6weeks and 1day blighted ovum

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

6weeks and 1day blighted ovum

Postby katherineblt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:13 pm

I don't know where to begin, but today was the saddest day in my life. I am 27 years old this is my first pregnancy. When I found out I was pregnant both my husband and I were very happy. Last week when I went on my first ultrasound, the technician said I was only 6 weeks and 1 day and that she see a heartbeat, but couldn't detect/hear it. The doctor rescheduled me for a second ultrasound 1 week later, which is today. My heart broke into pieces and torned apart today when the technician told me she couldn't detect my baby's heartbeat or couldn't see any growth. She said the baby still showing at 6weeks and 1day and there was no heartbeat. The only thing got bigger was the yolk sac. I'm so devastated to hear this news because my husband and I both wanted this baby badly. We already announced to our family and friends. I am not sure if the technician is correct about the diagnosed or not, but the doctor came in and told me that it could have been an "blighted ovum" which is abnormal of a chromosome or genetic problem that my baby isn't growing. She guided me to my option if I want to a D&C or just wait it out. I can't believe this could happen to me since it's my first pregnancy. I don't have any cramping, no bleeding, no nothing whatsoever. I still have my pregnancy symptoms such as, sore breasts, craving, and regular bathroom usage. Could this be a misdiagnosed or maybe I may have a retroverted uterus. The technician did my ultrasound no more than 5 minutes and told me that she couldn't detect a heartbeat. I felt like she didn't even try. I have decided to wait it out because I still don't believe the news. If it is a miscarriage then thing happen for a reason, but I will not abort my baby until i see signs of miscarriage. For the last two hours I been reading story after story on this website just to find some comfort and hope that my baby is alive and still with me. But unfortunately I'm still mourning over the news I got at the doctor's office.

I would like to share my first ultrasound with all of the women who had been through what I have. See if the ultrasound is truly an "blighted ovum."

http://www.imeem.com/people/x22NTd-/video/BVT43Lcb/katherine_bryan_1st_ultrasound_movies_video/
katherineblt
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Blighted ovum

Postby jillain » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:59 pm

A blighted ovum is an empty gestational sac. I watched your sono and it's definately not empty. I too am going through some hard times with my pregnancy and this site really gives alot of hope so keep reading the incredible stories! Good luck!!!
jillain
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby katherineblt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Yes, that is correct. That is why I am so confused why my doctor had diagnosed me with "blighted ovum" when I can actually see my baby. She also stated that from the last ultrasound to the second there was no growth. Everything was the same besides the yolk sac was bigger. All I can do now is hang in there and wait it out.
katherineblt
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories