Yolk sac, no fetal pole 10 weeks--HCG?

Yolk sac, no fetal pole 10 weeks--HCG?

Postby zeo2ski » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Reading some on this site, I've decided to have hope rather than mourn just yet. I do understand my chances are not good, but mentally I'm just going to wait to see it happen, so I thank you all for that.

I went in yesterday for a dating u/s, should have been 10w5d by LMP, but my cycle has always been a little irregular and long, 33-38 days. This time around (my 7th child) I got my cycle back about 13 months post partum and had I think 4 cycles which were all 39 days. So I expected they might bump me back by a week or two. Instead, they didn't see any fetal pole or heartbeat, just a gestational sac and yolk sac all in the proper place. The tech and then OB both said you could just be earlier than you think, but I got a BFP on a cheap test (not early test) on CD 35 (and BFN a week before that, CD 28) which was 5w5d before the u/s. I appreciate that the OB explained we don't know anything yet, but to be prepared this is likely a miscarriage. I do have a tilted uterus. The u/s was abdominal, then switched to internal.

They took blood after the u/s for HCG, that was yesterday, Monday, and I go back Thursday and they are looking to see if it doubles. OB said if it only rises some (less than doubling) or is going down then we know it's a miscarriage. My question is, *IF* I were actually 9-10.5 weeks, isn't that a little late to be expecting doubling? I remember vaguely that the placenta takes over around 10 weeks. I need to be prepared for how to interpret the number when it comes. Until reading here, I thought if it was dropping it was definite, but I was skeptical that it would continue to double throughout the whole pregnancy, so I wondered how long it does, thinking maybe just during 1st trimester.

My other question is, since there is a yolk sac, this in not a blighted ovum, correct? In that case, if it is true that there is no fetal pole, wouldn't that mean the pregnancy ended some time ago--don't they expect to see fetal pole by 5-6 weeks? If that's the case, it has already been a few weeks since then, how much longer would I expect to wait for natural miscarriage? I've had zero m/c symptoms. My pregnancy symptoms are all still here.

I would not do D&C or the meds anyway. If my HCG doubles, they'll do another u/s 10 days from the first. They didn't say what the plan would be if it doesn't, they were good to not diagnose anything yet, but I do believe they are going to diagnose based on the HCG.
zeo2ski
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Yolk sac, no fetal pole 10 weeks--HCG?

Postby Kay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:38 pm

I see this was a week ago? Do you have an update? Really, time is the only true test in this case. Hopefully you have your answer now. (((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - All Other Issues