HCG numbers rise - Ultrasound shows empty uterus

HCG numbers rise - Ultrasound shows empty uterus

Postby reallyconfused » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi everyone, I have been sitting here reading all of the posts hoping someone would have a similar experience. Here is a quick overview of what I am going through... found out I was pregnant 2 weeks ago. I had some bleeding initially that lasted 4 days. It showed very light on the pad but heavy when I wiped. I did notice a clot at one point when I used the washroom. I was told that I most likely miscarried by the doctor. He sent me in for an HCG test the numbers came back at about 590 repeated the test 2 days later and it had doubled. He then sent me for an ultrasound which showed a gestational sac measuring 4 weeks. The next day he called me to say that my HCG numbers had declined by 200 and asked me if there was anymore bleeding, I said no that it had stopped 4 days earlier. He suggested that I should be booked in for a D&C. I was devistated. I told him I wanted another blood test done first, he hesitated and explained that it may cause further anxiety for me, but agreed. It doubled once again! He called me in and explained his theory that I may have lost a twin. I was completely shocked by this! He did an exam and my cervix was still closed. 2 days later (yesterday) I went for another ultrasound Transvaginal to a different clnic from the first one that showed a 4 week sac (I thought I should be about 5 and a half weeks) and the ultrasound is showing an empty uterus! the tech said I must have had a complete miscarriage... My question is, how can I have miscarried from the last ultrasound showing a gestational sac exactly one week ago with no bleeding since the week earlier, a closed cervix and HCG levels that did decrease at one point but doubled again??? I still feel pregnant, going to the washroom constantly, sore nipples. This is my 4th pregnancy. I have 3 healthy amazing boys - which I had no bleeding or ANY complications during pregnancy with them. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this situation? Any insight would be great. I am so emotionally distraught right now! I am obsessed with google and search engines - trying to make sence of whats happening to me. Should I trust the last ultrasound's findings? I am probably just grasping at straws but none of this makes any sence. How can someone miscarry and still have elevated HCG levels? my last one came back on Thursday at 1700.
reallyconfused
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lovinmom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:28 pm

I just wrote you a long post and lost it - ugh...

I am so sorry that you are going through this difficult time. I know it is just horrible to get through. There is a possibility that you miscarried a twin. There is also the possibility that you miscarried and then conceived shortly afterwards and that explains the low hcg levels. Some women have miscarried without even knowing it. The tissue dissolves and then they later have a heavier period. The best thing to do here is to continue to have your hcg levels monitored and have some ultrasounds every one to two weeks to see what is going on. You were so early when you were first diagnosed. I think a D&C at 4 wks is just horrible! In the first trimester there are so many variables that can affect diagnosis. That is why it is wise to test out what is going on. As long as there is no fever or hemorrage, you can even have a natural miscarriage if that is what is going on. Hcg levels are not always accurate indicators of what is going on although they can signal problems. Another thing, what was the mhz of the u/s machine, skill of the tech, position of the uterus, age of the machine? These are all things that can affect u/s readings. My husband had a u/s done on his kidney. The tech couldn't find his kidney. It turned out that she used too high of a mhz to find it! The tech used a 12 mhz and should have used a 3.5 mhz. Different levels are used to find different organs depending upon their location. How much more so with a little embryo!

I hope that you get some definite answers. Let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
Lovinmom E>
3 angel babies in Christ's loving arms/ one possible misdiagnosis
47 yr. mom to boy twins 5 yrs., dd 18 yr. and 9 yr. Baby Michael Josiah born 6/23/08
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
Lovinmom

Postby stefanie8829 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 am

Any update on you? I would NOT give up yet. Do not get a D&C until you are comfortable!
stefanie8829
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby summer70 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Don't give up yet. Your scenario sounds exactly like how it did with my daughter. I almost have anxiety attacks thinking of how I almost consented to a d&c too soon. She is 11 now.
summer70
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby defibl » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:34 am

Dont go by those stupic HCG levels! Use your instinct to guide you. I am only @ 4-5 weeks and they are INSISTING that because my levels havent doubled that there is no normal pregnancy. They offered my D & C on Fri and I declined, and will continue until the proof is there. Good luck. You will be in my thoughts!
defibl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby defibl » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 pm

Good news! They found my yolk sac today. Boy it was nice to see! Now they are saying what progress I am making, that everything looks great. Just 2 days ago they were selling me down the D & C river!!!
defibl
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby summer70 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:59 am

Congratulations!!! I am soo happy!!
summer70
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - HCG Related Issues