Kerry's Story 20mm sac and NO baby but found two weeks later

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Kerry's Story 20mm sac and NO baby but found two weeks later

Postby Kay » Mon May 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Kerry gave me permission to share her story here:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a very similar story to you that I wanted to share with you, given that your web page gave me lots of usefull info and also some hope, as I had just been told that I also had a blighted ovum. I have a little boy who is nearly four and had previously gone through a miscarriage at only about 7 weeks, before having my son.

With this latest pregnancy I had a tiny bit of pink spotting at about 6 weeks so thought I’d better do the right thing and go to my GP for an ultrasound referral. So I went along to the u’sound at 6 weeks, 5 days and they did a transvaginal u’sound. They told me that the u’sound appearance was consistent with a blighted ovum as the slightly irregular gestational sac had a mean diameter of 20mm and no yolk sac or foetal pole as identified. So that was very upsetting to say the least!!! I had been experiencing a lot of morning sickness though and continued to do so but I knew that often happened with a b’ovum so I wasn’t overly surprised (but thought It was very unfair to feel sick for no good reason!!)

So I spoke to my doctor about it and he said we should keep monitoring my pregnancy hormone levels to see what they were doing and sure enough they kept increasing quite substantially, although certainly not doubling every two days as they traditionally ‘should’.( I think they got up to about 185,000 the last time I had them tested!) Anyway, my doctor thought I should do another ultrasound, so I did, at 8 weeks and 4 days I think it was, and amazingly, everything appeared to be perfectly normal and on-track!!!! We couldn’t believe it – I guess I thought there might be a 10% chance that there was a baby there afterall (my hubby told me later that he thought there may be up to a 40% chance given the info he had researched, but he didn’t want me to get my hopes up!) but I really didn’t hold out much hope, especially because I had no idea if I had a tilted uterus or not so was not sure it that had made things harder to see or not, as your web page had discussed. And sure enough, I found out at this scan that I did in fact have a retroverted uterus!!

The little tacker was the right size for its age, had a strong heartbeat and all the other measures seemed spot on as well! We were utterly amazed and of course over the moon!!! I have since had my 12 week 6 day u’sound which was really good and everything appears on track. The only slightly perturbing thing was my blood results for the downs syndrome testing – My background risk for my age of 35 was 1:126, my u’sound alone risk was 1: 3751 but my biochemistry/blood risk was 1:27 !! So it bought my overall risk to 1:355 but this was without the nasal bone stats being incorporated into the mix – this risk feature was ‘turned on’ on their computer systems a few days after my scan and our ultrasoundographer said this would have substantially lowered my risk even further, which was nice to know! So we are not too worried about it – especially when they consider the u’sound to be worth about 70% of the prediction and the bloods about 15% (the % rest being the normal risk/margin for error etc). And even if we do have a baby with down’s we will do our best to deal with the situation and love it just as much as we would a ‘normal’ baby (we are not going to do a cvs to find out any further information as we would not terminate the pregnancy even if we found out it had downs and we wouldn’t want to increase our risk of miscarriage due to the procedure itself).

Anyway, so we have our fingers crossed for a safe (and hopefully healthy!) delivery at the end of all of this! Thank you so much for all your helpful information and the hope that your website delivers! Please feel free to use any of the above info if it is of use.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Kerry's Story 20mm sac and NO baby but found two weeks l

Postby caylasanson » Wed May 18, 2011 1:55 pm

im 8 weeks pregnant and i had a 5 cm sac with no baby.the doctor said i should for sure see a baby at this point and i have a blighted ovum that my baby never developed.well i told her i needed a few days to think about my options.originally i wanted to naturally miscarry but now im leaning towards d&c because my sac is 2 inches wide and i would see a good size tissue come out and would probably freak out.however,yesterday was my first lab work with my hcg levels (switched dr's because my last dr sucked).she said they are normal HOWEVER with the blighted ovum they will stay the same or just increase a tiny bit but not double.well i was wanting to have additional blood work tomorrow (my 48 hours) to see if they doubled by any chance to just MAKE SURE there is no chance of a baby before i rish into a d&c.however, she's telling me if i want a d&c ill have to do it tomorrow because the doctors wont be there friday and if i were to miscarry over the weekend my doctors wouldnt be available to do my d&c a stranger would have too.well i dont feel equipped to make this decision that quick without seeing how my hcg levels are.what should i do?i need opinions and advice.pleaseee help
caylasanson
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Kerry's Story 20mm sac and NO baby but found two weeks later

Postby Kay » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Kerry emailed me some time ago to let me know her little guy was born and sent photos of such a beautiful little guy.

She also shared with me a letter she wrote to the hospital after her misdiagnosis and their response. I asked permission to share it and finally did so today. I think writing a letter to the doctor and the hospital where the doctor practices is a great idea.

Here is my blog post on this letter:

After the Miscarriage was Misdiagnosed - One Mother's Letter to the Hospital and Their Response

Another congratulations to Kerry and huge thank you for helping women who are going through a miscarriage scare.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories