregnant!! I had been drinking alcohol, stopped taking prenatal vitamins, took advil and other medications that you should try not to take while pregnant, etc. If I didn't go to the ER that day I would still be drinking for upcoming holiday celebrations, vacations, etc!

I have asked to be referred to my old OB from my previous delivery. We live in northern Alberta, Canada and there are only 2 OB's here so the wait times are high as there are quite a few pregnant women here. I had to see him 2 days ago to inform him that I still want to be referred over to my OB ASAP and he still keeps saying I'm still not out of the woods yet, etc. I couldn't tell him what I wanted to as I am not confrontational but wanted to tell him what an idiot he was not listening to me, all I wanted was proof that I miscarried so I could get over it, etc. Now I am struggling with the plans I made when I was trying to get over the miscarriage to do things I couldn't do if I was pregnant, etc. and I feel so guilty of everything!

I just wanted to share my story so others out there who are misdiagnosed miscarriage with blood levels fight for an ultrasound...

Healthy pregnancy vibes to all!

Cheryl
14 weeks
Due May21/06
cherbear25
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kclower » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:53 pm

Wow! what a horrible and amazing story. I am so glad that everything is better and that you got to see your healthy baby. Thak you for sharing your story!!!!!!

-Kim
kclower
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:19 am

Cheryl, sadly enough, your story is not that uncommon. I know a gal who had a D&C based on her doctor's diagnosis at about 12 weeks. They never did an ultrasound and her hcg's had dropped a bit. The thing is, after 8 weeks or so, numbers do start plateauing and dropping. This is normal and I wonder how many babies are unintentionally aborted because doctors don't do u/s's to verify there is no baby. Believe me, it bugs me to no end. Some doctors treat women like cattle and don't give much thought to them.

(((hugs))) to you and congratulations on your baby. What a blessing this baby will be.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby 4evamyangel » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:33 pm

Cheryl,
CONGRATS to you!!!! :yay: What a truly AMAZING story! I'm so happy for you! :yay: :heart: :yay: Please don't beat yourself up about all the things you might have done when you thought you were preparing for a loss. Hold steady to your faith that everything will turn out fine! Stay positive minded! :heart: and truly ENJOY and marvel in your MIRACLE story! :dance:

Jessica :heart:
Angel 12/15/04- B/O Twin Angels 4/28/05-2 B/O
ELIJAH born 10/14/06 @ 2:09pm 7lbs 6.5oz 20"
SAW Baby- 129BPM- EDD- 11/2/09-Praying still
http://www.babysites.com/sites/stasica/
http://www.dropshots.com/4evamyangel
4evamyangel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aussiegirl » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:48 pm

What really bothers me is how quickly those hcg levels were tested. HCG levels fluctuate throughout the day!!!! And that's why you need to wait 48 hours to get the next check. And 72 hours after 8 weeks. To me your doctor was way too hasty, but I guess it's a lesson that until you "feel" everything is over you should not take chances.
Luckily, it takes a lot of alchohol to get FAS, but be careful!!!

And great news that everything is okay!!
me-32 dh-39
Luciano Luis born Feb 25th, 2008
Gianluca McGregor born May 7th, 2006
miscarriage at 12 weeks, Dec/04
aussiegirl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Tara » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:21 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! :bananas: I know you are upset with your doctor, but the only thing you can do in this situation is think positively...think about what your body probably taught that doctor! You might have saved many more future babies, just by being strong and finding out the truth for yourself. I bet he thinks twice before he diagnoses a miscarriage from now on. When there are only two OB's to choose from, sometimes those doctors get "comfy" knowing they will get business no matter how they treat their patients. Maybe you impacted him, and he will not be so "comfy" any more!
Best wishes for a wonderful pregnancy!

Tara
Tara
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby siobhan050287 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:41 pm

first congratulations on your healthy preganancy!
i wanted to comment on the hcg's, i used to think that the fact they do not test then here in the U.K was a bad thing but with fluctuating hcg like a lot of women seem to be getting it may be a good thing!
i have only just found out that i am 7 weeks preggo, and i too have drank freely oer the past few weeks, i am absolutely mortified with this fact and cant stop worrying that i might have harmed my baby, i'm also a smoker and i didnt give that up till last week as again i had no clue!
again congrats :bouncey: and heres to an uneventful and happy pregnancy for you!
siobhan
xxx
siobhan050287
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Heart broken mum

Postby Nick123 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:15 am

Hey there I just want to say its so cool to c all the story's that have all ended in great news.
I'm ment to be ten weeks yestursday went in for my second dating scan to be told there is only a sack there and was told I need it removed my heart broke n started crying so I rang my midwife yesterday n they sent me in for blood test today I'm so scarded I have been booked in for Friday to c the people to have my sack removed but I'm still dry reaching in the mornings n really bad heart burn but still bleeding my minds all over the place
Nick123
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories