My misdiagnosed Blighten ovum

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My misdiagnosed Blighten ovum

Postby eproosow » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi,
My husband and I have been trying to get preg. for over a year. We finally got a positive preg test around Aug. 21st. The doctor ordered 2 HCG tests for me and I took the first one on 8/25/08. The doctor called me the very next day and told me to come in ASAP. I dropped everything and went in as soon as I could. When I made it to his office he told me that the HCG levels were way too high (11000) and that he thought there was a problem. He did a u/s and did not see a fetus, he said I had blighted ovum. He said I had to have a D&C today. I was so shocked I felt like my world was crashing down. I couldn't walk or talk, I didn't know what to say, and I just started crying. My husband told him no we were not going to have a D&C and we were just going to let it happen on its own. We left and for the next 24 hours I just laid in bed and cried. I felt like I was just waiting for death sentence for my baby. I started to surf the web on my laptop and saw this website. On the 28th I thought that I should just go and do my last HCG anyway. I called the doctors office the next day to get the results to my surprise my numbers jumped to 29,000. The nurse said that the numbers show that it is a healthy preg. and that maybe I should come back in for another u/s. When I herd that I just started crying, could I be pregnant? Is there a healthy fetus? the nurse made an appt with a different doctor. The doctor did another u/s and again, he didn't see anything, he said that I need a D&C and I am only prolonging the inevitable. I voiced my concerns about what the nurse said and my numbers are doubling. I left feeling empty inside. I was completely emotionally drained. I was numb. I went home to wait for "the inevitable"; I have never cried so much in the last week. That night I started cramping really bad, I was in tears. I thought here it comes. The cramping lasted most of the night but there was no bleeding. Again on the Sept. 3rd. but still no bleeding. We thought the doctors must be wrong! I went to see another doctor on 9/5/08. That doctor did another u/s and to our surprise, we saw a baby with a very strong heart beat!!! I just started crying then she started crying and we were both crying for 15 min.. She gave me 7 u/s pictures. I went straight to my husband's work and with out saying a word I just gave him the pictures. He just dropped to the floor and started crying.

Please don't listen to the doctors, follow your gut! If a missciarge is meant to be it will happen on its own you do not need a D&C. Get another opinion; get more if you need it.

I just hope that my story helps others.
eproosow
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby girlathome » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:26 pm

I LOVE your story.

God bless your baby for hanging in there (and you too)!
girlathome
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Your story brings tears to my eyes. I hope you let those first two doctors know they were wrong. I can pretty much bet you are not the first woman they've done this too but maybe if you say something, they won't do it again (at least I can hope).

Please, keep us updated on you and that pregnancy of yours.

Oh, and

CONGRATS!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Dlee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:39 am

Oh wow, what a beautiful story ;)

Thanks for sharing it. You will have given so many women renewed hope to get through those awful weeks, as you have just endured.

x
Dlee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby jbird176 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm

thank you so much for sharing your story.
i am going through a very similar situation right now.
i just found this site today and for the first time in two weeks i am feeling not so confused and alone.
it helps me to understand that no matter what the outcome is,
it is okay for me to feel sad and yet glean some sort of hope and happiness from stories like yours.
thanks so much for sharing and congratulations on your wonderful news!!
best wishes.
jbird176
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

way to go!

Postby AstronomyMama2B » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Kudos for sticking to your guns.

You're right, why rush to a D&C or to take drugs to end a pregnancy when there might be a chance? Either they're wrong (and you've got a viable pregnancy) or they're right (and you're going to miscarry anyway).

I don't know why these doctors pressured you so much, what a nightmare.

Well, I hope you've got a good doctor identified now, sounds like the first few were duds!
AstronomyMama2B
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

**** update***

Postby eproosow » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:43 pm

I want to give an update, My son was born on 4/13/09. He is very healthy. FOLLOW YOUR HEART, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE DOCTORS IF YOU THINK THEY ARE WRONG!!!
eproosow
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby AstronomyMama2B » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:00 am

CONGRATULATIONS CONGRATULATIONS. :)

Hey, thanks for the update!! It had been a while.

Well, again, kudos to you for sticking to your guns. Sometimes doctors aren't really always acting in our best interest, unfortunately, and sometimes they aren't thinking, apparently!
Ann (34), DH (also 34)

* m/c on Feb 16, 2008
* m/c on March 7, 2009
AstronomyMama2B
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby AstronomyMama2B » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:02 am

By the way, I'm due on 4/15/10

:)

We've got the "tax day zone" in common here.

:)
Ann (34), DH (also 34)

* m/c on Feb 16, 2008
* m/c on March 7, 2009
AstronomyMama2B
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Ann, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)8 :P :)8

Thank you so much for updating and congrats on that little guy of yours!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby amorecappa » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. *crying* I hope our story turns out as wonderful as yours. E>
Diagnosed with Incompetent Cervix
PCOS-Metformin 500 daily x 2
Heavenly son Ian 04/14/2005
Earthly son Nathan 05/08/2006
Currently pregnant, hopefully will stay that way!
amorecappa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby laylamummy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:38 pm

how far gone where you in your u/s cause i had one at 8 weeks and they cudnt see a baby and im soo hoping when i go they can next time :(
im 20 years old with a 6 month old daughter who is my world !!!
laylamummy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: My misdiagnosed Blighten ovum

Postby princess » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:36 pm

your story ready made me cry ..i am in the same boat as well.
my last mestrual date was 07/21/2010..i had my first visit on 14th september ..they did and ultrasound and said the gestational sac is small and empty and not matching up with ur dates..the dates look off to the doctor and i know for sure that i ovulated on 08/10/2010 that is 21st day of my cyle ...they did a hcglevel test and found out its 14000 on first days and after two days they were 17,000 and my progesterone were only 12.5 so prescribe me a progesterone supppository 200 mg ..then i had my 2nd u/s on 24th september they still couldnt find any yolk sac,fetal pole or heat beat anfd still the baby looks only 5.2 weeks and i forgot to mention on my first ultrasound they told me the gestational sac looks 4.4 weeks old it should be 7 weeks acc to the lmp ...the doctor force me to have a d&C or allow the nature to take its course ..i said i will wait for 10 days more ..they again did a quant test for hcg and prog levels test..it wll be back tomoro so the test came the hcg was 28,000 and the progesterone riased upto 17 and i will going for another VU on 5th of october ...please remember me in your prayers that we see something in there...lets see how much they rise....why is this happening to me ..anyone with the same story???? Plz help ???????????????
princess
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby adele » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Dear epro although u havnt poste for a while congrats your story made me :*( i juz wonder were some dr buy their dagree or license coz it makes me :() thinking how many women was given a D&C for the wrong reasons :*( wish i had a mid wife but here in RSA i dnt think we have those lol
adele
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MrsCK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Aww wow I'm so happy for you and congratulations for growing a healthy little boy.
I'm so glad you stuck with your gut feeling and didnt' listen to the doctors.

It drives me :() that there are doctors out there who are supposed to know better (i.e. that certain factors can cause a baby to be visible later, even a day or 2 miscalculated can be the difference between seeing a fetal pole or a heartbeat. And they should know that and tell the worrying parents that. How is it that more mommies with experience know this and the trained & experienced doctors doesnt?

SOrry... my mini-rant is over.

Congrats!!! E>
MrsCK
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby cutedame » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:52 am

Hi there..am new to the board...came here after finding out I was 5 weeks pregnant after passing out on the freeway from hypoglycemia..then seeing the heartbeat at 7 weeks..then at 8 weeks being told there was no heartbeat and to have a D&C and then this week going to another dr and seeing the heartbeat again! What a roller coaster ride...not out of the woods..having HCG checked...but am praying my lil blueberry will survive...mama has had a lot of emotional crap as of late!

Great to read a story that turned out positive..thanks so much!!!

Much love and light,
MaryJo
cutedame
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby wendyheg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:31 am

princess wrote:your story ready made me cry ..i am in the same boat as well.
my last mestrual date was 07/21/2010..i had my first visit on 14th september ..they did and ultrasound and said the gestational sac is small and empty and not matching up with ur dates..the dates look off to the doctor and i know for sure that i ovulated on 08/10/2010 that is 21st day of my cyle ...they did a hcglevel test and found out its 14000 on first days and after two days they were 17,000 and my progesterone were only 12.5 so prescribe me a progesterone supppository 200 mg ..then i had my 2nd u/s on 24th september they still couldnt find any yolk sac,fetal pole or heat beat anfd still the baby looks only 5.2 weeks and i forgot to mention on my first ultrasound they told me the gestational sac looks 4.4 weeks old it should be 7 weeks acc to the lmp ...the doctor force me to have a d&C or allow the nature to take its course ..i said i will wait for 10 days more ..they again did a quant test for hcg and prog levels test..it wll be back tomoro so the test came the hcg was 28,000 and the progesterone riased upto 17 and i will going for another VU on 5th of october ...please remember me in your prayers that we see something in there...lets see how much they rise....why is this happening to me ..anyone with the same story???? Plz help ???????????????

anymore news? i am going threw same thing..
wendyheg
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Hlali1977 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Wow! Beautiful story
Hlali1977
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories