Slow rising HcG ...miscarriage/Ectopic? UPDATE:BABY BORN!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Slow rising HcG ...miscarriage/Ectopic? UPDATE:BABY BORN!

Postby joolzyg » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I had routine blood tests done on 18th January 2010 as doctor wondered if i may have PCOS... Two days later i got the wonderful news that i was pregnant and as my last period was Oct 1st 09 (trouble getting regular after removal off Mirena coil in July 09 ) that i could be upto 17 weeks.

January 30th i saw midwife who had a feel and tho she couldn't hear heartbeat could hear the placenta - putting me around 12 weeks - Imagine my surprise on the Monday 1st Feb to be told by sonographer there was nothing there and it was either to early or I'd miscarried...

My hcg levels were done on the monday and were 2100, repeated on Wednesday,2 days later and had risen to 2800 - a rise, but not the double they expect..
a phonecall fom the consultant the next day said i had to come in for a laproscopy to determine an ectopic (no pain or bleeding And feel very pregnant as i did with previous pregnancies).I requested another scan and more bloods first which i had on Friday 5th Feb..
Levels had risen to 3113 and on the scan there was a gestional sac. Doctor has said due to hcg levels that this pregnancy will probably come to nothing as to be viable levels have to double every 2-3 days..
tho my thoughts are if in 4 days and only a rise of 1000 hcg i can get a sac surely there is a chance pregnancy can progress??

The plan is now that i go back on 15th Feb for another scan and more bloods...They've given me an emergency ward no in case i bleed or have pain..

Has anyone else been through this and what was the outcome? I've never had hcg levels checked before as by time i went for scan babe was already there...
Who knows maybe these levels are normal for me!

sorry to do an essay... finding the waiting game very hard and an emotional rollercoater.. just praying that pregnancy was discovered very early and it'll all be ok.... :H
Thanks for taking the time to read x
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Have they checked your progesterone levels? Sometimes, low progesterone can be indicated by slowly-rising hCG levels. If the hCG levels are low because of the low progesterone, then supplements might help. However, if the progesterone levels are low because your body is ready to miscarry, supplements will not help. (((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby joolzyg » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:51 am

update..

I went on the 15th Feb for more bloods and and u/s... hcg level had only increased to 5420 only an increase of 2307 in 10 days, the u/s showed the gestional sac had increased from 2mm to 20mm but no signs off a yolk sac or fetal pole.

The plan was to have repeat bloods done on Feb 22nd and another u/s on March 1st...

Sadly, yesterday i started spotting, up till now I've had no miscarriage symptoms only pregnancy symptoms, which i found very hard..
The emotinal rollercoaster has been awful but I'm relieved now that this ride is almost over so i can heal and try again..

mummy and daddy love you angel baby x
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Stepson 14, Stepdaughter 13.
Angel baby #1 May 01 (14wks) Angel baby #2 May 03 (8wks).
Angel baby #3 Feb 10 (7wks)
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry. Have you ended up miscarrying now?
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Slow rising HcG levels.. Possible miscarriage or Ectopic

Postby joolzyg » Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 pm

UPDATE!

After my miscarriage my first period arrived on 5th of April, I found it very hard seeing blood when I should've been pregnant..
My next period didn't arrive :)8 we got a positive on the urine test B) Now its just a waiting game, whilst we ride the rollercoater through to the second trimester :H.
Baby dust to you all, there is hope after a miscarriage x
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu May 13, 2010 6:04 pm

That is awesome news! I am so happy for you. I've even added your thread to our 'Stories of Hope' forum.

I do hope you'll update occasionally. We're here for support during miscarriage scares but we LOVE to follow the pregnancies through :)

Yay!! :P
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby joolzyg » Sat May 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Well... we're on the rollercoaster again...
On Tuesday, I went to the toilet and on wiping found dark brown blood.
I rang my midwife in the morning and within 2hours was at the early pregnancy unit at our local hospital,
I was sent in for a vaginal ultrasound and they saw gestional sac and yoke,they dated me at 5weeks when by my dates I was 7 weeks 2days..the lady said to me and my partner "not to hope as doesn't look good". I then had my hcg bloods doneand they were 25, 819 on the Wednesday and 35, 419 on Friday. the bleeding stopped on Wednesday and was never heavy..
Just waiting for the hospital to contact us as its a weekend and a bank holiday, I presume from last time they'll scan again If i don't start a miscarriage.
Please keep us in your prayers x :H
Last edited by joolzyg on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry you are going through this scare. Your hCG level rise looks really good and many women look one to two weeks behind. The good news is, of course, the baby is generally seen one week after the yolk sac is visualized. Schedule that ultrasound a week out and hopefully you get good news. (((Hugs)))
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby looby-lou82 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:49 pm

hey, i've read all ur posts and i'm going through very similar right now! i had a missed MC on 23 Feb '10. after having a slight spot bleed, we went to A&E and were given a scan which revealed baby only measured 8wks with no heartbeat, when we should of been 10wks.

Had my next period strating 26/03/10 lasting for about 3/5 days. on 25th april, being 2 days late, we did a home test which revealed we were pregnant! :)O great news!

On Mon 17th May, we went bk to A&E with abdominal pain. my hcg levels were 7343 and was booked in the following day for scan. the scan revealed an empty sack measuring 12mm (approx. 5wks). we were given app to go bk in 10days time being the 28th May. We didnt make it that far! monday 24th May i started spot bleeding. not a lot, and it was a browny colour not red or pink, so i rang the early pregnancy unit. they said if it were to get heavier or i get pain to go straight in, but if not, wait til my app on friday. tuesday came and i couldn't wait 3days to see what was going on! so we went up agen. my hcg levels had rose to 11,000 odd (don't know exact number) and scan showed the sack was still empty but measured at 15mm, so it had grown, but still no sign of anything there. Friday 28 May we were called bk for more blood tests, my hcg levels had rose to over 12,000 in 3 days and not the doubling they were suppose to do! we now have to wait until the 11 june for our next scan app. i have been spotting on/off for the past 48 hours now, so i know things aren't looking good! i'm just hoping that things will be ok.

I will keep u updated xx
looby-lou82
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Looby-Lou,
I'm so sorry you are going through this trauma and waiting game too..
I've spent hours poring over the stories on here trying to compare my situation and what the outcome wil be.. sadly from my experience in February , I know it's just a waiting game and what will be will be..
I'm still waiting to hear from the hospital as to the next steps - i know they have concerns that they couldn't see baby yet my Hcg level was 35,414..
prayers for all of us and our beloved babies xxxx
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:29 am

This site is very informative on Hcg levels and has helped calm me a little!!!

http://www.baby2see.com/preconception/hcg.html
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Well..... I've just had a wonderful phonecall from a midwife at the early pregnancy unit (not) :() Firstly she retold me my Hcg levels that I'd received Friday and then went on to say that it wasn't good as they hadn't doubled, i told her that after researching on various sites that that the info i had found suggested that once your levels reach 6000 it can take over 96 hours to double.She dismissed that and barked at me "well are you still pregnant?"
I answered if that means am i bleeding then no,nothing since the small amount last Wednesday..
The response "What about symptoms,any of those?"
By this stage i was in tears and wish I could've reached done phone and :l her! Told her i was still getting plenty of symptoms and felt pregnant, to be told "what do we do now?" ummm you're apparently the professional you tell me.... She decided I'm to go in on Friday morning for another hcg blood test (which i guess will only be informative if the level has gone down) and possibly a scan next week if I haven't miscarried.....
now feeling very low and angry, really hard remaining positive with attitudes like that!
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:35 pm

An hour after my phonecall i started getting Tummy pains, i thought this was just due to me being upset....
went to the toilet and fresh blood on wiping - more than last weeks brown blood.. pains have turned in to cramps :*(
so so so sad and feel such a failure.... this was pretty much my last chance and have that grief to deal with too.
Thank you to everyone who has added me to their prayers xx
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby looby-lou82 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 am

joolz so sorry to hear that things aren't good yet. your certainly not a failure though!

I have been bleeding lightly (spotting) onw since friday night. its now wednesday! no clots or tissue and no cramping, but i'm not holding onto too much hope. we have very similar stories including time wise too. last tues my hcg levels were over 11,000 and last friday there were over 12,000. although like everybody says on here, everyone is different. i have 2 boys but have never had any prob's with them or had my hcg monitored, so it could be they're just slow rising. not everybody is text book!! i have to go bk on Friday 11 june, which is 9 days away, i presume this is to see if i've miscarried by then. the consultant wasn't sure what was going on by my results, so hasn't diagnosed anything, but i have almost diagnosed myself as having a miscarriage. Its just a waiting game now, which is definately the worst part!!

I am sorry to hear things aren't looking good for you, i don't want to give you false hope, but i have many stories on here, trying to compare my situation to other's, and even ladies who seem to have the odd's against them seem to pull through and are happily pregnant. i have prepared myself for the worst, i am no fool, but i do have a little hope. only based from what ppl have written on here.

As they say, its not over until the fat lady sings! its a saying in the UK, as i guess most ladies on here are from USA

Keep us updated though, i will keep u updated on me too xxxxxx
looby-lou82
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 am

Hi Looby Lou
Bleeding had stopped again by the morning ..nothing...my partner being hopeful
but after last time I'm struggling to do that..having another hcg done tomorrow,which will only be informative If its dropped as then I'll
know the probable outcome.
How are you getting on? your appointment seems ages away and the waiting is so so hard :(
Where in the UK are you? I'm in Suffolk.. Julie x
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Well todays hcg level was 65,794 a rise of 30,500 in 6 days...
Didn't think I'd be disappointed with a rise like that but as tho hospital keeps telling me.
IT'S NOT DOUBLING! Aaaarrrghhh!
Plan is now to have a scan next week if I haven't miscarried by then....
Please add us to your prayers xxx
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:08 am

Really didn't think I'd be disappointed with a rise of 30,000 but as the hospital keeps telling me it hasn't doubled!!!
When i look back to what my levels were doing in February, when they rose only a few hundred at a time, i struggle to get my head around it all.... I said to the midwife that I'm getting strong symtoms she said "well you will with that amount of hormones in your body"...

Plan is now to have a scan next week to see whats going on in there.... Currently awaiting phonecall to tell me when it is...
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby joolzyg » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:33 am

After speaking to a lovely midwife this morning she decided to bring me in for a scan..
And they found a HEARTBEAT! B)
Dated me a week behind but there's a little beanie in there :)8
Just to get through the next few weeks now! X
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Okay, I know I already told you but I am just so happy for you!!!

I know I hear from women in the UK that it is not always easy to change healthcare providers but I do hope you can lose this midwife...ugh! I think the stress she caused you was simply inexcusable.

and let me just say again... :)8 :P :)8
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby joolzyg » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:22 pm

All still going well at the moment, no more bleeding or cramps.Still have very painful boobs and feeling very sick - feel thats a good omen! :)
Next step is scan, couple of weeks to go - hopefully I'll relax then and start to enjoy this pregnancy!
Me 39, Partner 42
Daughter 18, Son 13
Baby due Jan 10th 2011
joolzyg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories