spotting, empty sac & MISDIAGNOSED

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

spotting, empty sac & MISDIAGNOSED

Postby babymomma » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:56 pm

I would like to share my story to give some kind of hope to those going through something similar. The day after my positive pregnancy test at the army hospital I began spotting. I wen't back to have everything checked out, everything seemed fine until the ultrasound. I was 5 weeks pregnant, my cervix was closed, hcg levels rising normally but no sac visible on u/s. The doctor was conviced I had an ectopic pregnancy (I had one 5 months prior) My husband and I were totally heartbroken and couldn't face another ectopic. I was sent to a hospital off-post and was admitted for observation and possible surgery. Thankfully, my doctor decided not to operate or terminate the pregnancy since my HCG was rising normally, the spotting subsided and I didn't have any pain. Six days later during my follow-up my doctor found a sac but it was empty and collapsing. I went back at 7 weeks for another check-up and during a lengthy scan, the doc concluded that my sac was definitely empty. He saw no yoke, no fetal pole and at 7 weeks it should definitely be there. He suggested that I have a D&C or I could wait until I miscarry on my own. Still wanting some kind of hope, I asked, "what if I don't miscarry on my own?" his response was, "you will, I'm sure of it." My husband and I couldn't lose hope, with our faith so strong. We knew that the God we serve is a faithful God. For weeks I searched this website & was inspired by misdiagnosed stories. Instead of going back in two weeks for a follow-up, we decided to hold off and put it in God's hands. We went for our 13 week visit yesterday (6 weeks later). The doctor forgot about his last diagnosis and began a routine prenatal visit. He put a probe against my abdomen and we heard a heartbeat instantly. The doctor shortly remembered our last visit, looked through my chart & urgently left the room. When he came back we were told we needed to get into ultrasound and he apologized because he thought this was a routine visit & forgot about his last diagnosis. My heart sunk, I thought something was terribly wrong. Once the ultrasound probe was inserted I immediately saw my baby, there was no mistaking it and suddenly everything was all right! Our doctor was amazed at what was on the screen, almost disoriented. He said he had never seen anything like it throughout his career, that it could not be scientifically explained. He looked at my old sonograms totally at awe. This was a first for him and was very apologetic. I told him that it was a miracle, that was the only explanation. He said doctors aren't supposed to believe in miracles but science can't explain what happened to us. I can. It was GOD. We are blessed, my blightened ovum is now 13 weeks and healthy!

A scripture that helped me get through this, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Nothing is impossible. I hope this helps someone....
babymomma
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: spotting, empty sac & misdiagnosed

Postby tissy125 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Thank you so much for your story, it gives me hope :o)

I am almost 8 weeks pregnant, and last Monday I was tentatively diagnosed with a blighted ovum. I work at an OB-Gyn office, so I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks, just to take a peek. To my surprise, we saw the gestational sac, but it was empty. Since that first ultrasound I had one more done, at 6 weeks 5 days, and the outcome was the same. The sac was still empty, but had grown to 19.9mm, which, to the Dr's almost always indicates a blighted ovum. I was told by one of the Dr's at the practice that it was a miscarriage, and she gave me a paper listing my options. I couldn't believe how harsh she was, like there was absolutely no chance for my baby.

I have decided to wait it out, and wait on God. My hcg levels have been rising, and I've had no bleeding or cramping. I am hoping and believing that when I go in for another follow up ultrasound on Monday (I'll be 8 weeks on Wednesday), that I will see our baby for the first time. God has given me and my husband such peace about this whole situation. This site, and stories like yours have given me hope. Thank you so much for sharing your story!
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:27 pm

I am almost six weeks, I've had two ultrasounds in the past two weeks, the doc said he only sees a sac...no heartbeat. I went in for a f/u today, he said my hcg levels are going up slowly. Thursday they were in the 8,000's & monday they only went in to the 9,000's and the sono that was taken monday showed the same empty sac it showed last thursday. He stated due to my slowly increasing hcg levels & my empty sac I should be miscarrying soon. I haven't had any harsh cramping or bleeding. He have me the three options, but I refused to have a d&c. I don't believe on such things unless it is medically necessary. I couldn't take the pills either, as I have hope my doc was mistaken.

I am no doctor but I know my cycle and it was irregular, as well as me keeping track of my activity. The dates the doc is suggesting I conceived are impossible. My husband was away for two weeks & before he left I had my lmp. The doc is putting me at 8-9 weeks. According to my dates I should be about 5-6weeks. If Iam not mistaken a hb isn't usually seen until the 6th week maybe longer.i have prayed everyday since my first positive hpt as this is my first pregnancy. I continue to pray & hope the doc was wrong. I have another f/u appt on aug 24th & I am hoping they see something. It is very scary & some what heart breaking to know I've tried so long to conceive & now I don't know what's going on in there. I have decide to wait it out & leave it in gods hands.

God is good & I know he won't put anything in my path I cannot handle. Your story & the story of others have given me & my family hope. Thank you for sharing your story.
Savannah
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby babymomma » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:02 pm

I am really glad to hear you ladies were inspired by my testimony. I've learned through this website & from my experience, to not worry so much about hcg levels and u/s especially before 8-9 weeks. Unless of course you have having signs or symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy, because that could be life threatening. My baby wasn't even found until my 13th week! & I had several u/s done before then. This baby will be my 3rd & with my first 2, I never had my hcg monitored or a u/s before 9 weeks. Go with your instinct & God bless you & your babies both. Praying for y'all!
babymomma
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Just wanted to update...

Babymomma, I wanted to ask you before, do you know if you have a tilted/retroverted uterus? I know a lot of the stories that turned out good the women had one, I don't though, mine is normal, so I was just curious if you knew about yours?

I was scheduled for another ultrasound on Wednesday the 10th. At that point I was pretty sure I was going to go ahead and take the Cytotec if nothing had changed, but the night before I went back to deciding I was going to wait it out. I was very conflicted. About an hour before the ultrasound I decided to pray, and ask God that if I was supposed to wait, to at least let me see something different on the ultrasound. So, I went in, and nothing had changed, still an empty sac, but now measuring 31mm. As the tech was looking around, she stopped, and noticed a small circle, perfectly round, on the outside of the sac on the top. She wasn't sure what it was. She thought it could be the start of a bleed, but said usually with a bleed they aren't perfectly round. So that gave me my answer, I'm going to wait it out a little bit longer. I know it might have been nothing, but we had never seen it before.

I also decided to have my hcg levels checked again. I know with a blighted ovum, levels usually don't matter much, but I wanted to see where they ended up. I was 8 weeks exactly that day. They rose from 33722 9 days prior, to 100543 that day. So a definite rise.

So at this point, I'm still waiting and praying that God performs a miracle. The whole ob office I work at knows that I was told I'm going to miscarry, so what a testament it would be to have a baby show up! I still have no pain or bleeding, so we are still praying for that miracle! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, we appreciate it!
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Dear tissy125,I was diagnosed with an empty sac and they didnt find my twins till 11 weeks pregnant! I dont have a tilted uterus neither,so I hope this helps comfort you in some way.Stay positive and your little miracle will show,your still early.I believe in my heart anything before 12 weeks can hide E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Amymo, thanks for the response, it's really helping me keep hope! Your story was actually the very first story I ever read on this site. I cried so hard after I read it! I read it to my husband and he cried too. Your story gave us a lot of hope.

May I ask what your main pregnancy symptoms were? Mine are very mild this pregnancy. Before I had my first ultrasound I kept commenting that I wish I felt more pregnant, because my symptoms were so mild. I know every pregnancy is different, so I couldn't really base anything off that alone.

Did the doctors have any explanation for you as to why they didn't see your babies until 11 weeks? I think I might have an easier time believing the diagnosis if my sac wasn't measuring almost exact with how far along I am, and if my hcg levels weren't so high. So, for now, I'm keeping hope, and doing a lot of praying. I have really been feeling that I need to wait, so that is what I'm doing. I will probably have another u/s on Monday, since I work in the ob office, I usually check once a week, to make sure that nothing negative has started. So I will keep you updated if you would like me too :o) Thanks again for your kind words!
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Dear tissy125,the craziest thing about my preagnancy is I didnt have any symtoms,no morning sickness,no cravings...just my belly was looking bloated,lol.When I got farther along they told me my morning sickness should be twice as bad because of twins,it wasnt! i vomited 4 times maximum...through my whole pregnancy!sweety I will pray for you and your husband,I just strongly believe you are too early to see anything.Dont let them talk you in to doing anything! let nature take its course...Im not trying to give you false hope...But I strongly believe your little one will be seen! Hang in there,Im here for you if you have any questions..Im not a doctor,but Ive learned my story happens alot more often than you think.Take care and Im definately going to keep checking your results.Please keep in touch E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Amymoe, it's actually pretty funny because these past few days I have felt very sick, and I haven't at all before this week. I thought it was strange that I pretty much had no symptoms, but it sounds like it's pretty common.

I wanted to tell you, when I first talked to one of the dr's at the practice, he said "well it does look like a blighted ovum, but what are your hcg levels?" I told him what they were at the time, just over 33000, at almost 7 weeks. He said to me "it could be twins" :o) I just thought it was funny, since they didn't see your baby for so long, and you did have twins :o) The thing I don't understand I guess is where would the baby or babies hide? I guess the whole thing is just confusing to me.

I'm praying everything works out. I'm trying to decide if I want to have an ultrasound again tomorrow or Tuesday, or if I should just wait. Most of the time I feel pretty calm, and I try not to think about something bad happening. I'm believing we will see our baby soon though. Thanks for your support, it means so much to me!
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Good after noon Tissy,when I say there hiding..its just a figure of speech.I just think they are tooo small to see,your HCG levels sound wonderful! They are pretty high,sometimes they can misdiagnose dates as well,because depending for instance on twins,they can take like an extra week in which they split.Mine are Identical twins and they were in the same sac.They told me it was one sperm that split in to two and while that process happens ,it basically puts you a week back because it can take up to I believe like 8 days,not 100% sure on that,but something like that.We dont have twins in the family so it was a huge surprise,and I learned identical twins are not hereditary only fraternal twins are.Does your tummy look bloated or puggy,lol.when they were telling me I had a blighted ovum,my belly looked preagnant,I had a bulge under my belly button.They were born good size babies,one was 6 lbs 6 oz and the other twin was 5 lbs 5oz .That was a long journey because being in the same sac they monitored me like crazy because they worry about cord entanglement and twin to twin transfusion.Im so interested to find out your outcome.Good luck sweety,keep me posted E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Amymoe,

:o) I knew the baby wasn't actually hiding, it's just strange to me that some babies show up late. It's so hard when doctors always go off of the data that they have. How you're supposed to see something by a certain time. I get that it's what normally happens, but they have to realize that sometimes things take longer. I wish they wouldn't diagnose things so early. I would be overjoyed if we had twins, my husband would be a little freaked out, but he would be happy too :o) I'm happy no matter what, I just want a healthy baby.

As for having a bulge, I had one to begin with around my stomach, it never really went away from my first pregnancy :o) I wish it would have, but I didn't do much to make it go away either, haha :o) But I do notice my pants fit a littler tighter, so I know something is going on. I haven't noticed any significant weight gain or anything either, a couple of pounds at the most. Did you gain weight quickly that you noticed?

I will decide tomorrow if I want to have an ultrasound this week or not. The dr does want to monitor me to make sure everything stays normal since I have decided to wait, so we'll see. I will let you know what happens. Praying I see something soon!!
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 pm

I didnt gain much weight at all,people found it very hard to believe I was having twins.I think maybe with in the first 3 months I gained about 8 pounds.I think if you have access to an ultrasound machine,I would go for it! Check it out,you may see something.If you dont..its ok,do it again next week.I know if you check tomorrow its going to be scary,I was such a chicken to go to my appointment.I just strongly believe you may see something...trust me..im very hard headed and never except doubt!!! I will pray that you see something POSITIVE!!! Let me know what happens E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:26 pm

And if by any chance you see twins...I have a ton of stuff to send your way,hahaha..good luck!
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Amymoe,
So I just had my u/s, still empty. I am 8w5d today and it was measuring 9w2days, which is the first time it had measured that far ahead, usually its pretty much on track. It's measuring 40mm now. They also saw two spots outside the sac, and the dr said he didn't know what it was. So, I'm still waiting. The sonographer seems baffled. So I'm still waiting and praying. I plan to have another one next week. Just wanted to update you :-)
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Sounds more and more like my story!!! My sac measured larger than what I was,thankyou for keeping me posted,I know its stressful...just hang in there,Im praying for you.xoxoxo
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:52 pm

It's getting hard to wait when all i keep seeing is a really large empty sac. Most of the time I'm ok, but days like today its really hard. Everyone in my office is so sure it's over but I'm trying to stay positive. Thanks for the encouragement :-)
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Dear Tissy125 ,I hope your doing ok,I know its hard to stay positive,just dont lose hope. :)
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Amymoe,
I had another u/s today. The sac is still empty, measuring right where I am, 9w5d. The sonographer said the inside looks hazy now, not sure what that means, but I definitely noticed it. So, I'm waiting another week for another scan. I keep praying and hoping. I'm still having mild pregnancy symptoms, seems like I feel nauseated more often. I just want something to happen. I'm ready for either outcome, it's the waiting that is so hard. Anyway, just wanted to update you....
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Hello tissy125,I hope your doing ok.Hang in there E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tissy125 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm still hanging in there, I have another u/s tomorrow, i will be almost 11 weeks. Still no miscarriage symptoms, and I'm still feeling sick a lot. I'm praying for some kind of change tomorrow. I'll post an update after the scan, hopefully it will be good news....
tissy125
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories