Misdiagnosed! Heartbeat.. no heartbeat no growth

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed! Heartbeat.. no heartbeat no growth

Postby Sofia1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm

After trying on our own for 4 years this was our first ivf with icsi and everything seemed to be going so well.

6wks2day u/s showed a flicker/fast heartbeat and everything "looked great" but last 11 days later on Monday 22 March 2010 at our u/s there was a "nice big yolk sac" etc but the baby wasn't the 'right size', only measured 6 wks 1 day and no heartbeat. The doctor told us it was not viable and we should either wait for a natural miscarriage or they recommended D&C.

So they referred us to the miscarriage clinic but said that I'll have an appointment the next week and then the actual d&c the day after that.

The worst thing was I was still having morning sickness and all the other sxs and my betas are still going up steadily. I went for another beta two days after the 'bad scan' (8 weeks) and it went up to 122000 from 77000 just 5 days prior. When the nurse phoned with the results she just said "it doesn't change anything" and started talking about our options again for d&c.

So Monday 29 March I went to the assessment. I knew something wasn't right and told them I needed to have peace of mind and wanted another scan. They were very supportive and booked me in for the next day at the hospital.

I lay on the bed and told the radiographer that we were only going to be confirming the worst... next thing out of her mouth was "Oh no we're not there's a beautiful baby there with a heartbeat!"

Measuring a day ahead at 9wks1day waving at me and hiccuping away was our baby! The radiographer was amazed at how anyone could have missed it.

If I had just gone along with the doctors my baby would have been killed. AND this was supposed to be the leading fertility doctor in our country!!!

Girls ALWAYS get a second opinion, get a third if you need to, just be sure before you make any decisions about a miscarriage.

The week I thought that the baby had died was the worst of my life, I can't begin to explain the grief, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

23 Feb Beta #1 11dp3dt = 246,
27 Feb Beta #2 15dp3dt = 1646,
3 Mar Beta #3 19dp3dt = 8963,
11 Mar Beta #4 30dpo = 30,900,
11 Mar u/s 1 bean with h/b!, measured perfectly a 6wk2days
19 Mar Beta #5 = 77,894
22 Mar - u/s told "non viable" angel baby measuring 2 weeks behind at 6wk1day, no heartbeat.
25 Mar Beta #5 = 122,900,
30 Mar - u/s Healthy Bean measuring 9wk1day, heartbeat and hiccups!
Sofia1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:58 pm

Thank goodness you had that scan. We always try to tell women here that if there are no serious complications, wait a week for that follow-up scan once the baby is seen without a heartbeat. I am so glad you did.

Congratulations to you!

We've also learned that some of worst offenders to misdiagnose are also considered the BEST doctors in their field. It does seem like the old-fashioned rural doctor is far less likely to misdiagnose a pregnancy.

Please, keep us updated on you. You are going to have thousands of women reading your story and they all LOVE updates!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Misdiagnosed! Heartbeat.. no heartbeat no growth

Postby nuria » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:04 pm

its comforting to hear stories like yours after trying to get pregnant for two years I had given up getting pregnant naturally and went to see a doctor to start the procedure for IVF when I found out I was 3 1/2 weeks pregnant at 6 weeks I had a ultrasound and my baby had a good strong heartbeat and normal size because I was abroad when I found out I was pregnant I got back this week to my home country and today went to a doctor I am 9 weeks today and the doctor said he cant find a heart beat and schedule a pregnancy termination for next week but after reading your stories I will hold on to some hope , who know maybe I will have a happy ending as well.
nuria
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories