My Dr said blighted ovum, NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My Dr said blighted ovum, NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Postby ryann » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:39 pm

Well first let me start by saying im currently 11 weeks pregnant! I had my last period on march 17th, and it lasted about 5 days. My periods are not normal and do not run every 28 days, they run about every 40 days. By the end of April i started to feel sick, hungry and grumpy. Threedays before the end of the month, i decided to take a pregnancy test (and mind you that i have taken them before because my period run so late) so to my very schocked suprise i was very pregnant!! I mad a dr apt May 1st, i went in i peed in a cup, i was pregnant, the dr did an internal exam and said i felt large maybe about 81/2 9 weeks pregnant. She asked me if their was anyway i could have gotten pregnant before my last period, i said i didnt think so. She said she thought i was two months and in my mind i kept thinking thats not possible, i mean it was possible but i got the normal period . So four days later i went in for my ultrasound with my fiancee, super excited to see our baby. They did an internal ultrasound, and we saw the sack, but we didn't see anything inside the sack. The ultrasound tech did not say much, and my fiancee and i looked at one another with an understanding something was not right. The dr met us in the rm after and said we would like to see some sort of growth inside . She said my HCG levels were seventeen hundred, and their should be some kind of growth, she told me it could go either way, maybe a blighted ovum or we will see something, she said in about a week i should miscarry. So the wait was on, i waited everyday, only to find myself vomiting, my boobs ginormous and sleepy continuously. I went back in for more bloodwork, still very upset and dazed not understanding why i wasnt miscarrying and why i felt more pregnant then i did a few weeks earlier. Finally i got a phone call from them saying my hcg had tripled and they wanted to do another ultrasound, i wasn't quit sure what they were saying, i figured they wanted to make sure it was still the same and maybe i needed a DNC because i wasnt aborting naturally. So i went in, not believing i would see anything, but started praying everyday until the ultrasound. I lay down and i say to the tech, "what are we looking for?" Her response was "to make sure everything is okay with your baby" i said "there is no baby" she laughed and said "we will deff see this baby". I was stunned and my life changed, sure enough i had an 81/2 week old baby inside me with a heartbeat of 170!! It was so beautiful and he/she was moving. I just stared and said its a miracle, and this baby is. The dr told me in 15 yrs shes never seen anything like this. She said it is so rare, my due date is about 1 wk off from the first visit! So maybe it was a conception mistake or a progesterone lapse, but whatever it was it was not a blighted ovum. There was always a baby, just shy or slow growing, but dont ever do a DNC unless that hcg has dropped to unthinkable levels, keep hope, keep faith, and pray pray pray.

Stephanie
ryann
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:12 am

Not rare at all. We see this happen quite a bit.

Congratulations!
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare: http://www.squidoo.com/misdiagnosedblightedovum
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks: http://www.squidoo.com/firstmisdiagnosedmiscarriage

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages: http://misdiagnosedmiscarriagemusings.blogspot.com/

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: http://www.squidoo.com/IVFMisdiagnosedMiscarriage

and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest:
http://www.squidoo.com/blighted-ovum-nine-weeks

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby motherof2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:35 am

That's wonderful. Congrats on the baby.
Linda and Jim
Healthy baby boy 2/09/02
Healthy baby boy 3/23/04
Two angel babies 1/02/08 D&C
Healthy baby girl 3/12/09
motherof2
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:31 am

I am glad that they did not try to push you into having a DnC...pregnancies that early as so very difficult to predict what will happen. I am so very happy for you that all is well!!!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mattandtresa » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 am

This is such a wonderful story. It gives me hope knowing that someone else is going through this as well and has a success story to share. I am so excited for you. Congrats!
Tresa 29
DH 31
Angel Baby ~ 12/08 (D&E)
Angel Baby ~ 11/09 (Natural m/c)
mattandtresa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories