The hardest 2 weeks......

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

The hardest 2 weeks......

Postby Myownadvocate » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:28 pm

As I write this, I can feel my anguish and unnecessary anxiety returning to me all over again. I am going to write this post in as much medical detail as possible. This is my story.........

So my LMP was 05/08 and I was one day late when I decided to take a HPT and it was positive on 06/05. I was scheduled to see my OB for a 6 month f/u appt that day anyway. Beta HCG was 15. A repeat beta was ordered three days later and revealed 76. My husband and I were very excited about this pregnancy because it was a suprise. I just had a baby 6 months ago and I gave birth to a healthy and beautiful son. We were just thrilled. My husband is a radiologist and we decided to get and US a week and half later. All you could see was a gest. sac and the pregnancy was to early to measure.

On 06/19 I had spotting and went to the ER. I had a beta 3232 and had another US. This time there was a gestational sac and a yolk sac measuring 2mm. I went to my first OB appt that Mon 06/22 and told my MD what had happened. He ordered another US. At this US the sonographer informed with the vaginal probe still inserted that she couldn't see anything and that I had probably miscarried or it is blighted ovum. I started to sweat profusely and started to sob harder than I have ever sobbed before. I immediately asked to see my doctor. I got dressed wheeled my 6 month old back to the docs office which was down the hall. I don't know how I was functioning. I must have been functioning on autopilot. My MD came and read the US report ( he never came in the US room or say the images for himself) and said that he was sorry that MC are common and occur at a rate of 20%. He said it was a blighted ovum and that there never was a baby, so I shouldn't take it as hard. He also said that "Wasn't this a suprise?".......needless to say I was in a state of shock. He then proceeded to tell me my options. He said I could have a DNC in two days or I could wait a week and have US with my husband and schedule and DNC later that week. I left the office with my 6 month old.... it was surreal. I immediately called my husband and family. Thank God for them.

That week we all mourned the loss of our child. I did not sleep or eat. It was difficult to care for my exhisting child because I was consumed with grief. All I could think of is how much I wanted and loved this child. As the shock dissipated my husband and I, both medical professionals started discussing our options. I didn't want to go to the internet for information, but I did, because I feel that knowledge is power. I stumbled over this site and I feel like it gave me a hope that sustained me over some rough times. We decided to do another US . I was crying and the beginning of the scan. Low and behold we had an increasing gestational sac and a yolk sac of 4mm. Again still to small to size. The previous scan supposidly did not reveal a yolk sac. I got a beta done that day 7722. I decided to call my OB office because I wanted a copy of the scan so my husband could review it. I had the opportunity to speak to one of the docs of the practice. I asked her to review the scan with me and she was very wishy washy and said that if this was a viable pregnancy it would be a miracle. She states that the sonographer did not see a yolk sac.

I asked for another beta level that Fri 06/26 11,332 and a progesterone level of 11.2 I called the docs office and got the oncall doc. I asked if he could put me on prometrium. He did. By this point I had become my own advocate and I felt that the docs office had viewed me as " the poor crazy woman who can't just accept her situation."

I waited exactly six days from my last US and had another US with my husband and when they placed the vaginal probe in me, there it was.... the most beautiful heartbeat ever...... it was gest sac of 9mm yolk 5mm and fetal pole with cardiac activity. My husband and I were thrilled ,elated and relieved. We had just ridden the rollercoaster that many woman have had to ride........unnecessarily. I called my OBs office and had the frontdesk tell him that my blighted ovum had a heartbeat. Needless to say they were shocked. I had beta drawn the next day revealing 17,222. The baby measured 6.5 weks when I should have been 8.5 weeks according to my LMP.

So here is what I can extract from my ordeal and hopefully help another woman going through this waiting period. First off, your body is not a machine and it is normal for some people not to double their betas every 48hr. Some people take up to 96hs. Don't look into the numbers to much or you will go crazy. Second, a DNC is a procedure that should not be tried unless we are all sure that the pregnancy is nonviable. I could not have gone through the procedure with the thought nagging that maybe the preg. was viable. Third, do your homework and make your doctor answer all of your questions and if they can't you are entitled to a second opinion.

I have seen my OB since and we had a heart to hear and he said everything I expected he should say in this situation. He was sorry and embarressed. I am staying with him because he brought my son into the world via c-section. One thing that has been difficult has been reinvesting emotionally into this pregnancy. This child deserves me to be happy and excited for his/her arrival . This child is truly a gift from God.
Myownadvocate
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 am

I am so sorry for all that you have been through...but elated to hear that all is well. Please continue to keep us posted on the progression of your pregnancy!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Amazing story and I am so glad you shared it with us. Please, update us every now and again on you.

Congratulations!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby AshleyAE » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:10 pm

Congratulations! Sorry the doctors put you through that.
AshleyAE
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories