Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

What's a blighted ovum?

Postby AnnaB. » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:36 pm

I had never heard of a blighted ovum before my first ultrasound, but let me give you some background info.

My husband and I had unsuccessfully been trying for a little one for over a year. I had been to various doctors that told me not to worry, nothing was wrong with me even with a history of ovarian cysts, chin hair that sprang out of nowhere and weight gain that I couldn't seem to shake. Finally I went to an endocrinologist that diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. He prescribed spironolactone and metformin and cautioned me to not get pregnant.
At that time I agreed. I wanted to get my body straightened out before we started trying again. I was on the meds for about a month when I discontinued. Not really sure why, had lost about 15lbs but I think they were causing nausea.

Imagine my surprise when about a month later I had some weird spotting. That had never happened before. Knowing nothing of implantation bleeding, I called my mom where she promptly told me to not get my hopes up. The next week I took a hpt but it was faulty. Neither line showed up. The following day (October 15th) hpt showed positive!!
Made appt at OB the following day, yep I'm pregnant with hCg of 206. Appointment was scheduled for November 10th.

Following week went in for additional hcg and tested at 1042. When nurse called to give results she expressed concern over numbers (even though they had quadrupled in 4 days) and with earlier spotting and asked me to come in earlier for US.
Ultrasound on October 27 showed empty sack. No yolk, no pole, no heartbeat.
I felt as if someone had stabbed me. Hubby was with me at time and asked US tech what that meant. She told him that she would have expected to see heartbeat by now, and since she didn't even see baby, that this probably wasn't a viable pregnancy, in other words, a blighted ovum. She sent us to the waiting room so we could speak with OB and I grabbed my phone. Googled Blighted Ovum and came upon this site.
Dr expressed concern with empty sack and ordered additional bloodwork. Told us if there was any bleeding to go to ER, but she didn't want to order d&c until following week after another ultrasound.
At this point I was sent home and stayed in bed because I was afraid I would start to bleed and wanted to delay what I felt was the inevitable.
The following days I spent sleeping, crying and reading this website. I had convinced myself I no longer felt pregnant, but I still had just the faintest touch of hope.
October 30th received phone call from nurse telling me hcg was now over 13,000. I now knew that meant I should have seen at least SOMEthing on the US, but the nurse told me it seemed promising. They had scheduled a follow-up scan for a week from my first, but the morning of, I called and cancelled. I decided to keep my original date of November 10th.

The day of my second ultrasound I prepared myself for the worst. In the previous days I had become angrier and angrier with the tech because I felt she never should have worried me.
Great, after signing in, I'm shown back to the US room and it's HER again. The first thing I asked her when she inserted the wand was whether or not I had a tilted uterus. She quickly said no, then said that it wouldn't matter if I had.
Seconds later, there was my baby with heartbeat!!!

I couldn't believe it. I started shaking and crying, saying "Is that my baby?"
They told me I measured 2 weeks earlier than originally thought (I have my doubts about that) and pushed my due date back, scheduled follow-ups, and that was that.
Nobody could answer why no baby had been seen with hcg over 13,000. No one apologised for my 2 weeks of hell. They just simply told me "that happens sometimes."

Last week I had an appointment for sonogram to hear baby's heartbeat. Of course, we couldn't and I almost had a heart attack. I was completely confused because I had started to feel movement (at 13 weeks? I told you I had to be further along!) and my nausea was getting worse, not better.
So we had US #3 (different tech, thank God) and lo and behold, there is our perfect little baby with a heartbeat of 154bpm! She (I think) was doing flips, turns, and scrunching up those little legs! She just didn't want to be found! Even the tech couldn't believe how active the baby was.
Hubby and I saw the spine, heard the heartbeat and cried and cried. We even got a closeup of that precious little face, complete with a cute little button nose and 2 very full lips!

Please, please, please don't give up hope! If I had gone for second scan and still not seen baby, I am sure they would have pressed me for d&c. The way I felt, I might have considered it.

Thank you so much for this site. Even when I couldn't read or think about it anymore, my husband continued to read this site and keep encouraging me.
AnnaB.
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Anna, thank you for sharing your story. I know I get so worked up that nurses, techs and even doctors do this to women. How hard would it be for them to just say that it is still a bit early, come back in two weeks for another ultrasound. Instead, they cause so many women to panic.

You know, you mentioned using your cell phone to google 'Blighted Ovum'. More and more women have told me they found this on their cells. I think I'm going to work on making this board (or at the very least, this forum) a bit more cell phone friendly.

Please, don't forget to give us an occasional update on you (and your little one!)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Thank you!

Postby hopefulnow » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:37 pm

This website has helped me to realize that there may be hope. I will continue praying for a miracle for my baby!! Thank you!
hopefulnow
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby AnnaB. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 am

Just wanted to say that I had my 18 week check-up today, and all is well in babyworld!
Dr said everything is going great! If it weren't for this site I might have lost my mind. Thank you so much Kay, for giving scared women a place to vent their fears and look for hope!
This web site is fairly accessable from phone (doing it now) with certain platforms (Opera mini, Opera, Skyfire, and Safari) but I think it would be awesome to update it for people with older phones or those that aren't "smartphones."
Good luck, and I'll continue to update you guys!
AnnaB.
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Marussia » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:52 am

Anna, I am so happy for your! Best of luck to you and your miracle baby! :)
m/c January 23, 2009
m/c August 9, 2009
Marussia
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories