Blighted ovum diagnosed false,amazing outcome!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Blighted ovum diagnosed false,amazing outcome!

Postby amymoe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:31 pm

I discovered I was pregnant due to 5 pregnancy test,four negative and one positive! I thought for sure it must be early menopause because I was 34 and we already had three children and were being very careful not to conceive.I was having some strong cramping at about 5 weeks so I went to the ER ,they did a urine test and told me I was not pregnant, so then I pulled a digital test out of my purse that was still showing I was pregnant and they must be wrong,so they did a blood test and confirmed I was pregnant.so I accepted our family was going to get bigger and started making changes at home to except there was a baby growing inside of me,of coarse my hubby,and my 17 year old daughter,16 year old son and 11 year old daughter were very excited! At 9 weeks,i had been bleeding,spotting on and off for two days followed by really bad stomach aches,so I headed to the ER to make sure nothing was wrong.They gave me a vaginal ultrasound and didnt look very happy and told me the ER doctor will come in to talk to me about the diagnoses.The ER doctor came in and told me I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum,they told me my sac was measuring larger than it should have been and I must of been farther than I had known ,and that the fetus never made it,and assured me to schedule a D&C asap.Of coarse I argued and left upset,because that was not what I wanted to hear.I cried for days and felt very sick wandering how that could happen and what did I do wrong,and yes...I prayed day and nite for the little one that never made it in to the sac.I scheduled an appointment for the D&C but requested I get one more ultrasound before its performed.The day before my D&C I was sitting on my porch at 5 AM AND PRAYED AND WROTE THIS LITTLE POEM.."LORD,PLEASE CALM MY NERVES,i AM SO SCARED,WORRIED ABOUT TOMORROW,IF ANYTHING IS THERE,GROWING A PREGNANT BELLY,THE THOUGHT OF AN EMPTY SAC,SCARES ME TO DEATH LORD PLEASE GIVE IT BACK,I KNOW YOU WOULDNT GIVE ME AN OBSTACLE,THAT I COULDNT TAKE,BUT THE LOVE HAS GROWN DEEP,THIS MUST BE A MISTAKE,DAY BY DAY WAITING TO SEE A DOC,MINUTE BY MINUTE WATCHING THE CLOCK,I KNOW THERES A LITTLE ONE,HE JUST DIDNT GET SEEN,HE WAS TO YOUNG AT THE TIME AND THEY TOLD ME THE WORST THING,HE'S READY FOR US NOW, TO START FUTURE PLANS AND IN SEVEN MONTHS WE'LL BE HOLDING HIS HANDS,LORD PLEASE LET THE HEALTH AND ALL BE STRONG,HE HAS A FAMILY WAITING FOR HIM TO COME ALONG,AMEN" .So the next day,which would have put me at 11 weeks pregnant, I went to my dreadful appointment,I went by myself ,because I didnt want anyone to see how really hurt I was.They called me in and had me undress and cover up with the sheet and brought in the vaginal ultrasound equipment.I was shaking I was so scared,they had to keep telling me to relax,the dr. was looking very surprised and told me to look at the monitor,as I looked I couldnt believe my eyes,there were TWO fetuses with very strong heart beats in one sac!! (IDENTICAL TWINS),I jumped off the table shaking and had to call my husband,I couldnt believe my eyes!!!I delivered in febuary of 2011 (this year)! Beautiful healthy,identical twin girls! I just wanted to share my story and hope it helps someone that has been told what I was told,dont give up or give in untill you know for sure! always get second opinions,you have patient rights and you know your body,I feel the stress I endured at 9 weeks I could have miscarried,and if I would of hurried to have the D&C performed it would have been a double abortion.God works miracles!Good luck women,and any questions im here for you! xoxoxoxo 8)O 8)O
Last edited by amymoe on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Blighted ovum diagnosed false,amazing outcome!

Postby maxwellmar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:57 pm

I loved your prayer! Do you recalll your HCG level at 9 weeks when you experienced the bleeding? I am almost 6 weeks with HCG levels at 22,000. I have a gestational sac, but nothing else. Of course, the doctors aren't hopeful, but I am!
maxwellmar
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Good morning,I just dug out paper work from my pregnancy and I hope this helps,@ 5 weeks my HCG level was only 163,and at 9 weeks it was 20,534.Just keep positive thinking and hang in there,I believe blighted ovums are misdiagnosed more,than they are.Please keep me posted,I will keep you in my prayers.When do you go back to the doctor? The problem is when the doctor tells you things,we automatically believe them.they were so positive that i had lost my pregnancy that I actually argued with them.I say your still pregnant! until your %100 positive of whats going on,dont stress and take care of that little one.Pray...... E> ,I believe they will find him.
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:09 pm

I experienced bleeding about 6 weeks on and off,cramping etc.....And from reading on here of other peoples blogs,bleeding,cramping sounds like it is all part of the process! do you have any other children? And just to make you feel better ,the doctors said with an HCG level of 20534,that they definately should of seen something,and they DIDNT!! If you know in your heart your pregnant,I believe you are!
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby maxwellmar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Thank you so much for your response and your prayers! One week ago, I started to have some light bleeding. When it got heavier the next day, I went to the emergency room, although, I had no cramping or pain at all. My HCG levels were 11,000 (I was 5 weeks), but my gestational sac was empty. There was also a cyst on my ovary. Because they couldn't confirm the pregnancy was in my uterus (because my sac was empty), they were concerned with a tubal pregnancy. The doctors were hoping to see at least a yolk sac considering my HCG levels were so high. I was sent home, although not before suggesting terminating the pregnancy (already!!!!). I went back on Wednesday (bleeding had stopped); my HCG levels increased to 17,000. Of course, doctor was not happy that the level hadn't doubled. Still, there was nothing in the gestational sac. She still was not hopeful that this was a viable pregnancy. I told her I disagreed with her. Two days later, on Friday, more blood work and another ultrasound. My HCG levels had increased to 22,000. I was happy with this! Still nothing in the gestational sac, so doctor still wasn't happy. The cyst on my ovary has not grown, so that's been promising. It is unlikely the cyst on my ovary is the pregnancy and more the corpus luteum. I have another blood test tomorrow (Monday), and one on Thursday with an ultra sound on Thursday as well. I am praying my HCG levels continue to increase and am waiting to hear the doctor gasp when she sees my baby (or babies)! I have been practicing unwavering faith in God and truly believe it is His will that my baby (babies) are healthy, safe, and in my uterus. I also know that it is His will that I go full term and have a healthy pregnancy and healthy babies. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Please pray for me and my baby (babies)! God bless!
maxwellmar
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Im 99.9% positive you are pregnant and it is to early to see the baby or babies.Your situation sounds so much like mine,They couldnt see anything and thought mabe it was a tubal.I am very xcited for you.I think your HCG levels are amazing!!!! every one is different,and every pregnancy is different.Please keep me posted E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:20 pm

How was your tuesday appointment? I hope all is well E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby maxwellmar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Hello! Hope you're well. Thank you so much for thinking of me. I had blood drawn on Monday, but no appointment. My HCG levels were 22,000 on Friday, and 27479 on Monday. Not doubling, but I was happy they increased. I will have my HCG levels read tomorrow and an ultrasound tomorrow as well. I have been praying to God, to Saint Gerard, the Patron Saint of Motherhood, and Saint Gianna Beretta Molla. Please keep me in your prayers!
maxwellmar
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Good,im very excited for you.I hope they see the little darling tomorrow,or darlings :) Sometimes they hide for a while,we didnt see mine till 11 weeks! stay positive and please keep me posted,I check this constantly and love to see the happy outcomes! Take care,xoxox
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:32 am

I love your prayer. I have prayed every night since I first saw a positive read on my first hpt. Though I was in such disbelief since I have been trying to conceive for sometime and nothing. I literally took four hpt, a urine test at the doc and blood testing...all to make sure it was true. It was the happiest day of my life when the doc said "yes, you are pregnant." According to my calculations I am about 5w5d, since I have an irregular cycle and keep track of everything down to my activity. But the doc states otherwise, because he's going off a regular 28day cycle where mine is actually every 35-37days. I went in for my first u/s on 8/3/11, all they saw was an empty sac. The tech gave me some hope and said it could be an early pregnancy. They scheduled me for a doc appt the next day to take a look at my hcg level, the conclusion...they were rising. I had been rescheduled for a f/u u/s & doc appt for 8/10/11. On monday 8/8/11 I went to the ER because I passed light blood in my urine. Being that this is the first pregnancy, I wanted to make sure everything was ok. Just as the last u/s showed, there was still just an empty sac but my hcg levels did increase. On 8/4 it was in the 8,000's and on 8/8 it was in the 9,000's. Which according to my doc on 8/10 was not so good because they should be doubling. He pretty much told me since they could not see anything on the two u/s that were done and my hcg levels were moving slowly, that my chances are no good. He proceeded to discuss my options. He told me about the d&c, the pill or naturally passing it. I don't feel in my heart anything is wrong. D&C is not for me, I feel like I'd be giving up on our baby too soon, like I didnt even give her a chance. I believe it maybe too early to see anything or even hear anything. But again he is going by his own calculation, even after me explaining to him I have an irregular cycle and the days he is suggested I may have conceived are impossible because my husband was away on business and the day he left af was in town. I am hoping and praying, my baby is just taking her time to be seen. I love my husband because he really is optimistic, while I am more of a nervouse wreck. I am trying to stay calm, but I refuse to see a doctor for at least two more weeks. He hurt my heart with his diagnosis yesterday and I really dont want to hear him repeat the same negative information. As, I said earlier I have been praying since the day of the first test, I believe god doesnt put you in situations you can't handle and I know my prayers have not gone unheard. Each of the stories I have read on this site, give me so much hope & I pray I am able to update with a good outcome.
Savannah
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:47 am

SAVANNAH,I completely understand what your going through,I strongly believe it is to early to see your baby! My cycles were always irregular as well,I would be any where from 35 to 39 days,also My HCG levels were never really good neither,and they say with twins they should have been double than a single pregnancy.I would definately hold off going back to the doctor! The doctors had me so scared to go in that there were times farther along in my pregnancy I didnt go,even later finding out I had toxemia for a little while and didnt go.I am very excited for you and every pregnancy is different,my first pregnancy they seen the baby very early,and this last pregnancy they took a while to show.I just wish the doctors would have a little more hope and wait till your farther along to diagnose if theres a baby or not.You know your body and if you believe in your heart the little one is hiding chances are,she or he is! Just keep doing everything healthy,I cant wait to here your outcome! I also had talked with another OB doctor asking about why women are diagnosed so early about having an empty sac,and she told me she will not diagnose anyone like that untill they hit twelve weeks!!! she told me she has seen way to many cases in which the baby doesnt show on ultrasound till eleven weeks.so I believe this is very common! She also told me they dont even do an ultrasound until the woman is 9 weeks! I strongly believe you are just early.I know the waiting.....is the worst,and so much runs through your mind,but in the end it is worth the wait! Im getting goose bumps right now writing you! Good luck sweety and please keep me posted,Im here for you if you have any questions.Take care E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I scheduled an appointment with another doctor at a different hospital. Hopefully, they will be more optimistic than the last doctor. Though it still may be early, they may have a different opinion. I will definitely keep you posted. It its calming to know I am not alone or the only one feeling this way. My next appt is 8/18....I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!
Savannah
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:07 pm

maxwellmar,how did your ultrasound go??
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Savannah,Good luck on your august 18th appointment!!! Your in my thoughts and prayers! E>
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Thank you kindly!! :)O
Savannah
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby etrnty4195 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 pm

i received your reply on the story i commented on and was actually very happy to see that someone had actually seen what i had said. it made my situation feel important and for that i am truly grateful to you. thank you. they say i should be about 9 or 10 weeks but when i went into the office to speak to the doctor after getting my levels taken she did not tell me what my levels were nor did she tell me what they were actually seeing or not seeing in the ultrasound. i mean i could see that i couldnt see anything but it wasnt actually said until i had to come out and say it. im just so confused about everything and dont think that in this case i should have left so confused. i should have known more about what what was going on. i denied the d&c and am going to change OB doctors because of this. your story spoke to me and sounded just so much like mine, and im so grateful to this site and to you in fact for sharing with me and speaking with me. i have much more hope now then i did just a few minutes ago thanks to you. once again thank you so much!! i feel as if i have made a friend i never knew. your prayer :H was so beautiful and it completely touched my heart E> i will keep my story updated. thanks once again. :)O
etrnty4195
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:18 am

Dear Etrnty4195,You are so welcome sweety,something just draws me back to this website,lol.I remember when I was told that I had a blighted Ovum and didnt even know what the heck it was,I never even heard that word used.I felt lost,hopeless and didnt know who to turn to,I was super depressed.This website helped me stay positive and thats why I return to it.I want to help anyone that needs support,If thousands read it and I only helped one person,it was worth it.I even read on here in which women were 13 weeks pregnant and finally got to see there little one in the ultrasound.So I just believe anything is possible and I strongly believe more women are misdiagnosed than actually having something wrong.My husband thinks its crazy that I check womens stories when Im not preagnant,and certainly am not having no more babies,5 is plenty...the twins keep me super busy!! I just want to be here for anyone that has questions or curious in a situation like mine.Definately keep me posted...i will pray for you E> And know you have a friend here if you need to talk,xoxoxo
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby etrnty4195 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:54 pm

i had called another doctor to get a second opinion and she was able to locate my hcg level test quantities. she said they were 18900 i believe so she said that there should definately have been something there because those levels are high. so now i am truly confused on what to do. because that says i should be 9 to 10 weeks which there usually is a baby showing in the ultrasound. i just dont know what to do. can you give me some advice? please and thank you. i really dont know anything about this or even about hcg levels so im so confused. :sos
etrnty4195
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby amymoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:15 pm

I hope this helps you...Im looking at my paperwork rite now....at 9 weeks my HCG levels were 20,534 thats when they diagnosed me with a blighted ovum,they told me with HCG levels that high they definately should have seen something...I argued with them,and they were so positive with those readings that I didnt have a baby in me! They were wrong...I Had two babies in me and they couldnt find neither one!
amymoe
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby etrnty4195 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanx I wish I cld say I had paperwork 2 look at but I receive nothing from them which is so obnoxious and aggravating. But its nice 2 know that someone else had high levels at the same time as I am. I have called the office again and demanded 2 speak 2 someone again so that I have more of an understanding and to let them know that I also pretty much demand they do more tests and a couple more u/s so that I can b sure that they r right. My appt is tomorrow so I will update. Thnx! :)
etrnty4195
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories