Irregular gestational sac @ 5w2d, Doc gave 50/50 chance

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Irregular gestational sac @ 5w2d, Doc gave 50/50 chance

Postby alsoknownas0 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello! I have been waiting so long to post here. I have had two missed miscarriages and both times during the waiting period between ultrasounds I read through many of the stories here. Unfortunately, in those two cases I really did miscarry and had to have D&Cs.

After both miscarriages it took a long time to get pregnant again. After the second one, we also started looking into adoption and pursued more aggressive fertility treatments. 8 months after the second miscarriage, we got pregnant using injectible medication to produce 3 follicles and a trigger shot to be sure they all released - I was heavily monitored and charting, so I knew I couldn't have Od more than a day or two early/late. I also started Metformin for PCOS, which the doc thought was the reason for my trouble getting pregnant and miscarriages.

Anyway...getting to this pregnancy. My doc wanted me to come in at 5w2d for my first ultrasound. I know this is really really early, but I assumed he was just checking to find out how many babies there were (since I ovulated from 3 follicles) and to be sure the pregnancy wasn't ectopic. The ultrasound tech did the ultrasound and said the gestational sac was measuring 5w1d (pretty close) and it was a little hard to find the fetal pole but she thought she saw it - just too soon to be measured or for a HB.

The nurse was a little concerned about not seeing a fetal pole on the images, so she got the doc. He took a long time looking at them, then finally called us in and told us that he thought this might be another miscarriage. He said that since the gestational sac was irregularly shaped and he couldn't see a yolk sac or fetal pole, it wasn't looking good. He told us, "I'm not saying that you will definitely miscarry. I'm not saying like 90% or even 80%. I'm saying...maybe 50/50. But...I've been wrong before. I just didn't want you to go home and not know the truth."

We spent the next week devastated. To us, having experienced two missed miscarriages in the past (without ever having a successful pregnancy), 50/50 sounded like a 90% chance of miscarriage.

This week, at 6w2d, we went in for another ultrasound. I have never had a good ultrasound during pregnancy, by the way. I didn't want to look at the screen but I couldn't help myself. As soon as the image appeared, I knew there was a regularly-shaped gestational sac, and I could see my baby! The yolk sac was clearly visible as well. The ultrasound tech measured the fetal pole and said the age was 6w2d - perfect! She also found a strong heartbeat! She said that everything looks perfect. The nurse and doc agreed! We started crying and explained that we have never seen a heartbeat before.

I want to thank you for creating this site to give hope to women who are not given much hope by their healthcare professionals. With God, all things are possible.
alsoknownas0
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Congratulations!!! I wish that doctor and nurse had not scared you. For pete's sake, many women have empty sacs that early. They should have said nothing and just scheduled a repeat ultrasound a couple weeks out. I'm sorry you had to go through that unnecessary worry.

Please, keep us updated on your pregnancy! I pray you just have a very uneventful and peaceful one...you deserve it!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby kitkat041084 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Congratulations, It is so nice to hear happy stories. Hopefully we will all have things like this to share!
kitkat041084
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby babyno2pls » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:14 am

Your story gave me hope! I had my US yesterday and 5w1d it's very early and like you we just wanted to see how many we have but my gestational sac was not round shape my tech said that she wanted it to be a bit rounder and is very concerned. Doctor went and saw us and told us that I might miscarry because of this irregular shape. I'm rather disappointed to hear and again I'm only 5w1d how can he make that conclusion.... I have my another ultrasound on my 6w5d and I pray to God that I have the same result as yours.

I hope you are still around to update? have you had your baby yet? Congratulations!
babyno2pls
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby scaredfrommidwest » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Hey there... I want to let you know that my friend's sister had an irregular shaped sac early on... they told her she might miscarry... but she's about 22 weeks pregnant now and everything going well. I hope you have a successful pregnancy!
scaredfrommidwest
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby gretal630 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:19 pm

PRAISE GOD...... :)8 B) :)O<
gretal630
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories